Which Type of Rollers Do You Prefer?

dreemssold

Does anyone like to wear their rollerset curls in their hair, and also use rollers to maintain them? My hair stays pretty curly by putting it in a loose bun and wearing my bonnet at night; however, my friend has tried this with no success. I am trying to drag her into the healthy hair cult
, so the first thing I want is for her to throw away her curling iron, but she won't do it without figuring out how to add some bend. She says the rollerset rollers are too hard, and I've told her sponge and magnetic can pull out too much hair (right?). What do you all think are the best ones? I've looked at tenderheaded.com, but I am reluctant to recommend even those because they are fabric, but not silk or satin. Even if you think sponge or magnetic are okay, please just let me know. Oh yeah, another option was for her to get a ceramic curling iron instead but I really don't know enough about them regarding how good they are for the hair's health. TIA!

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
I use magnatic or the snap rollers. I sleep in them all the time with out breakage. Some people have a hard time sleeping in them but I don't have a problem with that at all. In fact I can sleep in magnatic rollers better than sponge rollers.

simplyhair

I use the magnetic rollers. I even use the snap covers that go with them. The little bend from the covers don't bother me. I put a part in the middle and rollerset my hair at an angle so the curls fall similar to a spiral. My hair is cut into layers so the curls fall very nicely.

Yes, roller sets are difficult in the beginning. But once she does them every week (or whenever) you get better with the method
...the curls look better every time. Once I got a bone comb with a tail to part, it just got better with time. At least, this was how it was for me.

simplyhair

[ QUOTE ]
Raquel said:
I use magnatic or the snap rollers. I sleep in them all the time with out breakage. Some people have a hard time sleeping in them but I don't have a problem with that at all. In fact I can sleep in magnatic rollers better than sponge rollers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree

kitchen_tician

I use magnetic rollers with snap covers for roller sets and sponge rollers with satin overlay for dry hair.

I know sponge rollers are bad, but these are pretty good if you are careful not to put too much hair on the roller. I think they are made by HYPE HAIR and I bought them at Walmart. They are black sponge rollers, with a satin "slip cover" over top of the sponge part for protection. I love them.

aprilbiz

Tell her to try either these

http://www.tenderheaded.com/goodpilsofro.html

or these

http://www.zooscape.com/cgi-bin/maitred/RedSafari/questt300128

I use some like the black one's above but they are much larger. I believe I bought mine at Walgreen's but I couldn't find them on their site.

They give you an excellent curl in a short amount of time and are not as uncomfortable as magnetic rollers. They are about the same comfort level as the pink sponge rollers. I have never tried the completely soft ones, but plan to.

The smaller they are, the more comfortable they are.

Someone on the board mentioned that there are satin covered sponge rollers out there somewhere.

nolechik

FSU Alumni/Grad Student
Dreemssold...I'm in your friend's same situation. Curling irons have been my hair's backbone for years, but since joining the forum I'm trying to get out of that habit. I did (finally) complete my first rollerset today. I'm also going to purchase the satin covered rollers that were mentioned to give those a shot. And for quick, last minute curls, I'm gonna buy the Caruso Steam Rollers. I'm spending a lot of buckaroos in the next few weeks for my hair, but in the end I believe anything's better than direct heat!

LEOLADYSW

[ QUOTE ]
nolechik said:
Dreemssold...I'm in your friend's same situation. Curling irons have been my hair's backbone for years, but since joining the forum I'm trying to get out of that habit. I did (finally) complete my first rollerset today. I'm also going to purchase the satin covered rollers that were mentioned to give those a shot. And for quick, last minute curls, I'm gonna buy the Caruso Steam Rollers. I'm spending a lot of buckaroos in the next few weeks for my hair, but in the end I believe anything's better than direct heat!

[/ QUOTE ]
Vidal Sassoon has ionic steam rollers similar to Caruso, that are excellent.

Isis

What are your hair results of using these Vidal Sasson rollers? Do you have a link I can check out?

dreemssold

Thanks everyone!! I just read her all your answers via telephone, and I think we have agreed on the black sponge rollers with the satin cover. She doesn't really like the steam rollers, because she thinks her hair will be boufy. I have told her that hair loves steam, but oh well. Anyway, thanks again!!!

LEOLADYSW

My hair comes out curly with body and shine with both models. I have used both Caruso and Vidal Sassoon but I use Vidal Sassoon now exclusively. It has an on/off switch and the on/off ionizing switch. I use the ionizing feature. Go to www.amazon.com and do a search for Vidal Sassoon. That is where I bought mine.

Isis

Thank you! I love my Caruso rollers but I'm always open to new technology when it comes to hair health.

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
dreemssold said:
Thanks everyone!! I just read her all your answers via telephone, and I think we have agreed on the black sponge rollers with the satin cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let us know how she likes them!

BrEE

[ QUOTE ]
Raquel said:

[/ QUOTE ]

how in the heck do you sleep in them??? i tried that a couple of days ago and woke up two hours later from all the discomfort ad pain. is there a secret to it??maybe the smaller sized rollers are more comfortable.

dreemssold

[ QUOTE ]
kitchen_tician said:
[ QUOTE ]
dreemssold said:
Thanks everyone!! I just read her all your answers via telephone, and I think we have agreed on the black sponge rollers with the satin cover.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let us know how she likes them!

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do! BTW, your hair is gorgeous!

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
[ QUOTE ]
bree said:
[ QUOTE ]
Raquel said:

[/ QUOTE ]

how in the heck do you sleep in them??? i tried that a couple of days ago and woke up two hours later from all the discomfort ad pain. is there a secret to it??maybe the smaller sized rollers are more comfortable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the smaller size are more comfortable, but I tell you I can't wait until I can try the bigger size and see if I can sleep in them.