White/Apple Cider Vinegar!!!

NYCITY

I just read in Allure magazine that women with chemically treated hair ahould stick with spraying diluted WHITE CIDER VINEGAR as a clarifying rinse after shampooing. Then rinse out.
I think on this board there was more of an emphasis on Apple Cider Vinegar. Can someone tell me which one is correct...Or can they both be used? Which is most effective?

Nonie

I seem to recall reading somewhere that apple cider vinegar is better for dark hair, while white vinegar is better for blonde hair.

Peachtree

Thanks for bringing this to our attn

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Interesting. I have not ever done a vinegar rinse--got scared when someone said they smelled like pickles for a while!

Foxycus02

What are the benefits of this? and just when exactly do u do the rinse ive always heard that it should be the last one, is this accurate?

Allandra

Some folks do acv rinses after shampooing.
Some folks do acv rinses after conditioning.
I do my acv rinse after I shampoo my hair.

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
Adding my $.02--I disagree with Allure. White vinegar is apple cider vinegar…bleached. White and even distilled ACV are simply lacking.

I recommend Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar that is unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized and 5% acidity. Containing the Mother of Vinegar (naturally occurring strand-like chains of connected protein molecules).

Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is a great brand but there are others. If you use organic ACV in any dilution or even undiluted the smell will dissipate in 15 minutes as your hair dries. Here’s a helpful article: http://www.lacetoleather.com/wondrugpag2.html

Lindy

I've stopped doing my ACV rinses because I'm scared that it will affect my color... For some reason I'm afraid to use plain white vinegar...
Does anyone here use the white??

debyjay

I'm scared to do any type of vinegar! I know it's silly coz all you guys do it with great results, but I will stick to my Nexxus Ensure.

Lindy

Debyjay,
If your hair isn't colored, you should try it. It seemed to make my hair feel strong, and it definitely helped my scalp (keeps the itchies away!!!)

Nonie

Debyjay, this might help you understand better how the acidity or alkalinity of products affects our hair so that you aren't afraid to try the ACV. But remember, everything in moderation. Too much acid isn't a good thing either.

[ QUOTE ]
pH and hair

The key to the perming process lies in the fact that perming solution is alkaline. What exactly does this mean in relation to hair?

When scientists talk to each other about alkaline solutions and acid solutions, they need a way of measuring alkalinity and acidity. The scale they use for their measurements is called the pH scale.

The pH scale ranges from pH 1 to pH 14. All you need to remember is that acids have pH numbers less than 7. Alkalis have pH numbers greater than 7. The more acid the solution, the lower is the pH number; the more alkaline the solution, the greater the pH number.

pH is measured using special indicator papers which change color when the pH changes.

Hair responds to changes in pH. If a hair is placed in an alkaline solution it swells, and the scales of the cuticle lift. In a slightly acid solution, the scales lie smoothly and the hair is soft. In a strongly acid or alkaline solution, however, the keratin protein starts to break down.

[/ QUOTE ]
(Taken from World of Hair )

And this fact that acidity makes the scales of the cuticle lie flat further explains why an ACV rinse makes your hair shine.