Can You Leave Apple Cider Vinegar (diluted) in your hair?

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I have to piggyback on what nonie said about using an extremely diluted solution.

I found more success when I diluted my acv alot more and also when I rinsed it out.

My mix is 16oz distilled water. 1/2 to a little less than 1 tsp of acv. 10 drops of peppermint and 10 drops of Rosemary.

Sent from my iPhone while out living my best life!

DaiseeDay

I agree with Nonie and havilland
It's probably best diluted.

I tried leaving it in once and my head itched like crazy. It's best for me to rinse it out, but everyone is different.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse the typos.

GoodMernin

After my weekly overnight DC I usually use a cold green tea and ACV mix as my final rinse and I don't rinse it out.

I use 2 cups of steeped refrigerated cold green tea mixed with 2 tablespoons ACV and it works GREAT with smoothing my cuticles and keeping my hair from being bushy on the ends.
I LOVE it!!!

Now, the strength of the solution depends on the individual and how it works for them but my hair is extremely thick so I need it a bit stronger.

2sweetnsugarland

UPDATE!!! I used Nonie's method and it worked beautifully!! I love the way my hair felt after I used the ACV rinse. I put one tablespoon in a sinkful of water and just massaged my scalp until I got tired -- I'm short 5'3" so it was a stretch! :lachen::lachen: I was able to get my whole head in the sink and then use a plastic cup to pour some of the mixture over the back of my hair.

youwillrise

question for those who do acv as a final rinse (leaving it in). do you use any oils/butters after and when (right after when its soaking wet? damp? mostly dry? completely dry?)

Nonie

youwillrise using the ACV rinse as your final rinse should not change how you handle your hair after any wash. When in twists and braids, I use no products after my wash and that has remained the same. When wearing my hair out, if I have to be somewhere where decent looking hair is required, I will apply S Curl to my ACV-rinsed damp hair and style. If I don't have to go anywhere, since S Curl is better on dry hair, I will let my hair airdry bare in the braids I finished my wash in, then when fully dry, apply S Curl and style.

Last edited:

guyanesesista

YAY!!!!!! for acv!!!!!!!!! I've been having dryness, tangling, and porosity issues. My hair had a rough feeling to it even after an air dry no matter how much I overnight dc. I tried Nonie's solution, 1 tblsp to 8 cups(64oz) Poured over my head and now I have smooth air dried hair. Tangles are gliding out, hair feels soft with no leave in so far.

I'm 12 months into my transition with mbl hair and those tangles were scaring me cuz I really wanna see how long I could go without cutting my relaxed ends. The two textures were really not getting along till now. Plus no acv smell.

I think this formula is a decent one decent. Even at 1 tblsp per 8 cups water I can still taste the acv in it. I remember I did the 1 tblsp to 8oz a few years back and it was a disaster. I believe it wasn't dilute enough.

Khaiya

Nonie, you probably said it elsewhere before, but can you just explain for me how you do your baggy? It sounds like you just cover your head without adding any condish or anything, is that right?

Nonie

@Nonie, you probably said it elsewhere before, but can you just explain for me how you do your baggy? It sounds like you just cover your head without adding any condish or anything, is that right?

Khaiya that's right. If I'm wearing twists or braids, after I wash my hair (shampoo, conditioner, ACV rinse), I do not apply anything to my hair. I just style the twists and then every night put on a baggy. My twists are easier to work with when wet, so if I wake up in the AM and want to change the style they were in, I might do a CW so they are flexible and "obedient", otherwise I just wait till washday to change my style. But otherwise my hair stays bare, and every night I just put on a baggy for bed and in the AM take it off. Never do I apply a leave-in to my hair if in twists or braids.

The S Curl you hear me talk about happens only if I'm wearing my hair out and need to comb it. Then I apply S Curl to provide slip.

Khaiya

Nonie, so do you find any great benefits from baggying this way every night or is it just your way of protecting your hair at night?

MissCrawford

I use it in my homemade leave in. It's very diluted. It is a combination of ACV, favorite conditioner, a little oil and water. I dilute the ACV first then add the other ingredients. I'm talkin' a 3qt bottle of water. One cap full of the water bottle serves as the amount of ACV needed. It's the only leave in I will ever use ( I don't leave in proteins). I like to add sweet orange oil to give it a fresh smell. My hair loooooooooves it:lick::yep:

keepithealthy

I like using ACV to rinse out my conditioner. I was using too much for my hair initially and I was drying my hair out. But I have found that for me using 2 tablespoons to 8oz works great.

Nonie

@Nonie, so do you find any great benefits from baggying this way every night or is it just your way of protecting your hair at night?

Khaiya Well, I have baggied for years because I hate greasy pillow-cases and scarves and back in the day I used to use very "oily" products. I started baggying during Jheri Curl days. Then I would use Paltas on my new growth then or when relaxed or on my natural hair when I was natural, and it was uber greasy. I also know hair products used to give me acne, so keeping them off my face, especially when I slept was a bonus. After I misunderstood a regimen and thought it called for no leave-ins, I found baggying w/o products didn't hurt me. People complain of having mushy hair due to too much product. I don't have that. Others complain of itches, I don't have that. And on the point of itches, I know that I cannot DC overnight because my scalp itches something awful so yes, that's another benefit: no product means no itches for me. Some people also say that it takes forever for their hair to dry when they take the baggy off. I don't have that problem. Also there are those who have sinus problems or headaches from "wet head". I don't have that problem. I find baggying seems to encourage sebum production because even w/o any products my hair seems to get soft. I consider soft hair as moisturized hair, so it's like my hair can receive the natural moisture w/o anything in the way. I also love that baggying w/o product means my hair doesn't have a weird smell of fermented grease. I usually just smell conditioner on my hair. Then there's also the blessing of not having product rubbing on my neck and ears if I wear my hair down.

I suppose you can call all these benefits I get from baggying bare hair. I am just one of those people who doesn't fix what isn't broken, so while I discovered bare baggying just by chance, it hasn't caused me any problem so I don't know what benefits I'd get if I changed this and not really interested in messing up a good thing. I don't lose any internal moisture my hair has to scarves or hats or my beddings. Even when I wear headwraps or hats, I wear a baggy.

Khaiya

^That makes a lot of sense to me, i'd love to try it but i dont know how i'd keep the baggy on my head and the rustling would wake me up every time i turned.

Nonie

^That makes a lot of sense to me, i'd love to try it but i dont know how i'd keep the baggy on my head and the rustling would wake me up every time i turned.

Khaiya I mostly use Saran wrap for baggying. I style my hair how I want to wear it the next day. Saran wrap lies flat like a scarf would and doesn't rustle but it also locks in the style.

At night I go to bed like this:

In the AM, I rock this style:

So baggying with Saran wrap also saves me time in the morning as I don't have to do anything but take it off and be on my way.

candy626

I've been using slightly diluted ACV on my scalp the past couple of days to help get rid of dandruff :-/. I know one Youtuber I watch from time to time, said she slept with it on her scalp for three nights in a row and it completly cleared her dandruff.

I just don't want to do anything to damage or dry out my hair so I've been rinsing.

Khaiya

Nonie I gotta say, I tried your baggy method last night and my hair was so moisturized when I woke up this morning! My hair was slightly damp, it dried in about 5 minutes and my ends felt much better. I will definitely be making this a staple, thanks so much!

Embyra

I wouldn't leave it in or use it at all. I used diluted acv for nearly a year straight and believe it contributed to a great setback. It looked like my hair just disintegrated in some parts. Good thing you get to hear both sides. I only heard the success stories but didn't come across horror stories until I did a specific search-- but then it was too late

LLAAAAAAAAAWWWDD this is dreadful!!!:nono::nono:

Guitarhero

Nonie, I've finally found my ratio of acv+water rinse!!! Strands are nice and soft! I can't use a lot of it and I have to rinse it out...but I allow it to set about 20 min. I also rinse in the shower.

HairPleezeGrow

Natural.MediumFine.3c.
@Nonie

I want to thank you sooo much on your information on this ACV thing! I tried it last night. I co-washed/deep conditioned with organix macadamia condish with coconut oil on dry hair. Left it in for about 20 minutes & then added 1 tbs of ACV in 8 cups of water. Dipped my head and used a cup to pour over my entire head. Then left my hair drip dry and my hair felt so FREAKIN SOFT it wasnt even funny! I was actually able to run my fingers through my hair & not have to detangle at all. My curls seemed so defined they have never been like this. I have to try this on my girls next wash! Again thnx ma'am!

ETA- I got 2 mention I did rinse out the condish/oil b4 I applied the ACV/water.