"White" magazines and black hair care

caribeandiva

Human being
i have a lot of magazine subscriptions. i notice that the white magazines give way better hair care advice than the black hair magazines. i was looking through some old "Allure" issues and if i followed their advice i could've had hair down to my butt by now. if you ladies don't believe me pick up this month's issue, where 3 hair models talk about what keeps their hair healthy (deep conditioning, surprise surprise). why is that though?

Radianthealth

All the black hair magazines I have, give good advice. It is typical advice but it is still pretty solid. I think the "white" magazine promote product with better ingredients. I don't think the "white" magazines focus on moisture (daily) enough.

dicapr

The white magazine that I looked at just last month suggested using a leave in conditioner everyday and doing a hot oil treatment weekly. Not bad advice.

chiprecious

I completely agree, however I understand the rationale behind it. We have a tendency to not care so much about the health of the hair instead of the style. Also, I think society is just now starting to realize that we need our own or simply more products geared towards moisture and strength since that relaxer does sooo much damage to our hair. I know they get perms and color, but they do not get perms every 6-8 weeks...

PaperClip

trimbride said:
All the black hair magazines I have, give good advice. It is typical advice but it is still pretty solid. I think the "white" magazine promote product with better ingredients. I don't think the "white" magazines focus on moisture (daily) enough.

Just curious as to which black hair magazines you're reading....

preciousjewel76

chiprecious said:
I completely agree, however I understand the rationale behind it. We have a tendency to not care so much about the health of the hair instead of the style. Also, I think society is just now starting to realize that we need our own or simply more products geared towards moisture and strength since that relaxer does sooo much damage to our hair. I know they get perms and color, but they do not get perms every 6-8 weeks...

Sad, but so true. The same also applies to our bodies - we tend to focus more on stylish clothes than on a healthy body! We've got a long way to go on both fronts.

lexi08

RelaxerRehab said:
Just curious as to which black hair magazines you're reading....

Me too..... The Black Hair magazines I have purchased give crappy haircare advice.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
chiprecious said:

You hit the nail on the head. I also agree that they are also giving better product recommendations also.

CoCoGirl821

chiprecious said:

I couldn't agree with you more. These black hair care magazines focus on hair STYLE and not hair CARE. One magazine I have is talking about Monica and how she keeps her hair looking good and how its so healthy. And I'm thinking to myself, there is no way ANYONE would be able to keep their hair healthy at home by themselves if they BLEACHED their whole head blonde:eek: . Many of us are staying away from color because it is too damaging, along with having a relaxer, you can forget it. I have said it before and I will say it again, the only reason I even buy these mags are too get ideas for my very first sew-in, other than that i will rely on LHCF for hairCARE advice.

Radianthealth

I have read a number of articles in the black hair magazines that have been good advice. I think the magazine is Black Hair and the Braids magazine. It is usually in the question and advice section. It is true that 90% of the magazine is devoted to hair styling instead of actual care.

The celebrity tips are also useful, the sister from half and half gave great tips on how she does protective styles and cares for her natural hair. Lawrence Fishburn's wife (I can't recall her name) gave other tips on protective styling and using a mist of water and olive oil to keep moisture in her hair.

Namilani

I was reading my Shape the other day and it was some pretty good advice! Nothing to change my set regimine or change the things I've learned here, but still...

LovelyLionessa

I agree, and there are some good books out there too written by white authors, directed at curly hair types, white or black. I really like the book "Curly Girl" and I have "Curl Talk" by Ouidad, it has a lot of interesting things in it too.

Last edited:

LovelyLionessa

caribeandiva said:
^ i was thinking of picking up Ouidad's book. It looked interesting.

Yeah, I've only read parts of it so far, but I really like her ideas and writing style. Right now, I'm reading Paula Begoun's Don't Go Shopping for Haircare Products Without Me, it's another good hair read.

leleepop

chiprecious said:
This is really what time it is. White ppl except their texture, more than we do as a whole. They dont really bang their natural texture into submission like some of us do.

caribeandiva

Human being
Priestess said:
Yeah, I've only read parts of it so far, but I really like her ideas and writing style. Right now, I'm reading Paula Begoun's Don't Go Shopping for Haircare Products Without Me, it's another good hair read.

i read that a few months back. it is very informative.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Priestess said:
I agree, and there are some good books out there too written by white authors, directed at curly hair types, white or black. I really like the book "Curly Girl" and I have "Curl Talk" by Ouidad, it has a lot of interesting things in it too.

I have both of those books and I agree both are very interesting. I like the Curly Girl book more though. Her recipes sound pretty good.