Is it just me or are black hair magazines very unhelpful? Why?

Chioniso

I have learnt so much on LHCF -
I had never heard of things like co-wash and sealing, I used Pink, and 'Blue magic petroleum' on my hair and scalp and never wrapped my hair.

I had tried to be informed and bought black hair magazines occasionally trying to get ideas but really it seemed like they were just promoting products, not actually teaching anything. The models looked 'mixed' or weaved and I just thought 'I will never have hair like that' and stick in a weave. Is it just me? i.e was I just not reading them properly???

If that is just the way they are why do they not try and teach sisters how to keep their hair healthy? I can't understand it.

If I had not stumbled upon this site I don't know what would have happened? Yes, I am bald now, but in a couple of years when I do have some hair I would be back to straw-like damaged hair just from not knowing any better.

diadall

I remember looking at a black hair magazine in the late 90's and my friends and I picked out a few models that we thought were men.

I guess they are good for finding a new hairstyle but they don't offer information on care. That is probably why women on Youtube have filled that void.

I have learned more from the women in this forum than I have in my lifetime or any stylist.

Solitude

Yeah, there is zero helpful information in the hair mags. To me, they are just for displaying styles. I used to buy them back when I was a teen to look for ideas, but I haven't purchased one in many years. Another thing is that, the step-by-step sections are not the actual way the hairstyle was achieved. Like, they'll have a picture of a celeb in a lacefront, but then tell you how to do the style with a hair crimper, rollers, etc...only that is not how the style was created :ohwell:.

That one hair guide Essence put out was good, but I already knew all of that stuff from the hair boards.

Love Always

I use to get them years ago and I stopped because they're not helpful at all. They don't offer any good advice in regards to taking care of your hair. I just got it to look at the pictures and nothing else, even though most of the women were sporting weaves :ohwell:.

BostonMaria

I gave up on those black hair magazines about 20 years ago when I realized most of their tips were for weaves. I am actually surprised no one has come out with a natural hair magazine or at least have a natural hair section tucked in somewhere. Maybe its due to the abundance of information found online.

candita

they give no information and they show hairstyles, but not how to achieve them and most of them you need a weave for. Feels like a quarter of their adds are for weaves anways. I just find them to be stereotypical and embarassing tbh.

Allandra

I remember looking at a black hair magazine in the late 90's and my friends and I picked out a few models that we thought were men.

I guess they are good for finding a new hairstyle but they don't offer information on care. That is probably why women on Youtube have filled that void.

I have learned more from the women in this forum than I have in my lifetime or any stylist.
Exactly. There's so much on the the internet, I wouldn't even bother wasting my money on a hair magazine.

Christa438

I used to feel that way... but every once in a while I buy Hype or SBH, and I noticed that the hair information/advice is starting to be very helpful and health-oriented in the last few years. Even from casual conversations I've had, I just think people are (outside of LHCF) more aware and knowledgeable about combatting breakage/damage, and many (not all) desire longer lengths. I think it's gradual but it's happening.

greenandchic

Its all about styles, nothing about true hair care. Everything I learned about hair care came from the internet. From NP.com to Youtube to LHCF.

Elnahna

I only look at black hair magazines to maybe find a different hair style or see new hair colors. I never expect real hair care tips from them. Their "advice" is not valid, only trying to sell certain product. You can't tell me how to take care of my real hair by using models with weaves. So, when I am seeking real hair care I only come to LHCF. You Ladies are the BOOM :) I have learned so much from you all.

LittleLuxe

Black hair magazines just suck. If I wanted to look at pretty pictures of black hair I could go to google images. The main problem I have is that they pretend to teach something or that they want to empower black women when they don't.

Chioniso

For a lot of people those magazines are their source of info on hair care. It is very sad, some people do not use the internet that much and would never find helpful info.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
I do see some improvement, like someone earlier in the thread stated. One of them-is it black hair sophisticate or something definitely has a natural style section, and they've got some pretty good basic tips-shampoo, condition, protect your hair at night.

I think we're kinda in a hair matrix here, lol, and what we think is basic info might be solid gold to someone. folks out there in the real world are amazed at the concept of dc'ing.

londontresses

The last one I bought was when I'd just joined this forum and someone had written in to ask how they can grow their hair long. The 'expert' told her that it was genetically determined and that the length your hair had been your whole life would be length your hair would always be.

Yep...the last one I ever bought.

keepithealthy

I personally have never found them helpful but I will say the last time I breezed through one at my bss they had some nice natural styles featured.

Last edited:

Missigirl

I would love to see someone publish a real black hair care mag that has all of the info here and other places on the web that really works. I know most of my family only know about some things because of my hair sermons. Most people still buy these mag and the products they are selling.

Almaz

Styles only and I am sorry some of those styles look downright silly for everyday and the models are ho hum

SimJam

Ive nver bought one, and the only times I looked through were to find styles for hair cuts while at the salon and I rarely cut my hair anyways.

I have no idea of the content of articles etc

but I think now would be the best time for someone to start producing a quality black haircare magazine. Sticking an article on true healthy haircare here and there in a regular/traditional black haircare mag wont be sufficient. also the curriculum @ beauty schools will also have to be updated.

honestly I see this to be similar to the dificulties that many non traditional practicies/tecnogoly have with regards to mainstream buy-in eg: traditional vs western medical treatments, fossil fuel based energy vs renewables.

Because they are ruled by advertisers and the weave industry and they can only speak about what they sell. If they taught you about healthy hair practices, they'd teach themselves out of a job. I agree, it's for eye candy and weave styles only.

Last edited:

DrC

Most of the Black Hair Care magazines consist of women wearing weaves and extensions. Yeah you may have a natural hair beauty or two in there, but most of the time it is weave city and most of the women in the magazine don't even admit to wearing weave. they act as if its their own hair.

I bet that's why they've gone up in price because nobody sees them as the hair bibles they once were. They're $10 at Sally's and mostly filled with gossip nowadays.

SimJam

Because they are ruled by advertisers and the weave industry and they can only speak about what they sell. If they taught you about healthy hair practices, they'd teach themselves out of a job. I agree, it's for eye candy and weave styles only.

Msmchy I totally agree big industry is not in the least bit concerned about health - only to supply products in high volume and lowest price possible ----- it also helps to keep the buying public in the dark about potential side effects and healthier alternatives.

although I think there is some merit in keeping businesses small/artisenal/hand made/ hand crafted as SOMETIMES when those companies expand or go main stream quality of product input tends to decrease ... and we have a prime example of that :yep:

LaughingOctopus

I wouldn't say there isn't ANY helpful advice, but it's usually limited to maybe a page or its really trying to push a an entire product line. Essence and Sophisticates usually pump out the same winter hair routine page around this time of year. Like many have said online is the best bet for healthy hair whether you're relaxed or natural.

ChristmasCarol

I bet that's why they've gone up in price because nobody sees them as the hair bibles they once were. They're $10 at Sally's and mostly filled with gossip nowadays.

Wow! I used to buy them occasionally back in the day. I think they were about $3.00. Even then, I thought that was too much. The styles were either over-the-top or boring (French Rolls, Chignons). Many of the styles were a lil' too urban/young for my taste, anyways.

LittleLuxe

The interesting thing would be if someone did publish a hair CARE magazine for black women with health primarily in mind. It'd be interesting to see whether there'd be a real demand for this information and whether it'd be accepted. I say this because if there was a demand maybe there'd be more science done on black hair in general and a company would really put money into experimentation. Imagine if black hair care got as much funding as white cosmetic products...le sigh.

Wouldnt that be wonderful.

kellistarr

Nah. I don't get much from the hair mags. There is no information on how to care for the hair that is growing out of your head. I can look at styles anywhere and for cheap. There
are ads of hair care products, but I can look at products anywhere. There was this one publisher, maybe it was Sophisticates that used to do a braid issue. I liked that one because it was real people (and only natural celebs, but they hardly used celebs), with locs, braids etc. . . But I don't see it anymore.

mscocoface

That should be called black weave hair care mags. Not fronting on weaves just wish they would be real with it.

SuchaLady

Okay I am not trying to disagree for the sake of doing so but have you all looked at them lately? Maybe back before you found LHCF you really didnt know what to look for. I still buy them and I notice quite a few tips in them. Granted the magazines' main focuses are style and not haircare (most of their titles indicate this) it isnt 100 pages of hair care tips.Not to mention alot of the techniques that we have grown to love in the cyber hair world. Yes they are easily google-able to write an article on but then that gets into "why pay for something I can get for free on a hair board" :look:

Last edited: