white people's shampoo vs

ladylibra_30

white people\'s shampoo vs

black people's shampoo.

ladies, is it all the same? is the only difference marketing?

i usually purchase product lines (design essentials, keracare, elasta qp, nexxus-shamboosie's top-pick, etc.) that black people are the majority users of.

as of late i've purchased a boat-load of product lines that i've always associated with white people's hair (herbal essences, suave, garnier fructis, loreal, neutrogena) and this stuff is showing out in my hair!!!!

what in the world is going on?

Re: white people\'s shampoo vs

[ QUOTE ]
ladylibra_30 said:
black people's shampoo.

ladies, is it all the same? is the only difference marketing?

i usually purchase product lines (design essentials, keracare, elasta qp, nexxus-shamboosie's top-pick, etc.) that black people are the majority users of.

as of late i've purchased a boat-load of product lines that i've always associated with white people's hair (herbal essences, suave, garnier fructis, loreal, neutrogena) and this stuff is showing out in my hair!!!!

what in the world is going on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's just marketing. Use whatever works for you.
up.gif

I have never thought of Herbal Essences, Suave, L'oreal or Garnier Fructis as "white people's" hair products.

[ QUOTE ]
jrw said:
I have never thought of Herbal Essences, Suave, L'oreal or Garnier Fructis as "white people's" hair products.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the name of the products sounds like it. I tired Gariner Frutis it works a little bit but a biggie for me.

Why do products have to be for a certain race of people...most black women use products strictly marketed to our race and they look a fool by the head...Like SVT said...whatever works for you

[ QUOTE ]
jrw said:

[/ QUOTE ]

probably because these arent items you really have to specifically go to an asian hair store to buy, that normally sells "blk hair care" products. rather you can find these in the supermarket or the drugstore, etc

Some shampoos like Nexxus Botanoil is for "chemically damaged hair" or "coloured, bleached, permed or relaxed hair" which applies to all who have these conditions, white or black.

I guess I never really thought of hair products in this manner. Yes, of course, there are products marketed to a certain group, like Ulta Sheen, for example. However, I was under the impression that hair is hair, at least physiologically.

northernbelle

Ditto! I spoke to a stylist at JcPenney once and she said that hair is hair and that you have to find the right products for your hair type.

I've found that I have better success w/salon quality products. But I don't use salon lines that are specifically formulated for black hair, like Mizani. I tend to use the dry or damaged end of typically "white" product lines. I think they address the drier nature of black hair more effectively.

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
I've found that I have better success w/salon quality products. But I don't use salon lines that are specifically formulated for black hair, like Mizani. I tend to use the dry or damaged end of typically "white" product lines. I think they address the drier nature of black hair more effectively.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA! I actually prefer "white" brands because a lot of the "black" brands are full of mineral oil, petroleum, lanolin which I don't like. Use what works for your hair type and condition.

I just picked up some Garnier Shampoo. I can't wait to try it.
trampoline.gif
I'm tempted to take my weave out, just so I can wash my hair with it.
laugh.gif
scratchchin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:
[ QUOTE ]
jrw said:

[/ QUOTE ]

probably because these arent items you really have to specifically go to an asian hair store to buy, that normally sells "blk hair care" products. rather you can find these in the supermarket or the drugstore, etc

[/ QUOTE ]

huh.gif
Huh?
confused.gif
I'm not following. What do you mean?

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
I think it's just marketing. Use whatever works for you.
up.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
D I T T O

a friend of mine put me on to garnier fructis' three minute deep conditioner and i love it..i use the whole line for dry or damaged hair...and i certainly have "black folks" hair

A lot of "white" hair products are pretty good for black hair. When some of my friends find out that I use some of those products, they look at me like I'm crazy or something. They haven't really said that much to me since my hair is getting longer and healthier.

<font color="purple">Besides caucassion hair, most races can use different shampoos and conditioners that may work on their types of hair. I don't see why not. I use Pantene, Aussie, Suave, VO5, etc. I agree with the 2 ladies here. I don't like petroleum or mineral oil on my hair. And use the one that suits you like a tea. Other than that, there's no such thing as "for caucassion hair only". Toodles </font>

There is no such thing..I don't know what my mom used on me when I was little..but ever since I've been doing my own hair..and as far as I can remember, I've only use products that were not specifically formulated for black hair.. besides a relaxer.. In fact, I've never bought any until I found this board and none have ever been used on me..unless my mom did when I was little...so I say, like BabyCurls did, there is no such thing for "caucasion hair only" products.

When I went up to the counter at Ulta to pay for my TIGI Dumb Blonde shampoo and conditioner there was a white lady standing in front of me. She turned around and look at what I had on the counter and said "dumb blonde" she looked kind of confused
confused.gif

I cooly said to her, "all of their products have those funny names but their products are great" She kind of just looked at me and said "ok" I thought the whole senario was kind of funny cause she probably what that black woman with dark brown hair was doing with "dumb blonde shampoo"
grin.gif

Lol. Today i got my products that i ordered from avon which were on sale and my mum started talking about they are going to be bad for my hair blah blah blah. So i said, they're just going to clean my hair. And she was all like "we can't use these products, and that i should only use 'black' products because it has things to soften our hair". But it's the deep conditioning after that helps to soften our hair but she just doesn't get it. I just wanted to try some shampoo that smells nice.

i like organix...
i use products typically marketed to "white" ppl...except..

Loreal products and this includes fructis, due to their past racism.

I don't think there's a such thing as "white people's poo's".....all poos have the same different kinds of ingredients to cleanse the hair. Lucky for us who are into hair care know better. Whether we opt for natural ingredients or not, it really does't matter "who" the product markets, as long as it cleanse the hair. I have to admit, it is funny to watch yt folks look at me crazy when I'm in the "yt section" of hair care products rather than in the "other row, in the ever so small 'ethnic' section".

I don't think there's a such thing as "white people's poo's".....all poos have the same different kinds of ingredients to cleanse the hair. Lucky for us who are into hair care know better. Whether we opt for natural ingredients or not, it really does't matter "who" the product markets, as long as it cleanse the hair. I have to admit, it is funny to watch yt folks look at me crazy when I'm in the "yt section" of hair care products rather than in the "other row, in the ever so small 'ethnic' section".

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:
This has happened to me. I've even had a cashier give me the side-eye.

but, to the OP, it's all marketing and sometimes 'ethnic' products have more mineral oil. yuck.

Yeah, those are "normal".... and the stuff for black people is ethnic... the kicker is is that some white people have ethic hair and many black people can benefit from the stuff in the "normal" section

It's all just a marketing ploy. I don't buy into that whole "white vs black" thing when it comes to hair care. As long as it's going to benefit my hair, I don't care who it's marketed towards. If my hair prefers Frederic Fekkai over Dark N Lovely, then that's what my hair likes. Who is anyone else to tell me what I should and shouldn't use on my hair when they nothing about my hair?!

Actually many are developed and tested on white people's hair. Some manufacturers/sellers especially these days are developing hair products that work across a broad range of hair types - they've heard the stats about black women and how much money we spend on hair, etc., so what seller wouldn't perk up their ears?? But this hasn't always been the case. That's why there sometimes is a difference. Today many brands have so many different formulas it's easier to find one out of the selection that will work for you.

I've used Mizani and it was ok, used Dudley and I like the protein treatments and such but leave the rest alone. Most "black products" are found in my handy Asian beauty supply store (though Mizani/Nexxus has made it to HEB shut up lol) But I find myself cringing at the ingredients we've all learned to avoid. Lanolin, and petro., and mineral oils....to each his own. I've had that stuff in my hair all my life and could never get it to grow. I've seen healthier hair with the "white products":grin: like Neutrogena pure strength and other conditioners. they make me and the hair happy and that's all that matters.

My thought: If it works, no matter the label or market, use it!

Back