Who does NOT believe in growth aids

Sistaslick

I don't believe in growth aids per se'. Depends on what you mean. Anything can be a "growth aid" if you were lacking in that particular thing and started taking it again. Like if someone is iron or vitamin A deficient and they start taking a supplement to correct that iron or vitamin A imbalance, then it would stand to reason that they'd see more growth after that but it wouldn't be more than they are genetically predisposed to getting. Nothing can surge you past your genetic maximum per month. If someone is completely normal and just wants to take something to speed normal growth, it's not going to do anything for ya. I believe in growth aids when they are correcting a deficiency and providing someone key substances their body in general needs, but I don't believe that they can do anything for someone who is already in a normal healthy state.

Prescription Minoxidil is the only product/medication actually scientifically proven to grow the hair in those who are experiencing hairloss due to natural causes. It does not speed the growth of the regular healthy hair, but encourages dormant follicles to begin producing again. It takes several months to begin working, and once the treatment ends, the hair that was grown using it falls right back out. :ohwell: This drug works because it is able to interact with the body on a hormonal level. Hormones regulate growth, shedding, and all other hair actions of the follicles. Nothing else.

I don't knock those who choose to use them, though! Where a person might attribute their growth to product X, I usually just attribute the growth to them and their overall healthy hair care. No one has ever seen growth that kept on doing ridiculous, obviously detrimental hair practices. Most times when folks are on aids, they also have a tight regimen all around--so I'm definitely more likely to see the growth as a testament to their entire regimen-- not that single product. :)

Time and patience are also pretty good growth aids. Works every time. :lol:

nikkivale

I don't bother anymore, its too much work and the growth wasn't even consistent. The only thing I use now is Womens daily vitamin and its more for health than hair.

LocksOfLuV

Sistaslick said:
I don't believe in growth aids per se'. Depends on what you mean. Anything can be a "growth aid" if you were lacking in that particular thing and started taking it again. Like if someone is iron or vitamin A deficient and they start taking a supplement to correct that iron or vitamin A imbalance, then it would stand to reason that they'd see more growth after that but it wouldn't be more than they are genetically predisposed to getting. Nothing can surge you past your genetic maximum per month. If someone is completely normal and just wants to take something to speed normal growth, it's not going to do anything for ya. I believe in growth aids when they are correcting a deficiency and providing someone key substances their body in general needs, but I don't believe that they can do anything for someone who is already in a normal healthy state.

Prescription Minoxidil is the only product/medication actually scientifically proven to grow the hair in those who are experiencing hairloss due to natural causes. It does not speed the growth of the regular healthy hair, but encourages dormant follicles to begin producing again. It takes several months to begin working, and once the treatment ends, the hair that was grown using it falls right back out. :ohwell: This drug works because it is able to interact with the body on a hormonal level. Hormones regulate growth, shedding, and all other hair actions of the follicles. Nothing else.

I don't knock those who choose to use them, though! Where a person might attribute their growth to product X, I usually just attribute the growth to them and their overall healthy hair care. No one has ever seen growth that kept on doing ridiculous, obviously detrimental hair practices. Most times when folks are on aids, they also have a tight regimen all around--so I'm definitely more likely to see the growth as a testament to their entire regimen-- not that single product. :)

YEAH! :yep: What she said!

:look: :lol:

bocagirl

I don't believe in them because so many people here use them and still haven't achieved their desired length, and as soon as the next one comes along they jump ship and try it. If it was working so well why stop using it and why is the hair not even midback by now?

meia

seeminglysweet said:
I am wondering who has achieved significant growth without the use of MTG, horsetail tea/herbs, flaxseed, biotin and other various supplments that we have determined could increase growth?

I love reading about everyone's success with oral and topical growth aids and I use MTG occasionally and take a multi for general health but I find it so hard to keep up with all the new developments that I just want to let nature take its course (with proper moisture and care, of course) and grow at whatever rate it wants to grow at.

Hey Seeminglysweet!
I find now that i'm natural, i'm relying less and less on growth aides. I used to love what they did to my hair but once I got to a length that I felt comfortable, I stopped reaching for my MTG, MN, and other products. Its so hard in general to keep up with the applications and some of the applications have bad side effects like MTG- burning, scaly skin, irritation (in some cases for some individuals) and MN- Dryness and itchiness so I just stopped the whole way around.

I did figure out once I became natural that the whole reason I did it is to enjoy my hair as it truly is and just to enjoy the experience it provided for me. Thats why I stopped. It was taking the fun out of doing my hair and I couldn't have that! Doing my hair has always been so much fun for me. I don't knock those who have the persistence and patience to use growth aids (i was right there with those ladies who do!) but its just not for me anymore (although, lol if i can't keep away I might get some WGO- lol what! I like the softness!) lol

HoneyDew

I hate calling people out, so I will just say this - I HAVE seen people get kudos on their progress only to find out that they have been using MTG or whatever.

Many people don't use them and get the same kudos, BUT THERE ARE ladies on this board that reached their goals, or made progress quickly in that direction with growth aids.

No one ever brings that point out when they post the "Look at her fotki!" shout-outs.

It does not matter to me if someone does or not, but it is never mentioned. Maybe the folks that don't believe in growth aids never enter those threads, but there are some of those ladies right in there talking about their growth aids.

MzOptimistic

Sistaslick said:

I agree, I take vitamins and I use BT but my regimen is also ON POINT! ;) so that may explain why my hair is growing faster.I'll admit I have slacked off of taking my vitamins and my hair is still growing pretty fast! So who knows maybe I will scratch vitamins from my list in the future..I don't think I need them...:cool:

PinkSkates

Nope! I do not believe in hair growth aids. I believe in eating clean, being physically active and keeping my scalp clean and clog free. That's all I need for healthy hair growth. If I want to waste my money, I will go to las vegas and gamble, and not buy "miracle hair growth products".

Sistaslick

HoneyDew said:
I hate calling people out, so I will just say this - I HAVE seen people get kudos on their progress only to find out that they have been using MTG or whatever.
Many people don't use them and get the same kudos, BUT THERE ARE ladies on this board that reached their goals, or made progress quickly in that direction with growth aids.

No one ever brings that point out when they post the "Look at her fotki!" shout-outs.

It does not matter to me if someone does or not, but it is never mentioned. Maybe the folks that don't believe in growth aids never enter those threads, but there are some of those ladies right in there talking about their growth aids.

I hear what you're saying HD, but I still have to say that their total regimens were also on point. I've never heard anyone say: Girl, you have to share your regimen! And the poster say: "Oh, I use ABC grow powder and that's it!" :lol: They usually use growth aids in addition to a well organized basic regimen. I'm willing to bet if you subtract the "growth aid" and leave everything else the same-- we'd still be shouting them out because of their progress. From my understanding of how hair growth works, I just cannot logically attribute growth success to a product. (unless, its the prescription mentioned above) .

I mean the whole thing about hair growth is that it truly happens at the ends of the hair. Nobody cares how much newgrowth you have if it isn't showing up in milestones on the ends of your hair. Retention is where it's at. Growth aids don't affect retention-- they are generally focused on the scalp to promote emergence, right? Retention is where the length comes from, and that is truly the result of a solid regimen. That's why I'm more inclined to say that it was your well put together regimen that got you results, not product X.

Also, most of the people I've seen who've reached milestones with growth aids achieved their length in the same time as others who didn't. I haven't seen any group of people or any one person meet goals in miraculous or "record timing." I just haven't, but I'm not going to tell anyone else what is working or not working for them. :ohwell: If they like what they see, that's all that matters! Me, I'm gonna shout you out no matter how you got there! :yep: :lol:

SignatureBeauty

HoneyDew said:

I do hear you! I mean when I first went Natural in 2003 and had a Twa I was so ready for my hair to grow out so I bought MTG and it did give me some extra growth but I couldn't hang with it, I never had a problem with growth I just wanted it faster LOL!! then I realxed I went back forth like 50-11 times, so this last time I started fresh in January 2007 and I had great growth in 6 months from just doing what I do and without the use of Topical Growth aids and I am very proud of myself because I know my hair can grow, and If a growth aid gave me that growth then I would say so, but it didn't, Like I stated before BT helps with my itchy scalp but it does not grow my hair like others, I haven't had that inch in one month, about 4 weeks ago I had people tell me I had good growth in six months and they were surprised that I didn't use any growth aids to get my growth LOL!!! But it was like they wanted me to say BT gave me this growth or MTG, but it didn't, Growth aids do not help me, I mean I believe you can use all the growth aids you want but if you don't take care of yourself inside and out then you won't see anything.

People don't want to believe that that you just shampoo/condition, deep condition once a week, use a leave in, exercise, drink water/no heat, protective styling or Conditioner wash to get that growth, They don't believe that, they want to hear of what growth aid you used, My growth is the same no matter what I use LOL!! I have tried it all but it is only when I do what I do, I succeed in my hair's growth and health which is keep it simple, by cleansing, conditioning & moisturizing, I oil my scalp once a week sometimes once every 2 weeks.

Last edited:

LocksOfLuV

Sistaslick said:
I hear what you're saying HD, but I still have to say that their total regimens were also on point. I've never heard anyone say: Girl, you have to share your regimen! And the poster say: "Oh, I use ABC grow powder and that's it!" :lol: They usually use growth aids in addition to a well organized basic regimen. I'm willing to bet if you subtract the "growth aid" and leave everything else the same-- we'd still be shouting them out because of their progress. From my understanding of how hair growth works, I just cannot logically attribute growth success to a product. (unless, its the prescription mentioned above) .

I mean the whole thing about hair growth is that it truly happens at the ends of the hair. Nobody cares how much newgrowth you have if it isn't showing up in milestones on the ends of your hair. Retention is where it's at. Growth aids don't affect retention-- they are generally focused on the scalp to promote emergence, right? Retention is where the length comes from, and that is truly the result of a solid regimen. That's why I'm more inclined to say that it was your well put together regimen that got you results, not product X.

Also, most of the people I've seen who've reached milestones with growth aids achieved their length in the same time as others who didn't. I haven't seen any group of people or any one person meet goals in miraculous or "record timing." I just haven't, but I'm not going to tell anyone else what is working or not working for them. :ohwell: If they like what they see, that's all that matters! Me, I'm gonna shout you out no matter how you got there! :yep: :lol:

YEAH, what SHE said AGAIN!:look: :lol:

Lemme get my co-signing ass outta here and give Sista her jock back!:lol: But HoneyD, you have great points too!

Lusa

I don't use any growth aids. I am still quite skeptical as to what real additional growth is achieved by using them. I have a regime that has aided my overall hair health, and I am better able to retain length because I experience minimal breakage. I don't need a miracle powder or potion to achieve this.

HoneyDew

Sistaslick said:

Well I have to admit this: Since I stopped using growth aids I kinda have a slight hate (in search of a better word definitely) towards those that do. Not in a major way, but I guess I feel like they are cheating. Because I don't get the same growth rate, are others going to give me kudos for my milestones? I guess I should not care much, but this board is about positive reinforcement, too.

Anyway, since I stopped using aids and just concentrate on my hair and health, my hair as DONE SO MUCH BETTER! So I am going to stick with what works. I don't even think I get 1/2 inch a month, but when I see others getting all the extra growth and praises about it, it tempts me to do the same. The only thing that keeps me from it is the progress THAT I SEE since I stopped using topical products.

Anyway, my previous thread was just a slight vent. I do see major use of these aids and comments on the fast growth people get.

When I used the aids my hair did grow faster, but it was too fast for me to care for in the way that I was used it. Because of that, they did more harm than good. So I will just have to wait the 2-3 years to reach my goals and that's okay. :)

indigodiva

imstush said:
Since I've been a member here I've tried just about everything. MTG did help me with transitioning. I stopped because I got scared, started using BT but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, maybe because I don't relax so I can't tell where the "new growth" starts. I have been taking vitamins - biotin, b5, shen min, iron and a multi. I purchased some more MTG which I am now selling (Never used). Once I finish up my vitamins taking it back old school to the scotts emulsion what my mom used to give me as a child, and laying off of the growth aides because I no longer believe in them.

ETA: I have surge also that doesn't do anything for me. About to sell it.

What?!:eek: You mean I wasn't the only one forced to take atrocious liquid?!:lol:...Thankfully, I discovered fish oil pills...But I rarely got sick when I was younger, either;)..maybe I need to get back to it:ohwell:

PanamasOwn

Since I've been a member here I've tried just about everything. MTG did help me with transitioning. I stopped because I got scared, started using BT but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, maybe because I don't relax so I can't tell where the "new growth" starts. I have been taking vitamins - biotin, b5, shen min, iron and a multi. I purchased some more MTG which I am now selling (Never used). Once I finish up my vitamins taking it back old school to the scotts emulsion what my mom used to give me as a child, and laying off of the growth aides because I no longer believe in them.

ETA: I have surge also that doesn't do anything for me. About to sell it.

wow you really took it back for me..I forgot all about that!!!! And my hair was SUPER THICK AND LONG.....I might have to go back to this as well...

loved

I purchased Surge 14 in May & have been stretching since that time, so I am not sure whether it gave me any extra growth, but I doubt it. I did take a 30 day bottle of the WalMart hair skin & nail vitamins and my nails were beautiful, but I will not be able to examine my hair until I take my weave out & relax in Sept.

I will stick w/ the multi & a healthier diet/exercise regimen & better care for my hair w/ leave-ins, moisture & protection, but I even if there is extra growth it seems to be so incremental as to not be worth it.