Who Does Their Own Lye Touch-Up?

fletgee

I was thinking of doing my own lye perm:scratchch and wondered who here has done so. The no-lye perms do not seem to work for me. :nono: They always leave me with brittle, dry, breaking hair.:whyme:

I need advice and details. Can you ladies help me? Pretty please?:Rose: :Rose:

I have the same problem. No-lye sucks on my hair. But I can't do my own lye because any lye burns the crap out of me. I'd like to know the answer to this question, too.

Hi All!

I am at just below BSL and have done my own relaxers for YEARS! I switched to lye and my hair has NEVER FELT BETTER!

Here is how I do my touch ups:

I make four sections, since my hair is so thick I have to divide each of those sections in half.

I do a loose two strand twist with each of those sections, (making sure that the newgrowth itself is not twisted) put nutralizer shampoo on the ends and secure (the neutralizer shampoo protects the hair I don't want overlapped with relaxer). I then start to put in my relaxer on one twist at a time starting with where I have my tightest curls (front,middle). I do not take down the twist before I apply the relaxer. The twists are very loose and secured only on the end loosely with ouchless bands. I work reallly carefully and fast. (You could say I only texturize.)

Once I have finished applying relaxer to the new growth, I take down the loose twists,
(this method really works to keep from getting the relaxer on the ends and to keep longer hair from tangling if you are doing it by yourself). I shed very little hair applying it this way.

I then nutralize shampoo until all the "pink" has turned white and then do it once or twice more (yes, I am paranoid). Then I condition.

I hope some of this will help.

Softresses,

Back