No-lye + Confusion = Straight "lyes"

BeautifullySo

Problem: Blaming each product I've bought for breaking off my hair, then throwing it across the room and cursing it for not having ceramide technology, which 9 out of 10 LHCFers give a thumbs up. This is a rough estimate, of course :). Anyway, all of this "product abuse" is without knowing whether my stylist uses lye or no-lye, and not being able to remember if she does the positive link step (Affirm). So I...

Call the Salon: Now, this isn't my first call. I've been calling her after...oh, I'd say...every new post I read, so she may just be sick of me. Here's how the call went after we established I'm a regular and she remembers, pretty well, how she does my hair: S = stylist.

Me:"...so is it lye, or no-lye"
S: "Hold on, let me see"
.....inaudible mumbling....
S: "It does not say"
Me:"Uhm, it doesn't say anything at all? Can you tell if it's Affirm regular formula? Fiberguard? Does it say anything about sodium hydroxide, or guanidine hydroxide?"
S: "Ahh, no. I have the professional formula so it does not say. It's not what you could buy in the store."
M: "Okay, I just wanted to know because I read that if you use a lye formula, your hair may need more protein and if you use no-lye, then moisture is crucial an.."
S: "All perms have lye, even when they say it is no-lye, it still has a little bit of lye in it. All hair needs protein, just not everyday."
.....convo changes to good deep conditioners and keracare.....

Result: Even though my stylist tried her best to answer my questions, I still have no idea what kind of relaxer she uses and I forgot to ask about the positive link step. Now, she's not answering the phone. Something I said? She did tell me that I could bring in my own products so I guess that's a plus.

My questions to you:
How important is it to know what kind of relaxer your stylist uses?
This is my "school stylist" and what if she uses no-lye and my "home stylist" uses lye? Will that kill my hair?

Another mini problem: I put S-curl on my ends last night and I guess they were so offended that I'd dare use "jherri curl juice" on them, they banded together and fell out. :mad: A bit rude, I thought. The roots didn't mind so much but what am I doing wrong? I'm 5 weeks post, my regi (5-7 days) is to prepoo with anything (usu. ORS pak) and all the rest (poo, condition, rollerset...) with Keracare something or another...

Moroni

Problem: Blaming each product I've bought for breaking off my hair, then throwing it across the room and cursing it for not having ceramide technology, which 9 out of 10 LHCFers give a thumbs up. This is a rough estimate, of course :). Anyway, all of this "product abuse" is without knowing whether my stylist uses lye or no-lye, and not being able to remember if she does the positive link step (Affirm). So I...

Call the Salon: Now, this isn't my first call. I've been calling her after...oh, I'd say...every new post I read, so she may just be sick of me. Here's how the call went after we established I'm a regular and she remembers, pretty well, how she does my hair: S = stylist.

Me:"Uhm, it doesn't say anything at all? Can you tell if it's Affirm regular formula? Fiberguard? Does it say anything about sodium hydroxide, or guanidine hydroxide?"
S: "Ahh, no. I have the professional formula so it does not say. It's not what you could buy in the store."
M: "Okay, I just wanted to know because I read that if you use a lye formula, your hair may need more protein and if you use no-lye, then moisture is crucial an.."
S: "All perms have lye, even when they say it is no-lye, it still has a little bit of lye in it. All hair needs protein, just not everyday."

Result: Even though my stylist tried her best to answer my questions, I still have no idea what kind of relaxer she uses and I forgot to ask about the positive link step. Now, she's not answering the phone. Something I said? She did tell me that I could bring in my own products so I guess that's a plus.

My questions to you:
This is my "school stylist" and what if she uses no-lye and my "home stylist" uses lye? Will that kill my hair?

Another mini problem: I put S-curl on my ends last night and I guess they were so offended that I'd dare use "jherri curl juice" on them, they banded together and fell out. :mad: A bit rude, I thought. The roots didn't mind so much but what am I doing wrong? I'm 5 weeks post, my regi (5-7 days) is to prepoo with anything (usu. ORS pak) and all the rest (poo, condition, rollerset...) with Keracare something or another...

Hey! You've got me dying here! :lachen::lachen:

Yeah, it's extremely important to know what your relaxer chemical is. If your stylist "doesn't know", then taking your own would be the best option, the next best is to find an enlightened stylist!

Deep conditioning with moisture is vitally important, and if your relaxer is a lye relaxer, including a bit of protein is also critical. My relaxer is no-lye, and my hair is so protein-sensitive, it seems that only a grain-derived protein, or silk protein will work on it, otherwise, it snaps, crackles and pops right off my head.

Alternating lye and no-lye is deadly to the strands in my opinion. HTH

Evazhair

Affirm is supposed to be only sold to professionals so any true affirm relaxer is the professional formula
She either doesn't know what she it talking about or is running some weak game IMO.Also how the heck does she not know what she is using on folks' hair. Bollocks! I also get the impression that she is one of those stylists who don't really appreciate it when their clients try to become more educated about their hair.

My questions to you:
How important is it to know what kind of relaxer your stylist uses? Very important. Some will claim great results by using various brands of lye/no lye interchangably, but in general, it's not a good idea. You need to know what chemical is being used on your hair. IMO very important to use the same brand and formula of relaxer consistently for best results

Possibly. Again IMO it is best to know what is being used on your hair, so you know what works. This way you can avoid possible damage. Please demand to know, see, read the label of any relaxer that is used on you and make sure that only that is used on you. All of these things you have mentioned are some of my personal dealbreakers. If I were you, I would find a new stylist who cares enough to know what products they use on their regular clients.

BeautifullySo

Hey! You've got me dying here! :lachen::lachen:

Yeah, it's extremely important to know what your relaxer chemical is. If your stylist "doesn't know", then taking your own would be the best option, the next best is to find an enlightened stylist!

Deep conditioning with moisture is vitally important, and if your relaxer is a lye relaxer, including a bit of protein is also critical. My relaxer is no-lye, and my hair is so protein-sensitive, it seems that only a grain-derived protein, or silk protein will work on it, otherwise, it snaps, crackles and pops right off my head.

Alternating lye and no-lye is deadly to the strands in my opinion. HTH

Yea, I used a protein based dc this week and my hair is definitely doing the snap, crackle, pop thing. Maybe I'll cool out with protein for a while. Thanks!

BeautifullySo

Affirm is supposed to be only sold to professionals so any true affirm relaxer is the professional formula
She either doesn't know what she it talking about or is running some weak game IMO.Also how the heck does she not know what she is using on folks' hair. Bollocks! I also get the impression that she is one of those stylists who don't really appreciate it when their clients try to become more educated about their hair.

My questions to you:
How important is it to know what kind of relaxer your stylist uses? Very important. Some will claim great results by using various brands of lye/no lye interchangably, but in general, it's not a good idea. You need to know what chemical is being used on your hair. IMO very important to use the same brand and formula of relaxer consistently for best results

Possibly. Again IMO it is best to know what is being used on your hair, so you know what works. This way you can avoid possible damage. Please demand to know, see, read the label of any relaxer that is used on you and make sure that only that is used on you. All of these things you have mentioned are some of my personal dealbreakers. If I were you, I would find a new stylist who cares enough to know what products they use on their regular clients.

My stylist is a really nice woman, and I'll feel bad going in and telling her she's doing the wrong things to my hair but you make a great point. While I'm keeping quiet and not demanding to see products because she's nice, my hair is steadily breaking off...

wannabelong

My questions to you:

ITA with this post, especailly the bolded. It's her job to know what she is putting in your hair. If she can't tell you what products (especially which relaxer) she's using then it would be a good idea to bring your own just to be on the safe side or better yet, find a new stylist who know what products they are using.

Sly

S: "Ahh, no. I have the professional :lachen::lachen:formula so it does not say. It's not what you could buy in the store."
boo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

everybody with a store front is not professional . . .:lachen::lachen::lachen:

get rid :sad: of them

Evazhair

ITA with this post, especailly the bolded. It's her job to know what she is putting in your hair. If she can't tell you what products (especially which relaxer) she's using then it would be a good idea to bring your own just to be on the safe side or better yet, find a new stylist who know what products they are using.

I understand, I've definitely been there. I try to begin with something like "I'm not trying to be difficult", "I don't mean any harm", or "I am really concerned about...." just in the best possible way to not be offensive. But that doesn't always work, especially if they are a control freak. If they snap on you, don't let them make you feel you are wrong for asking questions and find another stylist STAT!

Kurlee

My questions to you:

Another mini problem: I put S-curl on my ends last night and I guess they were so offended that I'd dare use "jherri curl juice" on them, they banded together and fell out. :mad: A bit rude, I thought.The roots didn't mind so much but what am I doing wrong? I'm 5 weeks post, my regi (5-7 days) is to prepoo with anything (usu. ORS pak) and all the rest (poo, condition, rollerset...) with Keracare something or another...
Why am I LOL:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::rofl: I love the way you wrote this