Who else has been here more than a year and STILL not APL?

frizzy

I'm nowhere near APL either, I stopped cutting the back of my hair Dec '07 to get some damage and layers out, but as you see in my avi....

I'm seriously thinking about getting my hair cut into an earlength bob so that the front is as long or longer than the back. I hate the scraggly ends and no-shape trims I've given myself over the last 2 years. I think my scissors are garbage too, which is not good for the ends.:perplexed

Nonie

To answer your subject-line question... Me, me, me! :wave: But I don't let it bother me either. I just enjoy my hair and if I get there, I get there. After all, I've made strides I never thought I would make had you asked me many years ago. I had an unplanned BC last Feb that took me back a few steps. But I don't know if I would've been at APL had it not happened. I try not to focus on length or growth, but rather I aim to enjoy the journey. I am yet to do real protective styling where my ends stay hidden endlessly. Maybe that would make a difference, but I'm not pressed.

So don't feel bad, Glib Gurl. There are many in this club. ;) Some have been members longer than you. :giggle:

Artemis

Hey Glib, I just had my 2nd hair anniversary and I'm still at SL :perplexed

BUT, I know now what went wrong. For me it was not trimming regularly to get rid of damage that first year, and then too much moisture and not enough protein treatments the second year.

Now that all my damage is gone and the layers are growing out, I'm ready to go in '09. The healthy and strength of my hair right now is unprecedented :yay:

So keep your head up, chica ((hugs))

Last edited:

LadyPaniolo

Glib, have you been sleeping with your hair covered by a satin sleep bonnet, or at least on a satin pillowcase? I think this single factor is the greatest one in terms of length retention for me.

I BCed in August '06 and had literally an inch of hair. I just made BSL in the back, though the shortest layers of my hair are APL... the main thing I changed was washing more often and keeping that hair protected during sleep.

texasqt

I could be but I self-trimmed because my ends were so thin but I still don't know why its taking so long. Maybe due to an extended period of stress but everything seems to be moving forwards. I've been actively taking care of my hair since 2006 although I joined in 2004 and I'm hoping that transitioning will help bring some length.

Ridiculous I know

Dayjoy

Old School Member
Glib, have you been sleeping with your hair covered by a satin sleep bonnet, or at least on a satin pillowcase? I think this single factor is the greatest one in terms of length retention for me.

I BCed in August '06 and had literally an inch of hair. I just made BSL in the back, though the shortest layers of my hair are APL... the main thing I changed was washing more often and keeping that hair protected during sleep.
I think a lot of us read something like this (no offense joyousnerd, you're just a convenient example) and get discouraged. I know I do. I've been here 1 1/2 years and started and SL and am...still SL.:ohwell: Then I think if she went from one inch of hair to BSL in two years, why haven't I budged? According to her growth I should be at least WL by now. But different things happen differently for different people. I guess we just continue working on OUR OWN thing and eventually it will happen. IT BETTER!

Last edited:

blazingthru

Hi Glibgirl, I am not armpit yet either close but still can't say I am there yet its been 2.7 years and still not there yet. but when my hair was your length I rolled up the top with regular rollers and the rest I put some coconut oil on my ends and smooth them out and in the morning pull my hair back and used bobbie pins to secure and I wore it like that until it got longer that was one protective style I used. I mostly had afro puffs but realized that I needed to protect my hair more, maybe things will change and it did change. I also increased the usage of essential oils and I wear my hair in protective styles 99 percent of the time. I am so used to it when its not protected I am nervous about it and will search my purse for something to pin it up so I dont even bother wearing it out.

Junebug D

I could've been WSL if I stopped Bcing every other year.:rolleyes:

Same here. just think if I had let my hair grow from the time i first did the BC (Jan 2003) till now... 6 years, I would be tailbone length by now! :grin: it's a shame too, since the last 6 years have gone by so quickly it seems for me.

ayoung

Been here LONGER than that and STILL not APL!! *sigh*

But, every year I am closer and closer......

2009 might just be my year *fingers crossed*

ShaniKeys

I've been here two years and no APL, which is my goal btw. I have 4a/b natural hair and want unstretched APL hair so I'm not surprised at all, but I'm not discouraged either! I'm putting health before length ;-)

chelleyrock

I've been here since October 2007 and still not APL, I started at neck length. I know my hair grows slow (maybe 1/4" per month) and I have a long neck. I can't shorten my neck, but I can increase my water/vitamin intake with hopes of increasing my hair growth rate a little.