Who else has hair that is fine AND coarse?

Neith

I've been noticing that most of my hair is coarse.

That is... the strands are thicker than average.

but mixed in with the coarse hair, I have fine, barely there hair. Also hairs of average thickness.

When it comes to strand diameter, my hair isn't uniform at all. It's mixed up coarse/normal/fine all over... then the nape is made up of mostly normal/fine.

I wish I could take good pictures of some of my hair strands. They don't look like they are from the same head. I'd say it's about 70% coarse, 20% normal and 10% fine roughly.

Is this normal?

I'm thinking maybe everyone has hair like this, but you just classify your hair as the texture that is most prominent on your head?

SEMO

Not only do I have different textures all over my head, but like you, different strand densities. Some of my strands are very fine, while others are rather thick.

My hair wants to "sample" a little bit of everything apparently.

Bosslady1

i am not natural but i consider my hair coarse and fine because it is so sensitive. it can break from the slightest thing! not to mention my length is dead hair...so I got to be extra careful!

SweetSpirit86

My hair is like that too. The nape is especially fine...I thought it wasn't growing at first, the hair is so see-through there, lol.

bludaydreamr

It's all 4a, but The perimeter of my hair is fine like see through fine strands with some normal, but the very top, I call it the crown, has mostly normal to coarse hair, and it shrinks the most.

Neith

While transitioning I thought that my nape was in the 3's because it feels much more "silky" and lays down more.

When I BC'd I realized it's type 4, but just a slightly different texture. That part of my hair grows out the easiest and is really easy to detangle.

It all shrinks pretty much the same though!

Desarae

Mostly fine with a few random wierd coarse strands mixed in. I kinda wish all of them were coarse.

Sonye93

I have fine hair but in areas like my crown and nape I have coarse hair like very coarse hair (like you'll need some type of armor to get through it) that I actually like hehe (though its kinda hard to deal with those areas). I wish my whole head was like that because they feel so strong.

Crissi

Ha! Me too! :lol:

For ladies that are mostly coarse, how do you deal with your hair?

I'm thinking of stepping up slightly on the protein :yep:

Yea I'm thinking about upping the protein. I find with my hair its very low on elasticity in some areas. Anyone with a mixed bunch of strands know how to correct this? Some parts are full of elasticity, some parts just snap if stretched.....

NerdSauce

My hair was mostly fine, to begin with (possibly because I had gotten a little crazy with the moisturizing for a while.) But I upped my protein and started using castor oil to seal and in my dc's. I don't know which one of these has contributed the most, but my strands are much thicker now than they were before--and much more regular in thickness. Before I had both amazing thin AND amazingly thick strands, and it was honestly kind of hard to meet the needs of all my hair at the same time. It's kind of amazing, actually. I tried henna twice but I didn't care for the stretched out effect it had on my hair, though I liked how strong it felt. My coils have a weird spongy-ness to them, so even though things were looser they weren't really.. more defined. Hard to explain. I might try it again in the future though..