Who has read Cathy Howse.....?

Vanessa22

Please let me know who has ready Cathy Howse and/or used her products, as well as what you think? It was the first black hair book I've read, and it seems pretty legit. Let me know. I'd love to hear your own responses.
Vee

Dutchess

Cathy Howse was the very person that addressed and answered all the questions I had about my hair. I've read her book and learned so much. I used her products which gave me excellent results. My hair has grown 7 inches in a little over a year by using the information from her book. I met her when she was in my City and found her to be a kind and genuine person. I find her to be "legit" as well.

Babygurl

I read her book and I love it.....It seems legit enough to me, I follow her advice and have seen growth. Finding this forum was a great supplement to her book also.

Tracy

I think her book is informative - but I suggest reading others before you decide if she is the regimen for you.

Some good ones I've read are by:

Shamboosie
Lisa Akbari

Both can be purchased through this websites index page.

I'm not suggesting these books are necessarily SUPERIOR, just that should you want something to compare Cathy's book to, these are some options.

diamondlady

Cathy Howse is the first book I read about hair care. I love her book and her products. I don't stick to her regimen because I don't like the use of the curling iron to straighten my hair. That's a little too much heat and it'll take forever.

I like her conditioner and I kinda like the Dew moisturizer. I lot of people don't like the tone of her answers and her reviews of other books, but people who have met her or talked to her always say that she is very nice. She just seems very frustrated to me.

cary

It was Cathy Howse who first sparked my interest in taking care of and growing my hair. It was from her that I first learned the importance of moisturizing my hair on a daily basis, using protein conditioners, etc. I don't agree with every word that she has written on her website or in her book, but I do think that her advice is generally sound. Of all her products, I have tried and continue to use her lotion creme moisturizer. It is the only moisturizer in my arsenal. I love it.
I have tried, but no longer use her spray moisturizer or protein conditioner. I gave them both a shot, but eventually came to the conclusion that the spray did not do much for my hair in terms of moisturizing and the protein conditioner dried my hair out even though I followed it with a moisturizing conditioner.

CocoaCure

Yes, I've read the book (I recently gave it to my Mom to read too) and I've bought all her products and they are FANTASTIC!!!! She has been accused of not having the greatest personality, but don't listen to that. She has to deal with a whole lot of negativity. Her book was really the first SOUND advice on caring for our hair! Most of our advice comes from non AA or men! Her information is tried and true and very on-target! She explains everything really well too! There is NO conditioner on the market that does so well for my 4A hair as hers!! That UBH conditioner is wonderful! Also, her moisturizer is better than anything else I've used on the market. The only other one I'll use is Profectiv Breakfree. Her Dew product is really good as well, but I think it's similar to the ION leave-in, but then again, my hair was really growing super fast when I was using it so I may need to just use those 3 products and exchange everything else and further simplify my already simple routine. She's a good person with a good heart and wants to see AA women with long beautiful hair whether natural, relaxed, texturized, whatever! She really cares about us from going through her own personal journey with hairgrowth issues! I'd encourage any AA woman to visit her site, order her book from Amazon, and try her products!!

stacia

I've read her book and I use her condition which I think is one of the best on the market. I like her hair moisturizer but it's so exspensive that I have had to find a replacement that I love almost just as much. I keep going back to her conditioner because I noticed that it stops any breakage I get more than any other conditioner. My hair doesnt like the real strong protein conditioners but it lovers hers. I've e-mailed her on 3 to 4 occassions and she responded back which was really nice.
hope this helps!

Trinity1

Cathy Howse....wow,if it wasnt for this woman it probably would've taken me alot longer to learn about my hair.I dont use her products because I've always had good products that I stick by but her advice is very much on the money. My favorite is washing hair every 3 days because by then moisture needs to be replaced in the hair. My hair starts to get dry exactly every 3rd day after a wash so she was very accurate. She promised that if you follow her steps for a year you will see results and she was right again.My hair is not the hair I've always had,it is 100% better.

Tee Tee

GodMadeMePretty

Latia,

You can't get her products at a BSS. Only from her website. ubhpublications.com Go there and you'll see the prices. I love her cream moisturizer so much that after my first 32 oz bottle was gone, I ordered 3 more to save on shipping. The Dew - I could do without. It didn't do much for me. I don't use her conditioner either. I use a recipe that is from her original book and make my own conditioner for a lot cheaper.

I've read her book and it's legitimate in terms of her own hair experience which is what it's all about. I don't use heat like she does and I never will. I'm just not going to take that kind of time on a weekly or more often basis. I would also read other books which is what I did while I waited for hers to arrive. I don't like that she reviews others' hair books and calls them "competitors." Surely she wants everyone to be informed and what may work for her may not work for others so it's best to have more information to parcel through than not enough.

G

Cary I just saw your pic's - Nice hair - Beautiful Smile.

Anyway I agree with Tee Stacia & Cocoacure. It was the first book about OUR hair that was written and the Moisture Balance System was desgined for OUR hair not just her's.

I liked that she taught me about the Myths that we have followed for years were just that Myths.

I think you'll like the book.

moneychaser

Yes, Cathy Howse book introduced me to hair care and this forum. I am glad that I purchased her book, because I almost purchased shamooise's book. No were in his book I found such an emphasis on moisture.

Shana

I read her book and I learned a lot. In addition, I use all of her products (the Dew, the creme moisturizer and the conditioner), and I love all of them. I have excellent results with them. Every time I try new products that I hear about on this site, I go back to her products because they work for me.

G

What kind of moisturizing conditioner do you follow Cathy's conditioner with, Shana?

LiqueXX

I have read Cathy Howse's book but have never used the products (I do want to try the moisturizer). I like the information that I got from the book and I usually refer to it often. I also have the book by Lisa Akbari and I like her book even more. I would recommend both books if your really into keeping your hair healthy

dcprdiva

I haven't read the book, though I plan to purchase it soon. I have seen her Web site and I have read Barry Fletcher's book... since he is based in the D.C.-area, I see & hear a lot more from him. I will buy Cathy's book because I like to get different perspectives and Barry's book doesn't give as much specific techniques as it seems that Cathy's book does. Also, Barry's book promotes his products too much.

CocoaCure

I originally thought her products were expensive, like the $26 32 ounce bottle of Moisturizer I bought, but in actually, I'm paying $5.99 - essentially $ for a little 8 ounce jar of my Profective Break-free so it's really about the same and I only have to by it every few months. In fact, since I tried and my hair LOVES all her products if I just stuck with them and nothing else (except the shampoos and grease for the ends only) then it would be much easier on my bank account balance!!

G

For the ones that used her conditioner what do you follow it with? Thanks.

cary

[ QUOTE ]
Mindymouse said:
Cary I just saw your pic's - Nice hair - Beautiful Smile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mindymouse! Thanks for the kind words.

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Tee Tee said:
Cathy Howse....wow,if it wasnt for this woman it probably would've taken me alot longer to learn about my hair.I dont use her products because I've always had good products that I stick by but her advice is very much on the money. My favorite is washing hair every 3 days because by then moisture needs to be replaced in the hair. My hair starts to get dry exactly every 3rd day after a wash so she was very accurate. She promised that if you follow her steps for a year you will see results and she was right again.My hair is not the hair I've always had,it is 100% better.

Tee Tee

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought her book after I joined LHCF so I already had some knowledge from the ladies here but I appreciated her frankness and I too learned from her to wash my hair every 3 days. It made a huge difference with my hair! I also bought her UBH lotion moisturizer earlier this month and I love it!

Valerie

Cathy's book is very good, and it introduced me to washing my hair every three days, until I wash my hair once a week, but I rinse twice a day. My hair have definetly improved, however I don't use her products, I make up my own, except for the Surge, Castor oil, olive oil of course. But her advice is very good and it would be very good, if she could come over to the UK. We need a lot of help this side of the pond!

Shana

I follow the condition with a little V05 Kiwi and Lime squeeze,Dark and Lovely Dry Ends, Elucence moisture balancing conditioner or Melaleuca conditioner.

Vanessa22

Thanks everyone on all of your replies. I have read Cathy Howe's and thought she was very helpful myself and just wanted to know what everyone else was thinking. Good Luck!