Who has read Cathy Howse.....?

Isis

Does everyone who has read Cathy's book take zinc as she recommends? If so, how has it worked for your hair? I have zinc but I haven't been taking it everyday.

moni

Her book was the first I read on hair care and i found it to be pretty good. While I don't follow her regimen to a 't', it has helped me to grow my hair. It is in much better condition than when i first started. Also...how does zinc help in growth...just curious.

Nonie

Zinc is needed for protein synthesis and collagen formation...

However, daily dosages of more that 100 mg of zinc cna depress the immune system while dosages under 100 mg can enhance immune response. Zinc levels may be lowered by diarrhea, kidney disease, cirrhosis or the liver, diabetes, and fiber. The phylates found in grains and legumes bind zinc so it cannot be absorbed. The proper copper and zinc balance should be maintained. Consumption of hard water can upset zinc levels.

Sources of zinc: fish, legumes, meats, oysters, poultry, seafood, whole grains, brewer's yeast, egg yolks, lamb chops, lima beans, liver, mushrooms, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sardines, seed, soy lecithin, soybeans, sunflower seeds and tourla.

(Source: Prescripton for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis Balch and James Balch , Page 23)

shoelover1972

Her book was the 1st book I have read about black hair. Her advice re moisturizing and frequent washing makes a lot of sense. I do not agree with her method of using a curling tong though. If it was not for her I would probably not have found this site. Also I love the Dew which I use on my ends twice a day.

L

LaNecia

Funny this thread should just pop up today, I was contemplating ordering this book this morning but wanted feedback and as always...here you ladies are with the answers before I can ask the questions!

Thank you...!

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Their methods are fairly similar. They both stress keeping the hair moisturized. But Gray doesn't straighten her hair with a curling iron. She uses her "ponytail method" of air drying. She gives detailed instructions and has pictures of how to achieve different styles. And she gives TONS of product recommendations!
She has her own product line but she also gives you cheaper and easier to find alternatives.

ETA:
If you're a member of at least one hair board, you really don't need any of these books. The info is the same and it's free. But if you're like me and just like books about hair, go for it.

L.Mo.

[ QUOTE ]
sassygirl125 said:
ETA:
If you're a member of at least one hair board, you really don't need any of these books. The info is the same and it's free. But if you're like me and just like books about hair, go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was going to be my next question.... THANKS!!