who went natural w/o cutting off all of their hair at once!

monie20032007

I am really thinking about going natural but i CAN NOT cut off all of my progress. pleae tell me how you did this w/o chopping all of your hair off at once.

Mook's hair

Im in the process of doing this now.
I do not plan to BC. My husband would kill me if I did.

I am 8 months into this transition. It ain't easy. I have more info in my fotki. or you can just PM me.

tinkat

I did cut alot off, but not all of it...I had just enough to get a sew-in and that is what i used to grow my hair out. It took one year to cut out all of the relaxer. I just wore weaves and my hair did grow fast bc of that.

pisceschica

For me it was not that big of a deal because the hair I was cutting off was severely damaged and I had 2 inches of healthy new growth. I wore my hair in braids for about 1.5 years and since then have been wearing full lace wigs with my natural hair braided underneath.

I simply cut off all the relaxed hair that I had and left the natural new growth. That was back in november 2004 and my hair is a little past my shoulders now when its straighetened. I plan on relaxing again but not until I grow out these layers. . :drunk:

NYCQT16

Natural Again
I transitioned with braids for some of the time but mostly air-dried type styles like making a wet ponytail and then putting on a scarf.

Towards the end of my transition I was doing twists and flat twists. The twists really helped me to give in and cut the last few inches because when I would twist, the natural hair part of the twist would be all plump and cute looking and the ends (which were still relaxed) looked all scrawny and sick...LOL.

So I cut the last few inches and then wore braids again for like 2 months and then went back to my twists and flat twists and that's how I've been doing ever since and now I'm 100% natural and sometimes a little discouraged but mostly LOVING it!

ClassicBeauty

I did it. I trimmed regularly, but I didn't cut the last of the relaxer off for years. I did roller wraps and flat ironed the roots. (Which is basically what I still do:yep:)I explain it all in my journal. Feel free to pm me for more info.

Nonie

I transitioned in braids. Because I do them myself, I'd touch them up, one at a time, as the base of the braids got loose from new growth and trim a fraction of an inch before re-braiding. (I'd estimated that I trimmed about 1/4 inch every 8 weeks.) I would do this with each braid till all the sections had been trimmed. In about 12 months, I had 5-6 inches of natural hair w/o any relaxed ends. I found the regular trims - which I continued to do even after all the relaxed hair was gone - ensured that my hair stayed thick and healthy.

blackbarbie

I am in the process of transitioning now and there is no way, no how that I will be cutting off my progress.

January 27th will mark one year into my transition and I guess I may be transitioning indefinitely until I get rid of all the relaxed ends. Right now, about 1/3 of my length is natural. I just plan to cut a couple of inches here and there. I would love for my natural hair to be the length my hair is currently.

I just learned how to successfully flat iron my NG after rollersetting, so I will be doing this quite often as I transition.

BB

HoneyCurlz

When I went natural, I cut about 1 1/2 inches off (every other) month. It was about a 2 year process for me.....but it had gotten to the point that my hair looked wayyyy too crazy with straight tips and super curly roots so after my hair grew to about mid-neck I just finished off those straight ends and called it a day.

Last edited:

bellalouise

My last perm was in 2000. During my transition period my stylist would trim my hair on a regular schedule umm maybe every 4-6 week. I wore braid for a couple of months to get over the 50/50 hump, which is the hardest. After you are past the 50 - 60 mark, you can see the finish line and are more willing to cut the last 30%, because you know it only gets better...:grin:

Last edited:

nappity

I transitioned for a year with casamas braids. they are the thick box braids- and I would have them in for 10 weeks- wash- do nexxus emergencee and rebraid. At the end of a year I had more than 6 inches and did the BC. It took a while to get used to my hair without length.

TaraDyan

Natural again ... this time for good!
I'm 10 months into my transition right now. I don't have the courage to do the BC just yet, so I compromised and did what I call a "medium chop" last September. I had the stylist cut off 5-6 inches instead of cutting off like 10-12 inches. That way, I only lost half my length (it wasn't too terrible that way). The photos of my medium chop are in my Fotki.

iCandey

I did it by cutting off an inch a month and rocking a wig (which I am still wearing) as I transitioned.

MizAvalon

My last perm was in 2000. During my transition period my stylist would trim my hair on a regular schedule umm maybe every 4-6 week. I wore braid for a couple of months to get over the 50/50 hump, which is the hardest. After you are past the 50 - 60 mark, you can see the finish line and are more willing to get the last 30%, because you know it only gets better...:grin:

When I go natural again at some point, I think the is the way I will do it.

There is no way I could do a TWA.

santwon

I just grew mine out till it was even with the relaxed hair in the front -- that way I had just as much as I started with. Except more, because my hair was shaved in the back. Worked for me.

Sweet_Ambrosia

I transitioned for 2 years. I wore lots of protective/low maintenance styles and trimmed my ends every so often until my hair was 100% natural. So it’s definitely possible to transition w/o the BC! :yep: