Whoa That's a Lot of Weave! - PICS

Sieda

Hi Ladies!

I've been getting a lot of “hair-tude”, BLATANT stares, and even hair tosses (hair tosses have been mainly from other weave wearers that only have maybe a few pieces in between their natural hair) since all the recent popularity of natural hair and "good hair" vs. weave discussions by celebrities.

Are there any other weave wearers (as a protective style of course) that are experiencing this as of late? Does it influence your protective style choice?

I get DAILY, looks, comments, stares, etc. but yesterdays "Whoa that’s a lot of weave!" comment stood out because it was blatant, outright, and the sister (coworker) was a bit crass – granted, she did not know I could hear her. She was walking by a glass conference room that I was in, and she was with a male coworker.

My immediate advice (to myself) is not to let these events steer me away from my protective styling, especially, since I see massive amounts of retention in a wig verses other styles (*side note*I do not have a relaxer). Thoughts?

PICS of my protective style are below

PICS
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/album.php?albumid=4032

Last edited:

Miss*Tress

You look really pretty.

Don't worry, if you wore your hair as in the July 09 pic in your siggy, that envious co-worker would still have something to say. Just brush her and her foolishness off.

meecee

You go ahead and wear your weave/wig with pride. People will have something negative to say no matter what you do. Once you reach your hair goals and have long healthy hair, the same folks will still have something to say.

Wear your hair for you and no one else.

GodivaChocolate

Your a very pretty lady and I'm sure she was just trying to find fault in you. I'm sure she has been "admiring" you for awhile and because of this "Good Hair" phenomenon she felt like she had ammunition or that it makes it ok. Just keep in mind what your goals are and it's ok to look fabulous doing it...brush it off and keep looking fabulous cause when your reach your goals and take it out, she'll have something to say about that also...

CurlyMoo

Sounds like jealousy, unprofessionalism and rudeness. You must have been looking really good for her to go out of her way to "call you out" in front of a male like that. She prolly noticed him rubbernecking you. Since this is work and not a rude person on the street you may have to speak with a supervisor if this continues.

Sade'

When you do something "do it for you". I mean u just can't please people I tell u. I wear a bun daily and of course people make comments about hmph "how can folks snatch their hair back daily...spend some money and go get ur hair done" I could care less. People think they flier than me b/c they keep their hair done in the salon weekly. Hair hasn't grown 1inch in 2 years...I'm just saying! Ur pic is lovely and keep up the good work.

Leesh

Please, I love my Big, Bodacious hair, I just recently made a 30 Inch cap wig and I love it, Yes I said 30 Inches, and its not the first time I used that length, and I get so many compliments, as well as Women wanting to know where to purchase it for themselves, don't make Me post a Pic for You, LOL!

Woman forget Them, Strut Your Stuff, That weave looks Great, I'm lovin it!

Kerryann

Woa she got a loud mouth and woa she is rude and out of place. Give me a break i hate when people over do it and a guarantee you she has jacked up hair

MrJohnsonsRib

That was rude and so unnecessary. I'm gonna need her to grow up and get a membership to LHCF so she can get a clue. Keep taking care of your hair and although she may never understand know that you're doing the right thing. Some people don't have no class these days or no self-esteem...pray for her. Meanwhile keep doing you. If you have haters you must be doing something right...the enemy doesn't like to see people make progress.

happylife

Oh well, can't spend your precious time pleasing everyone

If you are happy with your style then that's what most important! Fighting to win everyone's approval is such an exhausting battle and seldomly won

IMO you look stunningly beautiful!

tmrskltn

I think your getting stares because your very pretty and the style compliments ur features, it's so sad when woman treat each other so badly. She obviously has low self esteem and needs to do this to make herself feel alright. Nobody goes out of there way like that to be nasty unless they are hatin , and like another poster pointed out she probably said it because the guy she was with said something about you or was googlin you, brush It off, k.I.m and stay lookin flyyyyy!!! :)

happylife

Sounds like jealousy, unprofessionalism and rudeness. You must have been looking really good for her to go out of her way to "call you out" in front of a male like that. She prolly noticed him rubbernecking you. Since this is work and not a rude person on the street you may have to speak with a supervisor if this continues.

Yep, this coworker is a total opportunist
and chose her comments based on her listening audience

You are not the problem
Some people use others as a springing board in a bad attempt to make themselves look better

Last edited:

Neith

A movie doesn't take away someone's ability to act like they have manners. She was being rude.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this :bighug:

I've stopped wondering why some people have to try embarrass or put others down to feel good about themselves. :nono: That's just how it is sometimes.

Whatever you decide to do about it, don't let it get you down or make you feel insecure. That is what those kinds of people want to happen.

What's sad is that you'll probably have these kinds of things happening when you reach your goals and wear your own long hair. :rofl:

You can't win with everyone. There will always be some rude a-hole out there.

Good luck on your HHJ!

Last edited:

larry3344

Honestly, as long as you know that your care underneath the weave is maintained and well groomed not swept under the rug like some and that your weave is meant to look like your hair and not look like you have a weave then why do you give a damn what people think you know what you are doing!!!

NYAmicas

Seeker
Your hair looks fine. She was just trying to find fault when she should have turned the criticism towards herself.

Geminigirl

I love that mole. Girl please don't let her bother you. What does her hair look like. Man if someone with effed up hair comments on my hair I wouldn't even care cause what they are doing obviously isn't working.

Duchesse

Girl, keep on rocking your weave and wigs, whatever is working for you! You are a very pretty girl and in a years time when your own hair is longer then the weave, just walk by her and do a diva hair flip in her face.

30something

She really didn't care if you had a lot of weave trust me, she was just plain old jealous about how nice your hair look, and just wanted to make fun of you to make her self feel better.

HairBella08

Exactly what she said!

DarkVictory

Look good, look bad, look ordinary - no matter what you do, somebody somewhere will come out with negativity. As Neith said, rude people are trying to use the movie as an excuse to bag on weaves.

Yours is a lovely look, very polished. Sadly, that brings out the #$%# in some folks.

Bachelorette

I get DAILY, looks, comments, stares, etc. but yesterdays "Whoa that’s a lot of weave!" comment stood out because it was blatant, outright, and the sister (coworker) was a bit crass – granted, she did not know I could hear her. She was walking by a glass conference room that I was in, and she was with a male coworker.

Sounds like a certain member :giggle:

You look very nice in that pic.

People are using that movie to voice the BS they always wanted to. Imagine people with earlength telling others what they should or shouldnt put in or on their head

phynestone

Hi Ladies!

I've been getting a lot of “hair-tude”, BLATANT stares, and even hair tosses (hair tosses have been mainly from other weave wearers that only have maybe a few pieces in between their natural hair) since all the recent popularity of natural hair and "good hair" vs. weave discussions by celebrities.

Are there any other weave wearers (as a protective style of course) that are experiencing this as of late? Does it influence your protective style choice?

My immediate advice (to myself) is not to let these events steer me away from my protective styling, especially, since I see massive amounts of retention in a wig verses other styles (*side note*I do not have a relaxer). Thoughts?

OTHER PICS
http://public.fotki.com/Siedaluvzu/protective-style/

No, but I live an area that doesn't have a large amount of black people.

You are beautiful. Homegirl had just finished taking her daily dosage of haterade because she's jealous. I also agree the guy was probably checking you out, but little does she know that she may have made herself look bad to him and other people within earshot.

I can't stand it when people offer their unsolicited, rude comments about people. It's just a matter of time before they do it to the wrong person.

naturalmanenyc

Wow!! How rude.

I have not worn a sew in weave in a long time, but when I did the stylist only used about 6 ounces of hair. I have a small head.

I am not sure what is considered a lot of weave for a sew in? I thought about 8 ounces was normal since that is like 2 packs of prepackaged hair.

I can admit currently that I do have a ton of weave in my hair in curly twists.:lachen: It got wet in the shower and I thought my neck would snap.

Don't let negative comments deter you from protective styling. I want to be waist length and I will weave it up or wig it until I get to my goal.

Hi Ladies!

OTHER PICS
http://public.fotki.com/Siedaluvzu/protective-style/

PrincessKia

I haven't read the comments yet so excuse me if this has already been said.

I thought I was about to see weave down your back or something. Truth be told they must be paying way too much attention to your hair to realize that it's not all yours. Seriously I wouldn't have known if you didn't say so. It doesn't look overdone and fake or anything characteristic of a weave.

People need to get a life.

LoveLiLi

You're very pretty and it sounds like she's jealous. Even if you wore your real hair she'd find something else to criticize in an effort to make you look/feel bad.

Sieda

THANK YOU Ladies!

I wish women out in our everyday world were just as positive.

We all have a goal here and it's always something getting in the way of obtaining it (for me). Whether it be a setback, a scissors happy hair stylist, etc. I know what I want in the end, but it does feel better talking about the way-points on the journey. I guess I am getting a taste of what our long haired sisters go through everyday they wear their hair down. I say this because my ex and I discussed this and he said maybe its the length (slightly above bra strap).

OOO :D