Whos read this book?

tdillz

Hi everyone! I just bought this ebook from kindle called "the science of black hair" by Audrey Davis-Sivasothy. It is such a good read!!!!it breaks down the science of hair and it gives you a real understanding of black hair rather it be natural or chemically treated. It also gives product suggestions to help build a regimen.

Has anyone else read this? If so what did you think? I'm only in chapter 3. Was it helpful? Would you suggest it to a friend to read?

vtoodler

Hi everyone! I just bought this ebook from kindle called "the science of black hair" by Audrey Davis-Sivasothy. It is such a good read!!!!it breaks down the science of hair and it gives you a real understanding of black hair rather it be natural or chemically treated. It also gives product suggestions to help build a regimen.

Has anyone else read this? If so what did you think? I'm only in chapter 3. Was it helpful? Would you suggest it to a friend to read?

It's a very popular book, especially amongst LHCFers. See below:

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=o....,cf.osb&fp=297cffb4fb1be379&biw=1366&bih=561

Lilac87

I finished this book a few nights ago. It was filled w/ lots of info and took quite some time to get through. I think it's a good book for learning the science behind it all and why certain ingredients work for our hair and others don't. If you are trying to start a regimen, the book gives you a general idea of how to start one.

Honestly, if you aren't really a science-y person or if you don't care about why products work, I wouldn't recommend this book. A lot of the info in the book (regarding regimens, good products, protein-moisture balance, etc) can be found by reading this hair board, IMO.

tdillz

Lilac87 said:
I finished this book a few nights ago. It was filled w/ lots of info and took quite some time to get through. I think it's a good book for learning the science behind it all and why certain ingredients work for our hair and others don't. If you are trying to start a regimen, the book gives you a general idea of how to start one.

Honestly, if you aren't really a science-y person or if you don't care about why products work, I wouldn't recommend this book. A lot of the info in the book (regarding regimens, good products, protein-moisture balance, etc) can be found by reading this hair board, IMO.

I feel u I've only taken a few science classes in my life so I had to read many lines over and over draw some pics to really understand lol

winona

Very good book for those starting out and wanting to learn more and even for those who have been here awhile and want a compact refresher:)

xcuzememiss

Yes! I have the book version! I loved her when she gave her advice here on the boards also. It's a good refresher for ppl like me that have been on this for years.

vtoodler

I haven't read it yet, but I'd like to and soon. (I've got too many books already on my wish list.)

However, I was wondering why you think that the book's language is very scientific?

tdillz

vtoodler said:
I haven't read it yet, but I'd like to and soon. (I've got too many books already on my wish list.)

However, I was wondering why you think that the book's language is very scientific?

Because it literally breaks down the hairs structure by ions and using scientific lingo. Its cool if you have that science background but for me I had to read it a few times to really understand it. I'm grazing chapter 5 now

danysedai

I want to get the Kindle version, I got a Galaxy tab and once I get the leather cover I want to buy that book. Audra,the author, has been a member here for the longest time and is full of knowledge. IMHO it's a staple in every black woman's library if she's into hair care. When people ask me about hair I always send them the links to Audra's articles about regimen building, protein/moisture balance, etc online. Even those of us who've been members here for a long time sometimes need to "refresh" our knowledge.

Besides the fact that we would be supporting her!

tdillz

danysedai said:
I want to get the Kindle version, I got a Galaxy tab and once I get the leather cover I want to buy that book. Audra,the author, has been a member here for the longest time and is full of knowledge. IMHO it's a staple in every black woman's library if she's into hair care. When people ask me about hair I always send them the links to Audra's articles about regimen building, protein/moisture balance, etc online. Even those of us who've been members here for a long time sometimes need to "refresh" our knowledge.

ITA with everything u said!

vtoodler

@danysedai

What other hair care books do you think should be staples in a black woman's library?

Ann0804

Great information. This is my fifth hair book and I thought it would be the same information, but it wasn't- by far this book is the most detailed that I have read. It actually took me longer than two hours to read. Thanks for posting this one. It teaches you how to build a good regimen in various catogories (shampoos, conditioners, stylers, etc).

ellebelle88

Is there a free pdf version floating around? Or at least a copy that's NOT $30?? The one on Amazon is $24.95 + shipping.

BadMamaJama

Oh yeah! I've had the physical book for about 2 months and I love it! It has a lot of really great information. You can find a lot of it on the internet, but to have it all in one place is great. I love it because she breaks down a lot of the science behind taking care of your hair and she tells you what products are what when you get to regimen building.

She also has another book that just came out and I will def be getting that one too.

ellebelle88

I am reading the book now and she says that the reason we experience postpartum hair shedding is because when women get pregnant the hormones tell the hair to go into growing and resting phase and then after pregnancy the hormones tell the hair to go into the shedding phase. She said that when we stop birth control pills, its essentially doing the same thing and telling our hair to go into the shedding phase.

Has anyone experienced this while going off of birth control??? I've stopped BC and quit numerous times and I've never really noticed it. I hope its not true.

locabouthair

I am reading the book now and she says that the reason we experience postpartum hair shedding is because when women get pregnant the hormones tell the hair to go into growing and resting phase and then after pregnancy the hormones tell the hair to go into the shedding phase. She said that when we stop birth control pills, its essentially doing the same thing and telling our hair to go into the shedding phase.

Has anyone experienced this while going off of birth control??? I've stopped BC and quit numerous times and I've never really noticed it. I hope its not true.

I went on BC for three months and I didn't notice excess shedding when I stopped taking it.

I can't wait to read her book.