Why can't I get my relaxers to look like fresh from the salon shine?

krikit96

I can NOT get my hair to shine. I just touched up my hair after about a 3 month stretch, and it looks dull, dull, DULL!!! My hubby just asked me, "Uh...baby...??? What happened to the way your hair USED to look when you went to the salon? Your hair used to be straight and shiny...??? It was so pretty..."

I was PISSED. I mean, I used ORS box system, but I still look like I have the frizzies around my edges in the front... I BURNED the CRAP outta my scalp because I forgot to base... UGH!!!! I dc'ed my hair with ORS Replenishing Pak and sat under a soft bonnet for about 45 minutes... I rinsed and then I put some John Frieda Frizz Eaze in it and blow dried... I was GOING to try my Caruso set, but I can't seem to make it pretty and shiny... I don't know what to do!

I kinda don't wanna flat iron it and wrap it because I think I wanna ease up on the heat... Can anybody help me? PLEASE??? I really wanna be pretty, and wearing buns is not an option because of my forehead and my temples have not filled back in completely... WHAT am I not doing right? I have slacked off on my hair care in the last year, not wrapping it at night, washing maybe twice a month...and in the last month I've been abusive, like wearing half wigs and curling the front of my hair to blend in... without washing!!!!:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Can you ladies please help me figure out how I can get my hair back on track and shiny and healthy looking again? How do the stylists get it to look so shiny after a touch up???

I'm not an expert here, but I had a conversation with my stylist about this very subject. Aside from products, I think the other key is the technique you use when blow drying. The heat needs to be aimed down the hair to smooth the cuticle I think is what she said. Anyway, my point is there are a lot of steps involved, and if one of them, like blow drying is off it can mess up the whole look. You might check youtube for some good videos. Good luck!

according to paula begoun, there are 4 basic reasons why a hairstylist is capable of doing what you can't do on your own head:
technique, tenacity, tools and talent.

Is the ORS relaxer lye or no-lye? No-lye relaxers tend to leave hair a little dull because of calcium build up. Aside from that, when I was relaxed and went to the salon--on hindsight, I realize I got such shine and "swang" because of the use of immense heat (irons, blow dryer, even their hair dryers are hotter) that most stylists use.

I agree that fresh from the salon is a combination of heat and products used. The Relaxers main purpose is to straighten the hair. The stylist usually use do a DC like u did, but usually use direct heat like a flat iron or blowdrying.To get shine and body I use the maxiglide, but I know you are staying away from heat.

Good Luck

Thanks to the ladies that chimed in... so I guess as long as I'm doing a low/no heat thing... I'm doomed to un-shiny hair??? I even tried putting some NTM Healing Serum in too, but it really doesn't look much more shiny... still a little dull... I guess I'll have to flat iron it and then just keep wrapping it throughout the week... but I really wanted to start washing at LEAST 2 times a week, I don't know if this no/low heat is gonna work for me, I need to look put together for my job...

I'm open to anymore suggestions/advice...:yep:

Why don't you try rollersetting? Even though I'm natural, my hair still ends up looking very shiny and smooth from them. Just make sure your hair is completely dry prior to taking the rollers out :yep:

Thanks to the ladies that chimed in... so I guess as long as I'm doing a low/no heat thing... I'm doomed to un-shiny hair??? I even tried putting some NTM Healing Serum in too, but it really doesn't look much more shiny... still a little dull... I guess I'll have to flat iron it and then just keep wrapping it throughout the week... but I really wanted to start washing at LEAST 2 times a week, I don't know if this no/low heat is gonna work for me, I need to look put together for my job...

I'm open to anymore suggestions/advice...:yep:

I think there are 4 reasons:

No-lye relaxer. I got unbelievable shine when I switched to lye.

I don't add leave-ins to my hair, that helps with shine.

I think it's almost impossible to get shine without flat ironing.

It's important to use an ionic blow dryer and ionic flat iron.

I suck @ rollersetting... even though I only tried it once. I should do it again, it would be a shame to have purchased all these rollers for nothing... but lottabody ends up making my hair crunchy no matter how much I dilute it and add oil... actually... i had the perfect combo of oil, lottabody, mousse and water ONE time, for a flexrod set, but have never been able to duplicate the same mixture again...

I even tried that saran wrap method and I end up hot, sweaty, and my hair looks NO SILKIER...

I do believe the ladies who said flat ironing and heat are the way to get the shine are on to something...

and I'm interested to hear how not adding leave ins help to create better shine... wouldn't the leave ins make the hair softer or shinier? I almost want to try it, but don't know what to expect. I remember I used to wash my hair, but not use conditioner because I didn't see the point or was to much in a hurry to try it... Bwahahaaaaaaahaaaa!!! What a simple little teen girl I was...

what shine serums do you use?

the ntm healing serum... the So Sexy serum by VS (Victoria's Secret, not Vidal Sassoon)

I also use the John Frieda Frizz eaze stuff... I tried that spray that claims it can help your hair be shiny, but it doesn't work and has lots of alcohol in it... one by suave, one by SHINE Booster (clear small spray bottle with white writing and a black and pink logo...)

hmmm do you do a final rinse of your hair with cold water?

Well... When I rinse out the dc I do. And when I blowdried I did the "cold shot" button... cuz I heard that makes your hair shine...

But I never knew it was a certain technique you had to use while blowdrying...:nono:

I agree with the other ladies regarding the no-lye (if that is what you are using).

Also, some folks (like me) get great shine using coconut oil (just a little bit). You may also want to try to adding oils to your conditioners...

I am sorry about your scalp getting burned this last time...maybe if you got great results and shine from the salon you should go back? Just a thought.

I agree with the other ladies regarding the no-lye (if that is what you are using).

Also, some folks (like me) get great shine using coconut oil (just a little bit). You may also want to try to adding oils to your conditioners...

I am sorry about your scalp getting burned this last time...maybe if you got great results and shine from the salon you should go back? Just a thought.

BOTH the chicks that were doing my hair claimed to be TRIMMING and I would leave with 2-3 inches missing... ONE had MBL hair and wanted to be the only one WITH hair, the other one was just scissor happy...

I just want to learn how to do it myself, because I have 3 children ages 6 and under and I really would rather not spend $75 twice a month on HAIR, ya know? I just wish they told me their tricks...

BOTH the chicks that were doing my hair claimed to be TRIMMING and I would leave with 2-3 inches missing... ONE had MBL hair and wanted to be the only one WITH hair, the other one was just scissor happy...

I just want to learn how to do it myself, because I have 3 children ages 6 and under and I really would rather not spend $75 twice a month on HAIR, ya know? I just wish they told me their tricks...

You could go back one last time and memorize what they do. That's what I did, I just copied my stylist's technique and never went back.

Semi permanents, coconut oil, Sally's argan oil give shine. From a leave in standpoint Aphogee pro-vitamin provides crazy shine, I mean bling shine and that's on my 4a/b hair. After I air dry my hair, it is shiny.

A final rinse with cold water should technically provide shine, because it will help to lay down the cuticle, this is the same reason flat ironed hair shines, because the cuticle is laid down. When the cuticle is raised it can't reflect the light.

#1 shine producer for me- Aveda Universal Styling Cream. I am like what in the heck is actually in this product that it causes my hair to shine like this?

Blow-drying leaves my hair looking dull too. I agree that you should try rollersetting. My hair always turns out smooth and shiny when I rollerset. I use a little bit of the John Frieda Frizz Ease serum when rolling, and Kenra Daily Provision right before I take the rollers out. The hair blings! :grin: I think there's a cheaper Elasta QP leave-in spray that's supposedly the same as Kenra Daily Provision too, you may want to try that.

I also agree that maybe your stylist uses a lye relaxer and you're using no-lye which can be harsher on the hair.

I suck @ rollersetting... even though I only tried it once. I should do it again, it would be a shame to have purchased all these rollers for nothing... but lottabody ends up making my hair crunchy no matter how much I dilute it and add oil... actually... i had the perfect combo of oil, lottabody, mousse and water ONE time, for a flexrod set, but have never been able to duplicate the same mixture again...

I even tried that saran wrap method and I end up hot, sweaty, and my hair looks NO SILKIER...

I do believe the ladies who said flat ironing and heat are the way to get the shine are on to something...

and I'm interested to hear how not adding leave ins help to create better shine... wouldn't the leave ins make the hair softer or shinier? I almost want to try it, but don't know what to expect. I remember I used to wash my hair, but not use conditioner because I didn't see the point or was to much in a hurry to try it... Bwahahaaaaaaahaaaa!!! What a simple little teen girl I was...

Anything worth doing is worth doing badly, at first. A bad roller set will not yield a good saran wrap result. Roller set and saran wrap until you get good at it. It's got all the stuff you're looking for. Healthy shine sans heat:

Lady Elle's got a 4 part roller set tutorial that will get you started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0XPTX0AdWw

Chick had me thinking of relaxing with those swing shots at the end!

Yeah, I think I'm gonna re-do my hair... since I touched up last night, would it be bad to rewash it again today? I will try rollersetting... I ended up rolling my hair up on satin covered sponge rollers last night, my hair is a HAM and looks like I need a touch up...

Would you guys advise not to do it? Oh, I think I'm gonna have to give up on this DIY hair growing... but I just don't trust the professionals...

Yeah the rinses... I've always heard such scary things about coloring my hair... that it makes your hair fall out and break off... to be careful which brands you use...semi-permanent vs. permanent... can somebody school me? I think I'm definitely gonna go out in the snow to the nearest BSS and buy some, if I can get enough info...

I agree with rollersetting will give you that salon look. But try only using water and not the lottabody because that is what makes it hard and crunchy especially if you don't dilute it. When u blow dried did you use the comb attachment and blowdry in a downward motion? I do this and applying lacio lacio in addition to my Silk Elements heat protectant which is a light oil mist and helps give me shine. I then wrap my hair with saran wrap for about 15mins under the dryer( so I won't have to flat iron) and I get shine.

Semi permanent just temporarily coats your strands and will rinse out in a few washes but they don't contain harsh chemicals like ammonia and perioxide that are in permanent hair color. I use Revlon color silk Black permanent because I was tired of applying rinses so often. It does not have ammonia or peroxide. But try clear or black rinse first

Back