Why did I do this to myself??

cassidy

Hi ladies, this is the first time I start a discussion on this board. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with a happy event. I had braids on for two months and took them off two days ago. I had some major build up on. I was planning on washing my hair yesterday but I fell asleep after putting my hot jojoba oil treatment on so I slept with it. Then I rinsed it this morning and washed my hair. After that, I did a cholesterol treatment and sat under a dryer for 40 mn. I thought I would detangle my hair at that point. My hair started to break like hell so I stopped immediately and rinsed it. Let me tell you something: never make the mistake I made. Detangle your hair before washing it!!!! Maybe everyone knew that but me. Anyway my hair looked like locks after that so I started crying thinking I would have to cut all my hair off. Luckily a friend of mine offered to detangle my hair. She saved me!! We've been working on it for 3 hours and we're still not done. We just took a 15 mn-break.We haven't done half my head yet. Can you believe it?? If anyone went through the same hell as I am now, please tell me how you handled it. I can't believe I put all this efforts in getting nice long hair and almost ruined it today. Also, I wanted to wait 2 weeks before getting a touch up. Well...not gonna happen. I'll be at the hairdresser'door first thing monday morning!!

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
Welcome to the forum. Sorry that this happened to you cassidy.
I had had a tangle exprience when I first started using natural shampoos. My hair became so tangled that if I would have combed it...I know that I would have lost a ton of hair. What worked for me was rinsing the poo out quickly...and applying some Aubrey Organics GPB which is a great detangling conditioner. I only lost a little amount of hair because of it. I'm glad that you didn't ruin your hair, and hope that you get the rest untangled with ease. I found that finger combing before washing...and detangling your hair under the shower head with a wide tooth seamless comb helps prevent tangles. I am sure that someone will come along with better advice soon. It's still pretty early here in the states.

lonei

This has so happened to me before, I did cry
, but this was before I understood exactly how to look after my hair, I thought I would save loosing more hair by detangling afterwards, as you may have gathered, this doesnt work
. The only think I can suggest is motions leave in conditioner and lots of it, it is the best detangler I have ever used, also use a wide tooth comb. I dont know about relaxing your hair so soon after such trauma, it may do more harm than good, think about it.... hope this helps.

kitchen_tician

Hi cassidy and welcome, I too am sorry to hear about your bad experience. I also have very tangly hair and used to struggle with detangling.

ITA these 2 are a must for me, precombing prior to shampooing and shampooing in the shower.
Some others to try:
1. use very little manipulation of the hair. Don't shampoo your hair like a "blender"

2. Use a good detangling poo, (creame of nature, kera care hydrating poo)
3. ITA, combing hair in shower with wide tooth comb, works very well
4. Also, I'm not sure about the water in Paris, but a shower filter may help ease the detangling, by removing certain impurities
4. once finished with poos and conditioners and if your hair is still very tangly, use a clear serum or shine luminator to help with detangling (like farouk biosilk-expensive, maxie hair polish, and many others) I rarely use this because by the time I reach this stage, the tangles are gone. And yes you can style your hair with the serum.

5. oh yeah, try shampooing in sections. I haven't done it yet, but search the threads for more information.

see my post on the braid challenge.. i detangled my hais as i went along every time i took out a braid i detanglet it and added vo 5 and combed it through,i lost about a quater size of hair and mostly in the front where it started locking.but i have a lot of new growth so ill do it again... sorry about what happened to you.

simplyhair

I agree with combing the hair prior to shampoo.

Try Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner. It has awesome detangling. It's on Ebay right now for $4.00
!

cassidy

Ladies, thank you sooooo much for your advise and kind words. Well, my hair is not detangled yet and it's the end of the afternoon here. We started before noon...There is still almost a third of my head left. Let's just say I owe my friend big time!
Lonei, you may be right about not getting a relaxer so soon after this but I am so traumatized that I am scared to wash my hair again with so much new growth.
Kitchen_tician, I tried shampooing in sections. It didn't go well. I did 4 braids but my hair was so tangly that I even had a hard time taking them down. About the water in Paris, it is even worse than in the States IMO. I was thinking about getting a shower filter but haven't had time to do it yet. I will definitely put it on my list of "urgent things to do".
Do you ladies think that I got so many tangles also because I slept with my hot oil treatment on?
I think the bottom line is that I not used to doing my own hair after braids. This was the first time, I usually go to the salon for this.

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
cassidy said:
Ladies, thank you sooooo much for your advise and kind words. Well, my hair is not detangled yet and it's the end of the afternoon here. We started before noon...There is still almost a third of my head left. Let's just say I owe my friend big time!
Lonei, you may be right about not getting a relaxer so soon after this but I am so traumatized that I am scared to wash my hair again with so much new growth.
Kitchen_tician, I tried shampooing in sections. It didn't go well. I did 4 braids but my hair was so tangly that I even had a hard time taking them down. About the water in Paris, it is even worse than in the States IMO. I was thinking about getting a shower filter but haven't had time to do it yet. I will definitely put it on my list of "urgent things to do".
Do you ladies think that I got so many tangles also because I slept with my hot oil treatment on?
I think the bottom line is that I not used to doing my own hair after braids. This was the first time, I usually go to the salon for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cassidy, I normally sleep with a headful of concoctions and I don't have a problem. But I've never done a hot oil treat with jojoba oil, so i don't know of the effects.

aprilbiz

I had that happen to me before with bad results. I ended up pulling out bunches of my hair because I was impatient. Thinking back on what I did, I think I should have bought some Creme of Nature detangling shampoo, and worked out each of the areas with the buildup. It would have taken forever, but I probably wouldn't have lost as much hair. At the point where all the buildup was out, I would have washed it all, and used a super creamy conditioner to detangle.

You're better than me on waiting until Monday for a relaxer. I did mine the same night...with a temporary color.

cassidy

Thanks a lot for posting the link miss brown. I wish I had read this before. My friend finished detangling my hair 20 mn ago...yup...it took her 2 days(a day and a half actually)!! God bless her. I don't know what I would have done without her!
My hair broke but less than what I expected.
Anyway, I think I'll get a relaxer at the end of the week. I don't feel like washing my hair myself with all this new growth again. I'm contemplating getting a trim. I am not sure yet.
Also my hair is sooooo dry, I don't understand why. After the hot oil treatment and the 45 mn cholesterol treatment, it shouldn't be. When I took down my braids, my hair was moisturized. I was even surprised that my leave in and braid spray had worked so well. This has just been a nightmare!
Anyway, thanks a lot for your support. You have no idea how this helped...

kitchen_tician

[ QUOTE ]
cassidy said:
Thanks a lot for posting the link miss brown. I wish I had read this before. My friend finished detangling my hair 20 mn ago...yup...it took her 2 days(a day and a half actually)!! God bless her. I don't know what I would have done without her!
My hair broke but less than what I expected.
Anyway, I think I'll get a relaxer at the end of the week. I don't feel like washing my hair myself with all this new growth again. I'm contemplating getting a trim. I am not sure yet.
Also my hair is sooooo dry, I don't understand why. After the hot oil treatment and the 45 mn cholesterol treatment, it shouldn't be. When I took down my braids, my hair was moisturized. I was even surprised that my leave in and braid spray had worked so well. This has just been a nightmare!
Anyway, thanks a lot for your support. You have no idea how this helped...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad your hair detangled with minimal breakage!
As far as the cholesterol treatment, how does your hair normally react to it? Cholesterol doesn't work well on my hair and tends to dry it out and it tends to tangle. I know many people have success with it but I don't. I've also heard from a few hair stylists that it wasn't very good for your hair, but I'm sure that's debatable by many.
I guess it depends on your hair type. If your hair is already soft, maybe it may make it too soft and limp.

cassidy

Even though cholesterol usually leaves my hair soft and moisturized I think it might explain the dryness of my hair today. My hair is like yours 4a, 4b in certain areas but it was more like 4z this morning!!!
When I took down my braids, it was all cottony like it would in its natural state. If heat and cholesterol are not good for natural hair then I understand what happened.
No combing + heat + cholesterol = no no

Karonica

That's happened to me before, except I left mine in 3 months. What a horror.
At least we're able to learn from our mistakes. I will NEVER leave anything in for 3 months. EVER!