Why do braidouts always seem to DRY out your hair???

luvmesumhair

Whenever I do braidouts my hair looks so full and curly and pretty. But by the middle of the day my hair still looks good BUT is dry as paper. No matter what I seem to put into it.

What can I use to keep my braidouts moisturized and still keep the texture not weighed down?

Also, is Beeswax bad for the hair?

what are u putting on ur hair before u braid?...are u usually doing a braidout on wet or dry hair?...cant say beeswax is bad but i personally avoid it

Mine too---until I tried Traycee's method with the leave in, Aloe juice, glycerin and water spritz, moistruizer, and coconut oil---it really works!!!

When doing each section I use a mixture of oil (castor or olive) and V05 conditioner. Then I put my hair in braids....o yeah, this is on dry hair. When I take it down, it stays soft and never feels dry.

When doing each section I use a mixture of oil (castor or olive) and V05 conditioner. Then I put my hair in braids....o yeah, this is on dry hair. When I take it down, it stays soft and never feels dry.
But how is the definition of the curl? Do you have to redo them every night?

This happens to me at times. I have to saturate my hair with leave-in conditioner or conditioner before styling my hair in a braidout. When I mean saturate, I mean drenched with conditioner. HTH.

i redo mine everynight but not b.c. of dryness...but to have more definition for the next day. I use braid spray on dry hair mixed with aloe vera juice (which may be the cause of mine not drying out). Then i use aveda styling cream on top of that...then rebraid. Ill also use aloe vera gel. But so far i havent had a problem with drying out at the end of the day. Once i started using products that are more natural i have experienced more softer braidouts

i redo mine everynight but not b.c. of dryness...but to have more definition for the next day. I use braid spray on dry hair mixed with aloe vera juice (which may be the cause of mine not drying out). Then i use aveda styling cream on top of that...then rebraid. Ill also use aloe vera gel. But so far i havent had a problem with drying out at the end of the day. Once i started using products that are more natural i have experienced more softer braidouts
Ok so you are saying that I should let my hair airdry first. Then spray with braidspray mixed with Aloe Vera juice. Then use Aveda styling cream (which Aveda cream?) on top? And to maintain, use Aloe Vera Gel?

When I do braidouts and/or twistouts, I do the same things I would when rollersetting:

-Leave hair soaking wet
-Apply a little bit of leave in
-Apply a little bit of serum
-Spray each section before braiding/twisting
-Comb through each section with a small tooth comb (after detangling first, of course :p )
-Braid/twist
-Dry under dryer

My hair always comes out super soft and swingy :yep: Before I did it like this, my hair would be stiff and dry within a few hours

I do braidouts on soaking wet hair and I think the key, as some ladies mentioned, is using a good, moisturizing leave in. I prefer a creme based leave-in (like NTM Silk). Sometimes conditioner is all I use before I braid it. Before doing each section, make sure the leave-in is saturated from root to tip of your hair. The other thing I do is drizzle coconut oil throughout my hair on my scalp and also right before plaiting each section, make sure I saturate it with coconut oil as well.

Once it's completely dry (I stress completely), your hair will dry really soft and not crunchy or dry looking or feeling.

Hope that helps!

i used to have that problem, but now my braid-outs are moisturized. i use hollywood beauty carrot creme and seal it w/the hollywood beauty castor-oil or kemi oyl. works like a charm and my wave definition is great.

I use a good amount of some vo5 and lacio lacio on wet hair and I seal with hot six oil. It stays moist. No problem with dryness at all.

I use a homemade avocado butter blend with vitamin E oil, essential oils and glycerin. I take the section I want to twist/braid, spritz with water and aloe vera juice and then on the wet section I apply the butter and twist or braid.

I re-moisturize (redo this process) every other day before bedtime in chunky sections then braid, not twist but braid. The braids hold the moisture in better than the twists. Sometimes I'll baggie my whole head. I don't rock twist/braid-outs longer than a week though.

Ok so you are saying that I should let my hair airdry first. Then spray with braidspray mixed with Aloe Vera juice. Then use Aveda styling cream (which Aveda cream?) on top? And to maintain, use Aloe Vera Gel?

actually these are the products i use to maintain my braidout for the week. Its aveda brilliant styling cream. And sometimes i will mix the aloe gel with the styling cream before rebraiding.

I just did a touch up this past sunday using ORS and did a braid out as my style. My hair came out super super soft and moisturized even at the end of the day. Its really hot where I live (95 degrees and up) and dry. I rinsed out the ORS replinishing pack, but left a tiny amount in my hair. Towel dried and added Nexus Humectress as my leave in. Then I used Profectiv moisturizer in the yellow jar. I let my hair dry for 24 hours in braids and was shocked at how soft and moisturized my hair was. The last time I wore a braidout my hair was a crispy mess at the end of the day (because of the heat outside). Well not this time.

I find that the more conditioned it is, the more moisturized and silky the braidout will be once dried. Also sealing those ends with some type of silk serum always is helpful!

My braidouts usually stay moist. I do them on wet hair. I use motion CPR leave in, then I spray my glycerin/water mixture on and seal with a mixture of coconut and olive oil. I don't rebraid until about 3 days out, just wear a satin bonnet at night.

I make sure my hair is super wet (or spray with water

use my glycerin/aloe vera spray

put on leave in

seal with olive oil

I'm rocking a 3 day old braid out and my hair is very soft and the braidout was very defined!

I put leave in conditoner and virgin olive oil on my hair while it is wet, especially the ends and it always looks shinny without that greasy weighed down feeling.

Back