Why do I only have dandruff when I wear my hair pressed?

zzirvingj

Why do I only have dandruff when I wear my hair pressed?

Can someone tell me this? When I wear it natural, in a bun, I have no problems. But as soon as I straighten it, I've got flakes by like the 4th day.

It must have something to do with how often I wash it when it's in its natural state (which is often)....or maybe the heat from pressing drying out my scalp.

Any other naturals notice or experience this??

ETA: When I was relaxed, I used to have really bad dandruff...

Solitude

I think it's washing more, but it could be that you just don't see your scalp (or the dandruff) when your hair is in a bun.

zzirvingj

I think it's washing more, but it could be that you just don't see your scalp (or the dandruff) when your hair is in a bun.

I'm sure it's not there when I wear it natural...cuz I check lol :look:

I mean, it used to realllly bad when I was relaxed. So when I went natural, it was like one day I woke and realized the dandruff was no longer there. So every now and then I'll take a comb and "scratch my scalp"/examine it in the mirror, and there are basically zero flakes. Right now, it's pressed and I can barely lightly pass a wide toothed comb through my hair without TONS of flakes being ALL over the place. :nono: Sorry if that grosses anyone out :sad:

BlackMasterPiece

Because you wash your hair much more infrequently when you're maintaining a press....when you're rocking a natural style you'll have a tendency to co-wash/ shampo more frequently.

I recently pressed my hair straight to enjoy my crochet braid progress and towards the end of that press I promptly put my hair in mini twists so I could co-wash every three days....it just feels so much better and you don't have any buildup causing dandruff.

I think the dandruff you get when you're relaxed is because of scalp irritation from the relaxer touching your scalp and because of the fact that most relaxed (non- LHCF) ladies don't frequently co-wash/wash so they get the same issues with buildup causing dandruff.

Soliel185

Maybe the direct heat dries out your scalp?

I know that when I blowdry my hair the heat can leave it dry and a little flaky...almost like a sunburn but not that severe. I massage it with tea tree oil after straightening and it calms down.

It could also be that the products you use to press or to maintain your press cause build-up.

lana

For me it was that the product I used to press my hair had mineral oil in it. Sooooo...mineral oil causes my scalp to flake like mad! I also had to wash once a week when I straighten, it doesn't matter if it's not itching or whatever, once a week was a must!

Relaxers caused dry scalp and flaking for me, not the same as dandruff but it looked similar.

I hope this helps.

nikki2229

I'm thinking it could be the product that you are using to press your hair with.
Maybe it contains alcohol or silicones.

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
for me, sometimes the flakes are just product left over from my dc, or my hair is just dried out from the heat of the flatiron. ♥

JustKiya

I'd suspect whatever product you are using to press your hair, your scalp does NOT like. And since your hair is straight, the product can get on your scalp very easily - and it reacts with dandruff.

Fine 4s

Agreeing with several comments above: JustKiya, soleil and BMP...

If this is true you might want to use an anti-dandruff shampoo when you press and even lightly scratch your scalp prior to washing it to verify the condition of the scalp. You might just have dry scalp, a condition that shows itself more so when the hair is dried with eithe a blowdryer or hairdryer...Let us know how what helped.

PS- Where da hair progress pics. I'm in the mood for some zzirvingj progress pics!!!!

zzirvingj

Agreeing with several comments above: JustKiya, soleil and BMP...

If this is true you might want to use an anti-dandruff shampoo when you press and even lightly scratch your scalp prior to washing it to verify the condition of the scalp. You might just have dry scalp, a condition that shows itself more so when the hair is dried with eithe a blowdryer or hairdryer...Let us know how what helped.

PS- Where da hair progress pics. I'm in the mood for some zzirvingj progress pics!!!!

^LOL...I'm getting a new camera tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have some within the next month :drunk:

zzirvingj

I'm sure the reason why it's so bad this time is because of product buildup. I went to a new place with a friend of mine and was talking talking talking away with her while the lady washed my hair. Well, my hair hadn't been washed in like 2 weeks and she BARELY touched my scalp. And she BARELY rinsed it, too! How in the world did I let her get away with this? :/

HUGE mistake. So now product and crap from the past THREE weeks is flaking off my scalp. I mean, I literally had to go into the bathroom today just to scratch my head! I hadn't done anything like that in I don't know how long :nono:

BUT....I've been going to different people, as well as pressing it myself. Every time I am having this problem. Even after going to Too Groovy and TAG Concept Salons, who barely put anything at all on my hair when pressing it. As a matter of fact my last visit to the salon, she specifically said how they don't put much of anything on the hair and that that was the key to getting the "silky/flowy" end result. SO, I say all of that to say I'm not even sure if it's totally due to product. :ohwell: hmmm....

And does anyone know if dandruff is really a result of dry scalp? Or oily scalp? I thought it was a myth that it was due to dry scalp and that its really due to an over production of oils in the scalp so I get confused....

JustKiya

I think (completely unproven) that dandruff comes from an irritated scalp. Whether it's because it's dry, because it's too oily, because it doesn't like the products used, because it's dirty - whatever - the scalp is irritated.

Optimus_Prime

Sometimes sulfate shampoos irritate the scalp.
I'd try washing well with a sulfate-free poo, and lightly oiling my hair and scalp with jojoba or coconut oil.