Why do people lie about their hair texture?!

choconillaprincess

I just don't understand why people lie about their natural hair texture when it's blatantly obvious that your texture is not what you say it is?

So i was on this other site askin about funky haircuts on natural hair & most of the folks on their had relaxers in really awesome cuts (think scene hair)... & one chick was like well i can't help you because my hair is naturally straight anyway... ok thats fine thanx for your imput... so i go to her profile and she has a weave... that's fine too... but their is VERY OBVIOUS 3c/4ab sideburns... now why would you lie like that?

and this also reminds me of a friend I have who while I was dyeing her hair (blue) she was talking about when she was a kid and what her texture was like and blah blah blah... then she starts to brag about how her hair is naturally straight... mind you i'm lookin dead at this girls new growth in my hands... So I say why do you get relaxers then if it's straight? she say that it knocks out the frizziness...wtf?:ohwell:...

I dunno how many times I hear ppl talkin about how loose and wavy and straight whatever their hair is (or was :rolleyes:) when clearly they are LYING...

I'm not talkin bout ppl who really do have loose textured hair for real i'm talkin bout the perpetrators! and I notice that often it is the chicks whose hair is fried/dyed/burnt... if it was so great why didn't you just leave it alone? exactly...

There Is absolutely NOTHING wrong with nappy natural highly textured hair...when will ppl learn?

I just don't understand why people lie about their natural hair texture when it's blatantly obvious that your texture is not what you say it is?

So i was on this other site askin about funky haircuts on natural hair & most of the folks on their had relaxers in really awesome cuts (think scene hair)... & one chick was like well i can't help you because my hair is naturally straight anyway... ok thats fine thanx for your imput... so i go to her profile and she has a weave... that's fine too... but their is VERY OBVIOUS 3c/4ab sideburns... now why would you lie like that?

and this also reminds me of a friend I have who while I was dyeing her hair (blue) she was talking about when she was a kid and what her texture was like and blah blah blah... then she starts to brag about how her hair is naturally straight... mind you i'm lookin dead at this girls new growth in my hands... So I say why do you get relaxers then if it's straight? she say that it knocks out the frizziness...wtf?:ohwell:...

I dunno how many times I hear ppl talkin about how loose and wavy and straight whatever their hair is (or was :rolleyes:) when clearly they are LYING...

I'm not talkin bout ppl who really do have loose textured hair for real i'm talkin bout the perpetrators! and I notice that often it is the chicks whose hair is fried/dyed/burnt... if it was so great why didn't you just leave it alone? exactly...

lol that's funny..........:lachen: I've heard the same thing...

Je Ne Sais Quoi

This is funny as heck :lachen: Sorry, don't mean to laugh. I've not noticed anyone lie about their hair texture but the answer is quite OBVIOUS. The straight texture makes you better/more desirable/prettier. So of course if someone is unhappy about their nappy hair they will lie to make themselves feel better.

Alisha08

Choconilla, I don't know why ppl do it, I was just thinking about this just the other day. Honestly I still think the majority of ppl still have an issue regarding naps and stuff and want to appear less black and more this and that. :yep: Just my opinion tho.

Oh and its not just women either, guys do the same thing, if i hear one more thing about "yeah my hair so good, i got them naturally good waves..." when they clearly don't.

aloof one

Thats a funny story!

I gave up trying to find out my texture because it changed so much. But I would never be trying to say it was straight when I know it wasn't:nono:

Some people think they get more respect if they make stuff up, but its like they make up stuff that is obvious to figure out :rolleyes: Like when this brunette lied about being a natural blonde:nono: wearing some dollar store highlights. Could see the roots and all, her eyebrows gave it away too

AsTheCurlzTurns

This is funny as heck :lachen: Sorry, don't mean to laugh. I've not noticed anyone lie about their hair texture but the answer is quite OBVIOUS. The straight texture makes you better/more desirable/prettier. So of course if someone is unhappy about their nappy hair they will lie to make themselves feel better.

@the bolded--mmhmmm *nods head* think that's exactly why some of them lie. But to the OP it wouldn't surprise me none, the age-old lying about a person's hair is getting ridiculous, really. But I do understand where you're coming from though.

And hey Alisha, you nailed it on the head about them "naturally good waves"!! I heard that soooo much, that I"ve resorted to saying, "Yea you got it from a box, so it'll make your natural hair waveeee!!! *snaps fingers*LOL

hopeful

I think some people just like to lie, period. It seems to make them feel better about themselves.

Undefeated Queen

I agree. Some people are poisoned to believe that 4A or B hair is "bad" , "nappy" and "ugly" and that type 2 and 3 hair is beautiful. :rolleyes: They're crazy and ignorant.

Evazhair

The sad thing is those people will never be able to understand and master their own hair because they won't even acknowledge it.You have to embrace and accept your hair for what it is to be successful. And yes some people are just pathological liars, period.

Kurlee

:yep::yep:

justNikki

I noticed a photo just today where a young lady swears that this is her natural hair when it's clearly relaxed hair. I don't get it either. I also don't get why folks lie about how they get their hair to look a certain way, unless....no it can't be....unless they really do have esteem issues about their own hair, sad sad sad. :nono:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I noticed a photo just today where a young lady swears that this is her natural hair when it's clearly relaxed hair. I don't get it either. I also don't get why folks lie about how they get their hair to look a certain way, unless....no it can't be....unless they really do have esteem issues about their own hair, sad sad sad. :nono:

You know how it makes some folks feel good to say "i got some indian in my family"? It's the same thing. it's pretty funny but sad at the same time :spinning:

dany06

I really do understand what you are talking about choconillaprincess but you have to understand where the person with relaxed hair or person with the mistaken hair typing is coming from.

Well I have had a relaxer since I was in 2nd grade until last May. I am now 20 and I had no clue as to what my natural texture was like before cutting it. All I knew was what my parents told me (nappy nappy hair), but I didnt see that. When I was growing out my hair before bc'ing my new growth looked wavy and silky. I thought that I would have silky 3c strands. When I finally cut it I was like boy was I wrong because I have 4a/b hair with 3c only in a patch at the crown. This pulling and stretching of new growth by the heavy relaxed ends is very misleading to someone who just doesn't know.

Now my Mom who has has naturally curly hair from looking at all of her younger pictures (she's relaxed but even now her hair still curls up) and a few of my cousins with 3b/c hair will tell you any time and any place that they have nappy kinky hair. They aren't even aware of the hair typing system, but they feels as if they have 4b when they dont. This may be similar to alot of relaxed women who claim that they have 4b hair cuz 4 weeks of new growth isnt bone straight.

Basically many people lie about their hair texture because they just dont it or its been so long that they dont remember it.

Maybe Im a little insinsitive towards your complaint but dont take somebody not accepting their hair texture so personally. I really doubt if they are doing it to you intentionally well at least not to piss you off.

Now if someone says I have long silky smooth hair and you look at it and its chin length with raggedy ends then there is a problem.

Last edited:

Saida

I dont understand it either, I know a girl who's hair is obviously atleast a 3a but im pretty sure its in the type 2 hair group, who claims to have 4b hair.. :nono: if she only took good care of her hair she would see, but she puts in relaxer after relaxer.. and I just cant get her to see that she dosent need it.. she just has thick hair, but her hair is not 4b, her hair is 3a at the most.. :nono:

fluffylocks

I know :nono:

I'm sure we can all tell the difference between natually straight hair, and relaxed and flatironed hair :ohwell:

I asked this girl did she get a rollerset, blowdry, wrap, or airdry and flatiron.....

She told my her hair grows staight with a "wrapped" look :wallbash:

Now this is mess I can't understand. And choconilla I COMPLETELY agree with you on this one.

I really really really hate when someone sees my hair texture and says "Oh my hair used to be like that" or "Oh, girl I had better hair than you before I put the perm, my hair was just too curly I couldn't take it anymore" You would not believe the things people tell me when I wear my hair out natural. Not only associates but random people off the street I don't even know come up to me and start telling me these things like I care. It reflects the insecurity within themselves.

I always wonder why in the hell are they saying this to me,I'm just your average nappy natural trying to grow her hair out, my texture changes like the wind, whenever I wash my hair, its a total surprise, that why I don't even like hair typing that much, I'd rather use adjectives.

Thanks for giving me this opportunity to vent. :yep:

PinkPeony

You are probably talking about Whipz:yep:
I know she got nerve!!!!!!:nono:

:lachen:j/k

Like Q I believe tough there are ppl that know nothing but lying.
Why? I have no idea.
But if they tell me their lies I just nod and smile politely since I'm not out for arguments and some are to far gone and believe their own lies.

choconillaprincess

I know :nono:

I'm sure we can all tell the difference between natually straight hair, and relaxed and flatironed hair :ohwell:

I asked this girl did she get a rollerset, blowdry, wrap, or airdry and flatiron.....

She told my her hair grows staight with a "wrapped" look :wallbash:

OMG thats the worst! I new i couldn't have been the only one!

Dany06- I totally get where you're coming from but these girls were denying any texture whatsoever! that is soOo crazy to me

blue_flower

I remember someone said her was 1A, but I looked at her fotiki and she was actually a relaxed 4a. I could tell because of her new growth.

Rae1234

``I'm not talkin bout ppl who really do have loose textured hair for real i'm talkin bout the perpetrators! and I notice that often it is the chicks whose hair is fried/dyed/burnt... if it was so great why didn't you just leave it alone? exactly...``

i agree with this tooo... ppl always talk about when they were KID there h
air was past their batty... and than when you see a picture its sooo not true..

someone told me hair texture changes every 7 years ( i don't know how true that is)

i hate when ppl say oooh i used have hair just like yours... like wtf does that mean... sorrry i think my hair is unique in texture its hard to define it...

i dont think we should get caught up on texture ...we should focus on overall health of the hair...

bravenewgirl87

THey don't know any better. Think about it: If you got a relaxer every 4 weeks, how would you know your own hair texture? If you've been getting a relaxer since 3 years of age.... when have you ever seen your real hair?

Rae1234

There Is absolutely NOTHING wrong with nappy natural highly textured hair...when will ppl learn?

i agree with this tooo... ppl always talk about when they were KID there h
air was past their batty... and than when you see a picture its sooo not true..

someone told me hair texture changes every 7 years ( i don't know how true that is)

i hate when ppl say oooh i used have hair just like yours... like wtf does that mean... sorrry i think my hair is unique in texture its hard to define it...

i dont think we should get caught up on texture ...we should focus on overall health of the hair...

bravenewgirl87

Ita! To be honest, I think the texture thing altogether is devisive. You really don't need to know your texture to know what to do with it. We've been using products and techniques designed for type 1 and 2 hair, and they work fine on black folk's hair. I was taking advice from Camellia and she was a 2c/3a. You don't really need to know about your texture as much as you need to know about the state of the damage in your hair and your growth goals.

I really do understand what you are talking about choconillaprincess but you have to understand where the person with relaxed hair or person with the mistaken hair typing is coming from.

Well I have had a relaxer since I was in 2nd grade until last May. I am now 20 and I had no clue as to what my natural texture was like before cutting it. All I knew was what my parents told me (nappy nappy hair), but I didnt see that. When I was growing out my hair before bc'ing my new growth looked wavy and silky. I thought that I would have silky 3c strands. When I finally cut it I was like boy was I wrong because I have 4a/b hair with 3c only in a patch at the crown. This pulling and stretching of new growth by the heavy relaxed ends is very misleading to someone who just doesn't know.

Now my Mom who has has naturally curly hair from looking at all of her younger pictures (she's relaxed but even now her hair still curls up) and a few of my cousins with 3b/c hair will tell you any time and any place that they have nappy kinky hair. They aren't even aware of the hair typing system, but they feels as if they have 4b when they dont. This may be similar to alot of relaxed women who claim that they have 4b hair cuz 4 weeks of new growth isnt bone straight.

Basically many people lie about their hair texture because they just dont it or its been so long that they dont remember it.

Maybe Im a little insinsitive towards your complaint but dont take somebody not accepting their hair texture so personally. I really doubt if they are doing it to you intentionally well at least not to piss you off.

Now if someone says I have long silky smooth hair and you look at it and its chin length with raggedy ends then there is a problem.

lisana

Some people lie about their hair texture just like some people lie about how much they hate their hair for the exact same reason....attention...so folks can start gushing "oh, girl, your hair is beautiful and i wish i had your hair. Attention people, ATTENTION!

Last edited: