Why do people lie about their hair texture?!

kblc06

I have no clue as to why someone would lie about something so trivial. Perhaps it makes them feel better:nono:. But I can attest to someone mistakingly believing my hair was relaxed when it was rollerset & wrapped or mistaking a twistout for natural texture. I honestly don't think some people can wrap their minds around how truly versatile our hair is, especially in its natural state.

gone_fishing

I have a gf of mine who used to say her hair was naturally straight. I know someone will argue me down about this but I don't think black or even mixed people have naturally STRAIGHT hair. I believe some of them have loose curls but I have never seen a black person with naturally BONE STRAIGHT hair (unless pressed of ocurse).

So anyways, I was at her house one day and went to go use her bathroom (she lived alone) and I saw a box perm in her bathroom (I went under the sink to get some tp cause there were only two squares left on the roll).

I didn't say anything about it...but I took note of the condition of her hair.

About 2 weeks later her edges looked "neater" than it did previously and when I went to go look under the sink (just being nosey this time) it was gone.

So what am I supposed to think. :ohwell:

But then of course I DO actually know naturals (mostly naturals) who only relax their edges periodically and not all their hair...

can you still call yourself natural if you do that?

divya

Do people really take it that seriously? Guess I could really care less. Maybe the whole hair texture thing is a bit confusing to them and they label their hair wrong, possibly for reasons that Dany mentioned. Why does it have to be "lying"? Also to the person who stated that someone had 1A and their hair was 4a/b, 1A is the default on the forum so the person may not have changed it. If that's an issue, maybe the default should be changed to 4A/B and some people will feel better...LOL.

kblc06

I have a gf of mine who used to say her hair was naturally straight. I know someone will argue me down about this but I don't think black or even mixed people have naturally STRAIGHT hair. I believe some of them have loose curls but I have never seen a black person with naturally BONE STRAIGHT hair (unless pressed of ocurse).

So anyways, I was at her house one day and went to go use her bathroom (she lived alone) and I saw a box perm in her bathroom (I went under the sink to get some tp cause there were only two squares left on the roll).

I didn't say anything about it...but I took note of the condition of her hair.

About 2 weeks later her edges looked "neater" than it did previously and when I went to go look under the sink (just being nosey this time) it was gone.

So what am I supposed to think. :ohwell:

But then of course I DO actually know naturals (mostly naturals) who only relax their edges periodically and not all their hair...

:rolleyes: NO!-unless you shave your edges off

kally

Another big one is I have heard people truly believe that if they shave their head the hair will grow back a different texture.

divya

Interesting. If so, then I would be considered natural, but my natural texture is still a bit different, though some people say they can't tell the difference. But if the hair has chemicals, it's not natural to me.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Why care?? When someone gets to lying about something so trivial as hair texture, I just sit back and let the person talk. If it makes them feel better to believe they have "better" (used for lack of a better work) hair than they really have, let them. "Whatever floats your boat" is what I always say.:grin:

ETA:: I think "different" is a better word.:yep:

Last edited:

Islandspyce

Maybe the hair magazines help perpetuate the lies when they describe women that are clearly wearing weaves, as having naturally straight, wavy or whatever...perhaps some think that its okay to classify their own hair that way too.:perplexed

imstush

I have no clue as to why someone would lie about something so trivial. Perhaps it makes them feel better:nono:. But I can attest to someone mistakingly believing my hair was relaxed when it was rollerset & wrapped or mistaking a twistout for natural texture. I honestly don't think some people can wrap their minds around how truly versatile our hair is, especially in its natural state.

ITA with the post and the bolded.

gone_fishing

Do people really take it that seriously? Guess I could really care less. Maybe the whole hair texture thing is a bit confusing to them and they label their hair wrong, possibly for reasons that Dany mentioned. Why does it have to be "lying"? Also to the person who stated that someone had 1A and their hair was 4a/b, 1A is the default on the forum so the person may not have changed it. If that's an issue, maybe the default should be changed to 4A/B and some people will feel better...LOL.

That's funny. I remember when I used to think everybody was from Afghanistan. I was like WOW - I didn't know there was this many black women in Afghanistan. :lachen:

divya

That's funny. I remember when I used to think everybody was from Afghanistan. I was like WOW - I didn't know there was this many black women in Afghanistan. :lachen:

:lachen::lachen: I know right...then I realized I was from Afghanistan too! :lachen:

tinkat

I really do understand what you are talking about choconillaprincess but you have to understand where the person with relaxed hair or person with the mistaken hair typing is coming from.

Well I have had a relaxer since I was in 2nd grade until last May. I am now 20 and I had no clue as to what my natural texture was like before cutting it. All I knew was what my parents told me (nappy nappy hair), but I didnt see that. When I was growing out my hair before bc'ing my new growth looked wavy and silky. I thought that I would have silky 3c strands. When I finally cut it I was like boy was I wrong because I have 4a/b hair with 3c only in a patch at the crown. This pulling and stretching of new growth by the heavy relaxed ends is very misleading to someone who just doesn't know.

Now my Mom who has has naturally curly hair from looking at all of her younger pictures (she's relaxed but even now her hair still curls up) and a few of my cousins with 3b/c hair will tell you any time and any place that they have nappy kinky hair. They aren't even aware of the hair typing system, but they feels as if they have 4b when they dont. This may be similar to alot of relaxed women who claim that they have 4b hair cuz 4 weeks of new growth isnt bone straight.

Basically many people lie about their hair texture because they just dont it or its been so long that they dont remember it.

Maybe Im a little insinsitive towards your complaint but dont take somebody not accepting their hair texture so personally. I really doubt if they are doing it to you intentionally well at least not to piss you off.

Now if someone says I have long silky smooth hair and you look at it and its chin length with raggedy ends then there is a problem.

Thats a good point

anon123

:lachen::lachen: I know right...then I realized I was from Afghanistan too! :lachen:

I was just about to say it, too. :lachen: I saw my profile and it said I was 1A and I was like "I don't think people are going to believe that from my pictures" and I was from Afghanistan. I am pretty short, so at least it got that part right. I have to figure out how to change that.

FlawedBeauty

i don't know why people would lie about it either. but i do know that texlaxing knocks out my frizziness. my curls are very frizzy when not texlaxed, but after i texlax they are loser, more defined, and the frizzies are really gone.

and this also reminds me of a friend I have who while I was dyeing her hair (blue) she was talking about when she was a kid and what her texture was like and blah blah blah... then she starts to brag about how her hair is naturally straight... mind you i'm lookin dead at this girls new growth in my hands... So I say why do you get relaxers then if it's straight? she say that it knocks out the frizziness...wtf?:ohwell:...

FlawedBeauty

Another big one is I have heard people truly believe that if they shave their head the hair will grow back a different texture.

lol!! this is interesting because i actually went through a phase in like 7th grade where i shaved the back of my head lmao :lachen: and i mean i bic'd that mess with the leg razor. my mother almost killed me, it was my whole nape area from about ear to ear and that in fact is a totally different texture now from the crown forward. i'm not saying that is the reason but my texture back there is much more managable then from the crown up. i really wish i could remember what it was like before to be able to say whether or not shaving was the reason for it.

Southernbella.

Some people lie about their hair texture just like some people lie about how mush they hate their hair for the exact same reason....attention...so folks can start gushing "oh, girl, your hair is beautiful and i wish i had your hair. Attention people, ATTENTION!

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

SignatureBeauty

Some people lie about their hair texture just like some people lie about how mush they hate their hair for the exact same reason....attention...so folks can start gushing "oh, girl, your hair is beautiful and i wish i had your hair. Attention people, ATTENTION!

ITA!!!:lachen: That is so True, I have seen that quite a bit. Or they Threaten to cut it off!!

Last edited:

Cichelle

Whew...ain't that the truth. :ohwell:

cmw45

I've also noticed it the opposite way. I have noticed 3cs claim to be 4as (and even once a 4b). I don't get it. I don't think anyone is going to question your hard work if you admit to having a looser curl pattern. IDK. just seems a bit odd.

DayStar

i have a friend who LIES and says she doesnt relax..when i know d*mn well she does....no ones NATURAL BLACK HAIR resembles relaxed hair.....no ones...why lie...do you think you are "better" or you have "good hurr"...dumb coons...

PinkSkates

Wow...you must have been reading my mind. Your post is sooooo true.
Originally Posted by lisana

Tallone

Is that they lie or just don't know. I couldn't begin to tell you what mine is.
THEY LIE!
You know if you've popped more than your fair share of combs in your day that your hair is far from "naturally straight"

STLCoverGirl

Lol, true.

I think with hair texture though it can be confusing. I know some people lie on purpose, but it still amazes me how different textures can be.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Lol, true.

I think with hair texture though it can be confusing. I know some people lie on purpose, but it still amazes me how different textures can be.
I'm still confused about it- all that 3ABC and 4AB Cnapp, I just don't know...:grin: My natural texture is 2PZ, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!:lachen:

Tallone

I'm still confused about it- all that 3ABC and 4AB Cnapp, I just don't know...:grin: My natural texture is 2PZ, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!:lachen:
I will pay your 400 Gagillion dollars to change your screen name to that !:lachen:

Windsy

THEY LIE!
You know if you've popped more than your fair share of combs in your day that your hair is far from "naturally straight"

Well forgive me for thinking anyone would lie about hair of all things to get attention. Again, I honestly think some people just don't know.

Spongie Bloom

yes :yep: having gone to an all girls high school i know that some girls do lie about Everythign including hair and well its not that surprising seeiing how important hair is to a women. i can understand someone not knowing 4a 3c etc but how can you not know if you real hair (even if u relax) is straight or curly, coily etc? im not buying that :spinning: