Why does she keep trimming my hair?

Kinkyhairlady

I recently started going to a new stylist for my wash and sets because I heard she was good. The first visit she washed my hair and while doing my rollerset I noticed she she was cutting the ends before she would roll it. At that point I was shocked cause she never asked me if I wanted that done or not so I let her do it since I know I had not had a trim in a few months.

The following week I went to my usual stylist for a touch up and a trim, she trimmed my hair well and shaped it. I don’t go to her for washes because she is too pricey $60 for a wash and set.

Anyways two weeks later I go to the other lady for a wash and set again and she starts to do the same thing and snip a piece off the front, I almost jumped out the chair. I told her I just got a trim two weeks ago so I know I don’t have no damaged ends. She was like oh you don’t want me to cut them? I said no I don't. Now I am nervous going to her cause she is really sneaky with those scissors and of course you know they face you away from the mirror so that does not help you to see what they doing. I just don’t understand why she wants to cut my hair, especially she does not even ask me. I want to be able to tell her not to do that anymore but how do I do so without being rude to her? I do like her rollerset though, but I also want my bob to grow out.

Tinkerbell19

I think u should just be honest with her. I truly feel that sometimes stylist get confused and think your hair is actually their hair WRONG! i would just politely tell her that you are trying to grow it out so please dont cut the ends. She is not doing your hair for free so she needs to respect your wishes. Good Luck

The Princess

Just tell her you trying to grow your hair out and the excessive cutting will put a dent in your healthy hair growth. She a beautician she should respect your wishes if not. She should not get a attitude or upset. Then tell her when you decide to get it trim she will be the first to know.

Andy1979

To be fair, perhaps she did not know you were trying to grow your hair out. Some women actually like to maintain their short hair, so she may have been thinking she was helping you out by maintaining your bob for you....(just a thought...i always like to give folks the benefit of the doubt :).....now if you tell her you're trying to grow it out, and she continues with the trims then all bets are off! Find another stylist.

atlien11

I had a stylist that did this too. She claimed it was for a "Finished" look. Finished my arse! I asked her to only trim once a month (or at least ASK ME FIRST). I would also ask her to not turn your chair around so that you can see what she is doing :yep:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Why does she keep trimming your hair? Because you allow her too! Beautitians will usually cut your hair not only because of damaged ends, but to maintain a healthy even hairstyle. Tell her that you're trying to grow your hair out and you don't want your hair trimmed. If she does not listen to you or try to persuade you to cut your hair, get up and walk out the door! I don't play when it comes to my hair, that's why I don't go to salons or hair stylists anymore.

locabouthair

To be fair, perhaps she did not know you were trying to grow your hair out. Some women actually like to maintain their short hair, so she may have been thinking she was helping you out by maintaining your bob for you....(just a thought...i always like to give folks the benefit of the doubt :).....now if you tell her you're trying to grow it out, and she continues with the trims then all bets are off! Find another stylist.

this may be true but she still should have asked first.

I had a stylist like that. LOVED to cut. and she'd do it without asking and just start snipping away. Deinitely speak up and let her know you are trying to grow out your hair and you dont want a trim.

How much is your stylist charging for a perm, if she's charing $60 just for a wash and set?

Andy1979

this may be true but she still should have asked first.

I had a stylist like that. LOVED to cut. and she'd do it without asking and just start snipping away. Deinitely speak up and let her know you are trying to grow out your hair and you dont want a trim.

How much is your stylist charging for a perm, if she's charing $60 just for a wash and set?

Yes, I realize she should have asked first, but since i can't give that advice to the stylist all I can recommend is that anyone who goes to a stylist make all of your expectations clear up front.
By no means am i saying it is the young lady's fault for not specifying that she is growing her hair; I just wanted to express that i don't think the stylist had evil intent in performing the trim....
the thread asked "Why is she trimming my hair" and I just wanted to offere a suggestion as to why.

PinkSkates

Originally posted by Ellis
I recently started going to a new stylist for my wash and sets because I heard she was good. The first visit she washed my hair and while doing my rollerset I noticed she she was cutting the ends before she would roll it. At that point I was shocked cause she never asked me if I wanted that done or not so I let her do it since I know I had not had a trim in a few months.

The following week I went to my usual stylist for a touch up and a trim, she trimmed my hair well and shaped it. I don’t go to her for washes because she is too pricey $60 for a wash and set.

Anyways two weeks later I go to the other lady for a wash and set again and she starts to do the same thing and snip a piece off the front, I almost jumped out the chair. I told her I just got a trim two weeks ago so I know I don’t have no damaged ends. She was like oh you don’t want me to cut them? I said no I don't. Now I am nervous going to her cause she is really sneaky with those scissors and of course you know they face you away from the mirror so that does not help you to see what they doing. I just don’t understand why she wants to cut my hair, especially she does not even ask me. I want to be able to tell her not to do that anymore but how do I do so without being rude to her? I do like her rollerset though, but I also want my bob to grow out.
Forget about being rude...You have to let people know what you want, otherwise you probably wont get it!
Just be blunt but respectful, and say..."I want my hair to grow out, so do not trim My Hair unless I instruct you to do so....thanks."
Problem solved...Good luck!

Keen

Forget about being rude...You have to let people know what you want, otherwise you probably wont get it!
Just be blunt but respectful, and say..."I want my hair to grow out, so do not trim My Hair unless I instruct you to do so....thanks."
Problem solved...Good luck!

Exactly. Like all the ladies has been saying, just be honest with her. Tell her you value her opinion but you don't want to cut your hair. If she is offended then maybe you should get a new stylist.

lexi84

Wait, I'm confused. Why did you go back for another trim a week after the other stylist gave you one? Not trying to be sarcastic, just curious. :yep:

Blossssom

Or whip her a$$! :lachen:

shmmr

My advice....

in a respectful way, let her know that you only want your hair trimmed when you say so. Let her know it is not okay to trim with every rollerset. Also, its okay to ask that the chair be turned around so that you can see exactly what she's doing. One thing you may want to consider is that once you have this talk with her, don't sit in someone else's chair, unless you're prepared to have this talk again. If after this they don't respect your wishes, go elsewhere. I do hope that you end up with someone who will help you get to your goals in the way you want.

Shmmr

Kinkyhairlady

I agree with all the advice, I will try to speak up. I just get so intimadated when it comes to stylist and I always let them screw my hair up one way or another, cause I am afraid to speak up. She seemed annoyed when I told her no the other day I just hope she does not do it again. I will give her one last try if she tries to do so again I am just not going back cause she obviously does not listen or just wants me to stay at the same length. This is why I go somewhere else for my touch ups cause that lady listens and ask me what I want. She is just to darn expensive.

JustKiya

Two words... Dump her, if she does not comply with your requests. Period.

Basically, that. And what the heck IS it with stylists turning you away from the mirror? To me, that's a HUGE red flag right there - why can't I SEE what you are doing to my head as you do it? Nuh-uh, nuh-uh. :nono:

She keeps trimming your hair because she wants to. :lol: Simple as that, really, and you'd have to ask her what her reasons are. If you don't want her to trim it, tell her, clearly -
Please do not trim my hair unless I specifically request a trim, thanks!
One sentence, polite, clear.

If she touches your hair even once more with scissors without you requesting, I would stop her, get out of the chair, and never return, because it's clear that she isn't catering to the client. :nono: