Why dont people get jehri curls anymore?

*Happily Me*

Well I went to a wedding on Monday, and the grooms mother and father both strolled in late and sat behind my friend and I, and someone asked them why they were late and the mother said "we had to get our hair done", so my silly self just had to see what type of hair style would make you and your husband late for your only sons wedding so I turn around to say Hi and low and behold they had matching Jehri curls:lachen:I almost died right there. I had to compose myself, then I heard the wife whisper to the husband " Yours is kinda dry you should have put some more spray in it". That did it ya'll, I promise I was a shaking, crying fool my friend next to me kept trying to hug and console me, she thought I was crying because of the ceremony lol! I had to pinch myself the entire time to keep from laughing. Lord forgive me.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NWUTDC80B1E&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sBndhOE2bzk

Miss*Tress

But on the real though, I do remember some folks back in the day who had really long gherri curls and (can you imagine it straightened out?) and after reading a lot of the stuff here on the board, I have to say that it's them wearing those darn plastic caps 24/7 and keeping moisture in their head that had to play a part in it.
One of my friends (parents from the Dem. Rep. of Congo) had a jheri curl and beautiful MBL hair. I never noticed any drips or grease spots on her clothing - I just remembered feeling really envious of the length of her hair.

Miss*Tress

Well I went to a wedding on Monday, and the grooms mother and father both strolled in late and sat behind my friend and I, and someone asked them why they were late and the mother said "we had to get our hair done", so my silly self just had to see what type of hair style would make you and your husband late for your only sons wedding so I turn around to say Hi and low and behold they had matching Jehri curls:lachen:I almost died right there. I had to compose myself, then I heard the wife whisper to the husband " Yours is kinda dry you should have put some more spray in it". That did it ya'll, I promise I was a shaking, crying fool my friend next to me kept trying to hug and console me, she thought I was crying because of the ceremony lol! I had to pinch myself the entire time to keep from laughing. Lord forgive me.
Too funny. :lachen:

sweetwhispers

:look:

Ya know, I've wondered this. Seems like Jherri Curls and Curly Perms got stuck in the 80's - as much as technology and science has progressed since then (and as many people want THAT kind of big curl :rolleyes:) you would think some interprising company would have revamped it by NOW......

Thats what i'm, thinking. I know there's something called a demi-perm, my sisiter is convinced that Kelis's hair is not her natural texture and that she has a demi perm.

mikal

girl my auntie had one and i almost died when i had to pic her up from the airport... we hadnt seen each other in a long time but when i saw her all i could think was .. "crumple crumple crumple" (the sound of the showercap on a pillowcase when you toss and turn all nite)...and then it was hot so the jerri curl juice and the sweat was just collecting on her scalp and i was like . "oh my Jesus..."

i have scars from the curl - my mother made me get one when i was like 10 and there was noo swimming in our pool for me... there was an oil slick wherever i went... needless to say i complained and bawled until she put my hair in braids for it to grow out....

sydney100

Yall killing me:lachen:Missnurslady post...had me dying. Hey, I'm trying to be professional right now and I keep laughing at loud.

I had a carefree curl from5th grade to 8th grade. It did grow my hair, but I was glued to my activator bottle and the plastic bags. Now, come on ..can you see yourself wearing a plastic bag to bed every night. You laying there with your significant other but you have a plastic bag on your head trying to look sexy. I can make a scarf look sexy, but not a plastic bag! :drunk: and not to mention the shirts I messed up. There was a ring around every collar. For those past jehri curlers....what about riding in a car and leaning your head against the window...now you have that big juicy curl ring on the window.

2grlsandme

Yall killing me:lachen:Missnurslady post...had me dying. Hey, I'm trying to be professional right now and I keep laughing at loud.

I had a carefree curl from5th grade to 8th grade. It did grow my hair, but I was glued to my activator bottle and the plastic bags. Now, come on ..can you see yourself wearing a plastic bag to bed every night. You laying there with your significant other but you have a plastic bag on your head trying to look sexy. I can make a scarf look sexy, but not a plastic bag! :drunk: and not to mention the shirts I messed up. There was a ring around every collar. For those past jehri curlers....what about riding in a car and leaning your head against the window...now you have that big juicy curl ring on the window.

I was a former juicy head when I was in the 6th grade.:lick::lick::lick:Need I say more? It was a slick mess. My older sister was in beauty school So everything got tried on me. You always knew where I was just follow the drip.:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:Eventuallu she relaxed it(Yep over the Curl) and I went straight bald all around my edges.:blush::blush::blush: Lawd stop me I can hardly finish writing this I am laughing so hard.!!!!

chickory_bee

When I had a J-Curl, I didnt use an activator, I just used a leave in, and it was GREAT!:grin:
I just got tired of people asking me whether I was SURE I wanted a CURL:blush:

Spongie Bloom

Same here - I got a curl in second grade and I was the only one in my class w/one. The other kids used to tease me and call me "juicy fruit " say things like "the juice is loose." I hated it. And I would never get one today b/c it's not very versatile. I don't think you can successfully blow dry and flat iron it straight when you felt like it and then go back to wearing it curly. You're stuck w/ constantly upkeeping that wet curly look. But there are two members of my church (mother & daughter) who still wear the curl faithfully. And their stylists is very talented w/ putting it in. Their stylist is also very good at cutting/shaping and coloring it. Their hair looks good. Perfectly shaped light brown juicy waves, ringlets, and curls. To each his own. I guess.

im going to hell for this :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Errah I think Shimmie posted her Jehri curl pic over in the health forum. It maybe a older pic but it looks like fiyah. :)
Thanks for the compliment. :kiss:

The thing is, I've never had a Jehri curl. :nono: :lol: My hair is just naturally 'curly' all by itsself; it has a curly mind of its own :yep: and it drives me nuts, because I love straight hair. :drunk: It lies straight when it's wet, but as it dries....that's when it draws up into waves and spiral curls. :ohwell:

I have to find that picture again. I took it down. My hair was also very short, hence the Jehri look. I hated that hair picture :blush: ...

But again, thank you for the compliment. :yep:

septemberbaby

This thread is hilarious. My co-worker has a curl still. She does her touch-ups herself too! She will not. let. it. go.

I used to have a Carefree Curl from 8th grade to 10th grade. Then I got a "dry" curl called a "Nature Wave". Now that was the bomb! No more drip, drip from me. I had pretty loose waves. I remember girls asking me all of the time what I had in my hair. I didn't appreciate it then because that's when all the girls started wearing "doobies" and I wanted one. I straightened my hair with a relaxer and never went back.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
This thread is hilarious. My co-worker has a curl still. She does her touch-ups herself too! She will not. let. it. go.

I used to have a Carefree Curl from 8th grade to 10th grade. Then I got a "dry" curl called a "Nature Wave". Now that was the bomb! No more drip, drip from me. I had pretty loose waves. I remember girls asking me all of the time what I had in my hair. I didn't appreciate it then because that's when all the girls started wearing "doobies" and I wanted one. I straightened my hair with a relaxer and never went back.

It is indeed :lol:

I was doing a 'search' for my threads and this one popped up...I couldn't figure out why until I started searching through it... :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: Too funny.

No one that I know personally has a Jehri curl, though I've seen others with them and the 'drip, drip' that came with it. What a mess....:drunk:

Transformer

Yes, I agree this thread is just hilarious.
In the eighties, I had a white co-worker who stayed at a hotel that was hosting a Black church convention. He came back to work and asked me why "Black people wear shower caps all the time."

Have you ever been to a "Cabaret" where a bunch of "ole school" dudes hang out. You will still find the Jeri Curl set....they are usually in the linen baggy pants with a large linen button down worn out, and of course don't forget the Stacey Adams shoes! They tend to drive Cadillacs or large Buicks...but what is "most funny" they will try to convince you that it's their "natural" hair. I just want to know the hairdresser that is still doing this!

baby42

i had one back in the day:blush::lachen:but now i use cfc gold instant avtivator it a geat mosturizer for me just juiceing away:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

beautyaddict1913

I know people still do, but not as many as in the 80s. :nono: I'm not saying that I want one. The jehri curl could have evolved over the years. "Other" people still get curly perms and the curly perms for their hair change over the years. Why couldn't ours?

Also, I dont know much about jehri curls, but can u still straighten ur hair once in a while if u have one?

Lmaaooooo!!! I fell out as soon as I read the title of this thread! I was like is this a real question? lol! But my mom said that jheris made their hair grow in the 80s and she accredits it to the low manipulation and jojoba oil as a key ingredient in the product line...the activators kept their hair well moisturized too so they had less breakage....I know that I wouldnt get one....I wore totally twisted gel in my hair last week and every piece of equipment I touched at the gym was left greasy from my head...I felt like I had a jheri curl...I was sooo embarassed lol!

choctaw

I wore totally twisted gel in my hair last week and every piece of equipment I touched at the gym was left greasy from my head...I felt like I had a jheri curl...I was sooo embarassed lol!

:lachen: Carry a couple clorox wipes in a ziplock and wipe down the equipment as you finish. yep, that gel can announce itself at times

Tene

I use to have a wave nouveau as a child and didn't have to use all that activator in my hair.