Why is it that...

Sylvia

how is is that all of the black women back in the 30's-70's had long, thick, black hair? People like The supremes and all them had some nice hair! What were they doing to their hair? As time went on, haircare went down the drain sometime around the late 1980's...what happened? why dont we just go back to how it was?

kitchen_tician

Many of the Supremes wore wigs!
I don't know about the other women of that time.

Tai

I agree with Kitchen tician. Most of the hair that we saw then from celebrities were wigs.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
As time went on, haircare went down the drain sometime around the late 1980's...what happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heat styling happened, IMO. Back in the day women wore roller sets. It went downhill when we started using curling irons and blow dryers several times a week to keep our style looking fresh.

loverofnaps71

Yes. I don't want to start a relaxer debate, so please bear with me:

My mother was one of those women who had GORGEOUS, thick reddish brown hair back in the 70's and 80's. In the early 90's, she was still a young woman, so it wasn't that her hair was thinning. Here's what I think happened: the changing ingredients in relaxers or box perms. I think the chemicals became harsher. Also, I think many women of the 60's, 70's and 80's [excluding public figures] pressed their hair instead of relaxed it. I think pressing is less stressful on the hair than relaxing. My mother, who STILL relaxes her hair, even agreed that she thinks relaxing has caused a lot of thinning in black women's hair as well...

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I heard something like that but with a different spin on it. Relaxers in the olden days were very strong so people had no choice but the leave them on for a short period of time. The new formulas have buffer ingredients and uninformed people started to let the relaxer "marinate" until the hair got bone straight. And if they were anything like the women I knew in the 80's, they got a touch up as soon as they saw one crinkle of new growth.

I still think excessive heat styling is the main culprit.

Nay

I think that in the '80s a lot of ladies were doing home dyes and home perms and they didn't know what the heck they were doing. My mother's hair was jacked up in those years for that very reason. But back then people maybe didn't have the resources to splurge and get their hair professionally done, so they had to head for the sink and experiment
and their hair paid the price

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Well, I believe some of them wore wigs but I've seen pics of my mother back in the day when she had an afro and when she had it down with curls. Her hair was very thick and in nice condition. She didnt start relaxing until she was in her late teens or early 20's which was back in the 70's.

honeycomb719

I was wondering the same thing after getting some pics of my mom from my grandmother the other day. My mothers hair was super long and full, now I dont no what to say happen. And I never had hair to the length my mom was able to achieve when she was my age.