Why make videos?

krissyhair

I have thought for a long time how much fun it would be to create hair videos online. I studied video production in college, and I work at a public access TV station so I have the resources, skills and love for hair that would make a good combination

Last night I recorded a video, made a motion graphic and alladat, but I could not bring myself to upload it. All of a sudden, the idea of documenting how I care for my hair online in videos seems foreign and uncomfortable. Is that just stage fright?

IronButterfly

Maybe at the core of your being you realize you are a private person. A LOT of those videos are painful to watch and seem to be made by ppl in need of lots of attention and very little to say. I can't even get past the first 5 seconds on some.

Being in front of the camera is not for everyone. It might not be for you and that has nothing to do with stage fright. Stage fright doesn't necessarily deter one from their heart's desire. It just makes the effort more intense.

curlycrocheter

I agree^ I've often thought of making videos, but the thought of sharing something that's very personal is off putting.

It's like inviting a million strangers into the bathroom while I comb my hair...IDK...weird.

Duchess007

I have this thought too. I think I would be all for it if:

1. I was 100% comfortable with looking at myself, and
2. I was 100% sure that I had something new and valuable to share.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Cherokee-n-Black

I tried it but I was so embarrassed whenever anyone I actually knew IRL said they saw my vids! Funny part is they thought they were great. I was mortified! I just don't see how the hardcore vloggers keep it up. I have so many blooper reels with my kids walking in "So, I take the oil to seal my--" Kid leans over into camera "who are you talking to, mommy?" "Mommy are you doing the thing with the girls and their hair on the videos?" Thanks guys. It's not for everybody, but you never know--you could be famous. They all started somewhere! LOL For my part, I always found the vids helpful, so I thought sharing my experiences and product reviews might be helpful to someone else. But, they didn't garner much interest--and I was OK with that. LOL

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I'm way too self conscious to make videos, but I'm SO glad a lot of others aren't. I'm so grateful for all of the informative videos and blogs I've seen. :yep:

Lovestyr

Girl just do it and see how you feel after you've uploaded, you can always take it down at any point. I have quite a few videos of wigs reviews back when that was my protective style a long time ago.

I appreciate anyone who has knowledge to share. I stay on youtube all day at work looking at videos, seeing what I'm going to attempt on my hair. I be playing beautucian in my room every weekend, thanks to youtube.

Ogoma

I am in the camp that thinks you should do it. You've come this far, don't let fear stop you.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
krissyhair, the fear (for me) was, will ppl be mean or say rude things. Is my camera quality good enough, etc. After the initial upload, I got over it. The way I figure, if mean comments start popping up, I will disable comments and move on. You're professionally trained. I'm sure your vids would be awesome.

faithVA

I have thought for a long time how much fun it would be to create hair videos online. I studied video production in college, and I work at a public access TV station so I have the resources, skills and love for hair that would make a good combination

Last night I recorded a video, made a motion graphic and alladat, but I could not bring myself to upload it. All of a sudden, the idea of documenting how I care for my hair online in videos seems foreign and uncomfortable. Is that just stage fright?

We could use some more professional vloggers. I think you should try it. But take your time. Maybe make a few more videos and just hold onto them. And when you are ready you can post them.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
It's always a bit nerve-wracking doing something new. I agree with faithVA, just hold onto them until your mind and nerves process it better. I'd like to do videos good but am not really going at anything but chatting, LOL! Good luck lovie.

g.lo

I make video as well, it took a while to be comfortable with it. I don't have the most beautiful lush hair. My reasons were, I wanted to share my struggles as a fine hair lady, who suffered badly from post partum shedding, saw her density reduced tremendously and who is styled challenged.
If I can encourage only one person, that will make my day.
Most of the time people gushes over thick, long fabulous hair.
I wasn't gifted with that and want to take pride with what I have.
upload a video and see how you feel, if you don't like it you can always delete.

Ps: do you mind sharing your channel?

krissyhair

Maybe at the core of your being you realize you are a private person. A LOT of those videos are painful to watch and seem to be made by ppl in need of lots of attention and very little to say. I can't even get past the first 5 seconds on some.

Being in front of the camera is not for everyone. It might not be for you and that has nothing to do with stage fright. Stage fright doesn't necessarily deter one from their heart's desire. It just makes the effort more intense.

You are right, i may just be more private than I originally thought.

We could use some more professional vloggers. I think you should try it. But take your time. Maybe make a few more videos and just hold onto them. And when you are ready you can post them.

I think I will save the video. There may be a time later that I might want to upload it.

@krissyhair, the fear (for me) was, will ppl be mean or say rude things. Is my camera quality good enough, etc. After the initial upload, I got over it. The way I figure, if mean comments start popping up, I will disable comments and move on. You're professionally trained. I'm sure your vids would be awesome.

For me, not having super high quality camera and equipment doesn't mean much. In school, they always stress content is way more important. Who cares if your effects are in super HD if you're not saying anything good. I've watched some great webcam hair videos.

I make video as well, it took a while to be comfortable with it. I don't have the most beautiful lush hair. My reasons were, I wanted to share my struggles as a fine hair lady, who suffered badly from post partum shedding, saw her density reduced tremendously and who is styled challenged.
If I can encourage only one person, that will make my day.
Most of the time people gushes over thick, long fabulous hair.
I wasn't gifted with that and want to take pride with what I have.
upload a video and see how you feel, if you don't like it you can always delete.

Ps: do you mind sharing your channel?

If I do decide to upload some videos in the future, I will be glad to share here. I have other types videos in my portfolio online, but none of them are hair videos. Those are for a completely different audience.

NefertariBlu

Slightly off topic, but l thought you were going to say, why make videos of your hair and don't show your face. I have seen a few of those and l find them really creepy. I saw one the other day and the lady was giving a product review, she had a shadow over her face and l quickly closed it. I think its weird.

krissyhair

Slightly off topic, but l thought you were going to say, why make videos of your hair and don't show your face. I have seen a few of those and l find them really creepy. I saw one the other day and the lady was giving a product review, she had a shadow over her face and l quickly closed it. I think its weird.

What? Nooo, that is creepy. Why go through all the trouble of hiding her face? She could have just written a review.

Lovestyr

Yeah that is very weird. I was looking at some youtube bf hauls of 2012 and this one name productjunkie. This women had a collection out of this world. Anyway, I checked out her other videos and noticed she never shows her face. That's okay but how is someone going to give a product review and we can't see what condition their hair is in?? Maybe this is silly but it bothered me. Sorryy to get off topic,I just wanted to chime in :)

krissyhair

Lovestyr can you please tell me what bf means in re: to products and hauls? I see that acronym a lot on this forum and have no idea what it stands for.

naturalmanenyc

This was my very first YouTube video. I took it down (had to change music for YouTube) and put it back up later. It was a request from ladies on this site about how I made my bun. http://youtu.be/oolIi44e66Q

I get tons of hits on my Brazilian Keratin Treatment video and lots of questions.

I don't show my face in my videos. I'm not comfortable with people I might know being all up in my bathroom although I do like to share information about hair care and sometimes random other things (adding emergency contacts for a locked cell phone). Not to mention, it's a hair channel so as long as I don't hide my hair, I don't see the problem.

You should upload it. Nobody is forced to watch videos. If they have a problem with it, they can hit the X. People will always post negative comments. That comes with the territory of exposing yourself.

Last edited:

bhndbrwneyes

OP, I'm the same way...I was a video production major in college and I notice a lot of the videos we see could use some added "production value" to say the least. But my gripe is not with the quality of the video and cheese effects/music but more in the women's presentation and seemingly narcissistic attitude.

I hate when they try to impress people with any aspect other than their hair like wearing their best outfits or doing their makeup to the T when supposedly they just rolled out of bed to record the video (sorry I just ranted about this in the Random Thoughts thread lol). So for me, and maybe you're this way too, we realize that most of these videos are not even about educating other women but solely to become popular YouTube "sensations" and their number of subscribers.

And it's sad when some women don't even know what they're talking about and are just documenting the ways in which they damage their hair (like when they comb through it like a ragdoll). I much prefer to share my experiences and knowledge, if you want to call it that, with close family and friends and then go to bloggers or vloggers that have proven results and no added "fluff" to get inspiration from.

greenandchic

There was one that wore a mask in her videos to hide her face. :look::spinning:

Holla

I think it's weird too. A person's face shape can add to the video and make me want to do the same style if we have similar bone structure, facial shape, etc. That way, I'll know if the complete look will look good on me too.

I once saw a video where someone did everything from behind. I was ....SMH...for the first 2 minutes before I closed it. I care what the back of my head looks like but not THAT much. I wasn't even looking at her hair at one point but at the cluttered background where stuff was all over the place. It was awful.

Holla

krissyhair, I may be of the minority but I care about quality in addition to content.

I agree with this too. Video bloggers have come a long way with making videos. I am really impressed by some videos. To put up a lousy video today is practically unforgivable. Some people have the worst lighting, audio, delay time, etc. and it's like they don't care. I try to avoid those but sometimes it can't be helped. So I give those videos a thumbs down since I do not want them thinking that I wanted to view something so poor in quality when they could have made a better video or not put one out at all. We all know what others are putting out there. In terms of quality and a poor quality video stands out. :yep:

Holla

Holla are they just doing a bun like this Southern Tease bun by Mane and Chic?

I saw that video awhile back. Well over a year ago. I can't remember what they were doing other than rubbing products in their hair and trying to do something. It's telling when someone remembers that the video was awful such that one forgot the actual content. I also didn't watch it to the end so they could have done a bun. :ohwell:

LaurenMechelle

I agree with this too. Video bloggers have come a long way with making videos. I am really impressed by some videos. To put up a lousy video today is practically unforgivable. Some people have the worst lighting, audio, delay time, etc. and it's like they don't care. I try to avoid those but sometimes it can't be helped. So I give those videos a thumbs down since I do not want them thinking that I wanted to view something so poor in quality when they could have made a better video or not put one out at all. We all know what others are putting out there. In terms of quality and a poor quality video stands out. :yep:
I totally agree with this. Quality is number one for me... I hate seeing videos where the person doesn't have decent lighting etc... I know everyone doesn't have the money to buy top-quality equipment, but little things like lighting make a HUGE difference!

OP, I'm the same way...I was a video production major in college and I notice a lot of the videos we see could use some added "production value" to say the least. But my gripe is not with the quality of the video and cheese effects/music but more in the women's presentation and seemingly narcissistic attitude.

I hate when they try to impress people with any aspect other than their hair like wearing their best outfits or doing their makeup to the T when supposedly they just rolled out of bed to record the video (sorry I just ranted about this in the Random Thoughts thread lol). So for me, and maybe you're this way too, we realize that most of these videos are not even about educating other women but solely to become popular YouTube "sensations" and their number of subscribers.

And it's sad when some women don't even know what they're talking about and are just documenting the ways in which they damage their hair (like when they comb through it like a ragdoll). I much prefer to share my experiences and knowledge, if you want to call it that, with close family and friends and then go to bloggers or vloggers that have proven results and no added "fluff" to get inspiration from.
I understand what you mean, but disagree... That video will live online for a long time, and I wouldn't want all those people to see me in my "just rolled out of bed" state. I know you're probably referring to girls that go ALL OUT with makeup etc, but I also see their point of view - they want to put their best face forward, and I don't think they should be faulted for that!

Guinan

Re-Branding

THIS!! Sums it all up PERFECTLY! I mentioned something about a utuber that posted here, just suggesting that she maybe have cue cards b/c the video was literally all over the place. It took her 5min to talk about a 30 sec style. The 1st 3min was mindless gibber.