Sistas with Strands Campaign -- pictures/videos needed

Ediese

For those of you that are not aware, a few LHCF members have joined forces and formed, Sistas with Strands (SWS). SWS is a campaign to help change the perception of how people view black women and their hair. :yep: We're also trying to promote black owned businesses. (if you haven't already, join our facebook group...link is in my siggy)

We are currently recruiting women that have healthy, APL and longer hair to participate in our Sistas with Strands campaign. We're asking that you sign a consent form for us to use your photos/videos.

We're compiling a video that will include pictures of women with long hair (before/after shots if available). We're also looking for women that are interested in sharing video testimonials. Videos will be 2 minutes in length, and will cover the following questions:
Questions (NOTE: we will only include members without outlandish regimens)
  • What is your hair care regimen?
  • What does your hair mean to you?
  • How do you feel when you hear people commenting that black women can’t have long hair?
  • Are you natural, relaxed, or transitioning?
  • What's your ultimate hair goal and how long have you been growing your hair? (Please provide pics)
Reminder: we MUST receive a signed release prior to using any pictures or videos. We're planning on using the video and letters from our campaign any and everywhere, so that we could possibly get on Tyra, Wendy Williams, etc. :)

Please send us an email at [email protected] if you're interested in participating so we could send you the release. Ya'll have been complaining about our negative portrayal in the media, so why not volunteer your pics to show people otherwise?!:yep::yep:

Oh yeah...if anyone is interested in joining the group, we have meetings every Wednesday at 6p CST in the chatroom.

ETA: I'm posting answer to questions here. Anyone can join even though you're not able to attend the meeting. I'd suggest that you join the facebook group first. I post all of our discusions/meeting minutes for members that aren't able to attend the meeting on the discussion board of our facebook group. Let me know which team you're interested in joining (letter writing/video production).

We're all collaborating on a logo for the group. Mwdezi had a great idea in the other thread of creating a website, so that's another project.

If you're APL and natural, you could submit shots of your BAA or wash n go. We want natural, relaxed, etc. I'm natural and I'm submitting different shots (straight and natural). I think it's best that we have some diversity.

We're welcoming any and everyone in our group. We need all the help and support that we can get.

For purposes of the campaign, we're only asking that people that are APL or longer submit pictures and/or videos.

Last edited:

knt1229

I thought anybody could join. But in order to submit pics and videos you had to be APL or longer. :perplexed

Correct me if I am wrong OP.

I joined and only my longest layers are APL but most of my layered hair is not APL yet. :blush:

I don't plan to submit any pics or videos. I just wanted to show my support by joining.

Ediese

I thought anybody could join. But in order to submit pics and videos you had to be APL or longer. :perplexed

Correct me if I am wrong OP.

I joined and only my longest layers are APL but most of my layered hair is not APL yet. :blush:

I don't plan to submit any pics or videos. I just wanted to show my support by joining.

You're absolutely correct! We're welcoming any and everyone in our group. :yep::yep::yep: We need all the help and support that we can get.

For purposes of the campaign, we're only asking that people that are APL or longer submit pictures and/or videos.

LunadeMiel

You're absolutely correct! We're welcoming any and everyone in our group. :yep::yep::yep: We need all the help and support that we can get.

What about naturals whose hair isn't APL unstreched? Would we need to send straight shots?

Ediese

What about naturals whose hair isn't APL unstreched? Would we need to send straight shots?

Nope. If you're APL and natural, you could submit shots of your BAA or wash n go. We want natural, relaxed, etc. I'm natural and I'm submitting different shots (straight and natural). I think it's best that we have some diversity.

that_1_grrrl

This is so exciting. I am going to contribute as much as I can! If you need help with the website, I can do that for sure. I may be able to help with video editing depending on what the needs will be and whether or not the community college I am at right now has Final Cut Pro (only one I've used so far). I believe it does. I will keep you posted.

lux10023

great idea----my 2 cents maybe they can add a SWS signature hairstyle--that displays all hair on head is real as in growing from scalp

like a center part all the way down as in two ponytails or some signature style--showing the scalp--good luck

great idea!!!!!

chris rock got the world thinkin all blk women are bald

mscocoface

I am interested, but I have to admit I am no fan of facebook or anyone elses book, twitter, map etc.

I will be more than happy to contribute to chat and a website though.

MRJ1972

Great idea!!!

But I can't join since I recently cut all my damaged ends off and I am SL :perplexed

Oh, well....I totally support the group, and hopefully by the time I reach APL, I can join you guys on your appeareance on Oprah! :look:...LOL!

Natural Glow

This is a really good idea. I wish I had better "before" pics. Do you guys want shots from the front,back or either?

Fhrizzball

For the SWS logo if you could include the squiggly S to be used for both Sista and strands at the same time that would possible balance it out more. This is a great idea though so I will be checking it out for sure.

Ediese

This is so exciting. I am going to contribute as much as I can! If you need help with the website, I can do that for sure. I may be able to help with video editing depending on what the needs will be and whether or not the community college I am at right now has Final Cut Pro (only one I've used so far). I believe it does. I will keep you posted.

Thanks so much! I think we'll definitely need help with the website. I'm trying to think if we should create an actual website or a social networking site ie Ning. If we used Ning, we could move away from facebook and still allow members to post pics/videos. I'd love to have a business directory on whichever site. Let me know your thoughts on that. Thanks!

This is awesome Ediese! What about transitioning heads? I might be able to join in December.

Thanks! Everyone is welcome to join the group! We're just looking for long hair for the actual pictures/video.

great idea----my 2 cents maybe they can add a SWS signature hairstyle--that displays all hair on head is real as in growing from scalp

like a center part all the way down as in two ponytails or some signature style--showing the scalp--good luck

great idea!!!!!

chris rock got the world thinkin all blk women are bald

Thanks so much for this! I was just thinking that some people might still think some of the hair they see is fake. lol So, we definitely need pics 'proving' that it's all real. I have to make note of that.

I am interested, but I have to admit I am no fan of facebook or anyone elses book, twitter, map etc.

I will be more than happy to contribute to chat and a website though.

Thanks! We'd love to have you in the group. I'm in the process of figuring out if we could move towards a website, and how we'd go about uploading videos, comments, and have a business directory. We might move away from facebook, and use Ning instead.

I like this idea too. I'm not APL (YET) but would like to join and support.

You don't have to be APL to join. You can join now!! We're just accepting pics of APL or longer for the video.

Great idea!!!

But I can't join since I recently cut all my damaged ends off and I am SL :perplexed

Oh, well....I totally support the group, and hopefully by the time I reach APL, I can join you guys on your appeareance on Oprah! :look:...LOL!

Girl!! You can still join!!

I wish I could join yall but I still think it's a great idea.

Off to look at the facebook group.

Please do go ahead and join! :)

I'm in!!

I had already joined the fb group

Thanks for joining Isis! I hope you'll allow us to use your pics! If you're interested, send me an email so I can forward the release form. ([email protected] )

This is a really good idea. I wish I had better "before" pics. Do you guys want shots from the front,back or either?

I think front, back, and pics showing your scalp so ppl won't think we're faking. lol Thanks so much!! :)

For the SWS logo if you could include the squiggly S to be used for both Sista and strands at the same time that would possible balance it out more. This is a great idea though so I will be checking it out for sure.

We haven't finalized the logo yet. We're all collaborating on it. I just did that as a placeholder because I'm not that creative. lol If anyone has any design ideas for the logo, please do share!! :yep:

Last edited:

DivaD04

shorty over here bumping for ladies who meet the requirements plus i want to see what y'all come up with for inspiration

Tayw29

I joined the facebook group and sent an email. Good luck and I wish you guys great success. If I can help in anyway let me know.

Nappy_in_the_City

I think this is an interesting idea but who else is doing something similar to this? :look:APL natural sisters, call me negative but isn't this discrimination? What about natural sister who aren't striving to get long hair just to prove society wrong. Do you think this campaign is perpetuating the idea that only longer, curly natural hair is "most acceptable" and those with a TWA or a big chop style or some one that has neck length hair or locks don't receive any attention for their styles....
hhmmm I don't know. If it were me, if I do a campaign calling attention to the perception of black hair... you should include every hair texture, every hair length, every hair style, every hair color:yep::yep:. Just my opinion...

Amerie123

I'm going to join the fb group as soon as i get home. and while I'm a little sad that I cant submit pics and/or vids as i'm not APL yet :sad:, it's cool. i will use this as a positive motivation to continue to reach my goals.

Amerie123

I think this is an interesting idea but who else is doing something similar to this? :look:APL natural sisters, call me negative but isn't this discrimination? What about natural sister who aren't striving to get long hair just to prove society wrong. Do you think this campaign is perpetuating the idea that only longer, curly natural hair is "most acceptable" and those with a TWA or a big chop style or some one that has neck length hair or locks don't receive any attention for their styles....
hhmmm I don't know. If it were me, if I do a campaign calling attention to the perception of black hair... you should include every hair texture, every hair length, every hair style, every hair color:yep::yep:. Just my opinion...

I completely agree :yep:. however, i think the point for this is strictly that BW can grow long hair in general. I dunno.