Why the Big Chop

mohair

Hi Ladies,

Just curious to know why people do the BC. I have considered going natural but the thought of cutting all my hair really scares me. What is the benefit of doing the BC? Could you just let all the perm grow out? Please enlighten!!

From what I've been reading here and on other boards is that it is just easier to deal with just the one hair texture instead of two. By holding on to the relaxed hair, you risk damage from split ends and breakage. Although it can be done, it is just more complicated. I am considering going natural myself and I won't BC. I plan to wear braids and various protective styles and just cut it gradually.

Last edited:
Girl yes you can let the perm grow out. Lots of people just cut a little every month or every other month or so until they don't have any relaxed hair left. I think some don't cut very much at all to keep their length and once the natural hair is long enough they will then chop. The big chop is beneficial if you don't want to deal with the two textures which for some of us can be a little stressful. Please do a search on transitioning for ideas. Good luck. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions:).

hopeful said:
Girl yes you can let the perm grow out. Lots of people just cut a little every month or every other month or so until they don't have any relaxed hair left. I think some don't cut very much at all to keep their length and once the natural hair is long enough they will then chop. The big chop is beneficial if you don't want to deal with the two textures which for some of us can be a little stressful. Please do a search on transitioning for ideas. Good luck. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions:).

That's what I plan on doing :)

I personally did the big chop for a few reasons. 1) I wanted natural hair and natural hair only and I KNEW I wasn't going to be relaxing the new growth I'd accumulated so why keep it?. 2) The two different textures were fighting with each other and causing breakage. 3) I didn't like the idea of having to have my hair braided up or twisted up all the time just to conceal the difference in the textures. I felt like I couldn't even enjoy my hair b/c of the constant twisting/braiding. Plus, I didn't want the temptation of relaxing my hair at a moment of weakness b/c I knew that i'd regret it.

Breakage could be a big problem, especially when you go to wear your hair out and the natural part is thick, whereas the relaxed/texturized part is a great deal thinner, so when you wear your hair out, it just doesn't look right. In addition, it is hard to comb your hair and not cause damage if the roots are super thick and the ends are not as thick.

Although my hair was texturized, I got tired of looking at it because it looked so thin and sickly compared to my dark and thick new growth. From comparing the textures, I really could see what chemicals had done to my hair. Even though I always assumed my texturized looked a lot like my natural hair, seeing both textures together, I could see that a change had taken place with my hair.

I wanted a clean, fresh start.

I didn't wantt to have to mess with all the product I would need to maintain 2 textures. I was going for simplicity and a more natural hair care routine.

The Big Chop was the best way for me.

~~~

sunnyjohn said:
I wanted a clean, fresh start.

I didn't wantt to have to mess with all the product I would need to maintain 2 textures. I was going for simplicity and a more natural hair care routine.

The Big Chop was the best way for me.

~~~

This is the exact same reason why I did the BC. :up:

I did my own research and found out what was in relaxers!! :shocked: From that moment on I transitioned and eventually did the BC. I had been permed all my life. My family made their jokes about my hair being short and what not, but once they saw the grow they were amazed.:shocked: And yes, I have discovered faster growth since I became natural. :grin:

Last edited:
I didn't have the Pateince to transition & plus I wanted to be natural right away, But it is a personal preference as to how you want to do it. The Big Chop gave me time to Learn my hair from scratch and as it grows It surprises me everyday with something LOL!!!!!!

I don't care about being Bald Headed or what others think or say LOL!!!!! That makes me different.

NappyParadise said:
I didn't have the Pateince to transition & plus I wanted to be natural right away, But it is a personal preference as to how you want to do it. The Big Chop gave me time to Learn my hair from scratch and as it grows It surprises me everyday with something LOL!!!!!!

I don't care about being Bald Headed or what others think or say LOL!!!!! That makes me different.

Oh yeah, I forgot about patience. I chopped after 5 months when I'd originally plannd to transition for over a year. I relaxed b/c I was being pressured by my bf but when I go natural again, I'm just going to shave my head bald. I think i will like it better than having to rely on my stylist to give me styles to conceal the two different textures.

Hmmm I knew that the longer I transitioned the more I would want to relax the new growth...I have this thing for uniformity and those two textures would have bothered me, so I chopped. Secondly my hair grows at a fairly good rate, and lastly the ease of a twa :yep:

I was worried about the temptation to relax the new growth. I transitioned for a month and day by day I was getting more excited at the prospect of a twistout fro. But knowing it was gonna be atleast 8 months before I had a decent one would have been disheartening if I kept the relaxed ends and I might have given into the temptation and impatience.

Mostly tho, it was because the relaxed hair kinda disgusted me. I hated looking at it, it was just too shiny and not at all NATURAL. I'm not even a naPPtural (like having natural hair for me has nothing to do with empowerment or being a slave to relaxers of whatever) but the limp relaxed hair compared to my thick new growth was just depressing. IT HAD TO GO!

Boy was I worried, but I had faith for the most part that i'd look good with TWA ... and I do - well most days lol

Thanks for all the responses ladies. I really appreciate all the info. I am so lazy when it comes to hair so dealing with one texture will be a must. The next time a get drunk I will make sure I have some scissors near by. :lol:

Back