Wig 2009 Challengers- Wig = thinner or finer hair

flower

I was told that wearing wigs will cause your hair to be thinner and/ or finer. Is this a myth? I wear my wig for 8-10 hrs a day and baggie underneath.

Side question, how often do you clarify?

msa

If you wear wigs and don't take care of your hair underneath, then your hair would probably become thinner from breakage and the friction of the wig on your hair. Also, if your edges aren't well protected a wig will rub them right out.

I don't clarify because I don't use anything that causes buildup on my hair.

Iluvsmuhgrass

My grass has actually gotten thicker and healthier. The key is to get a good fit without it being too tight. If you have a wig that is too tight it will cause friction and MURDER your hairline. Without protecting your hair under the wig, I can see it drying and becoming damaged. I just moisturize and seal then use a regular wig cap. So far it's working pretty well. :yep:

Nice Lady

With wearing a wig, you must make sure to moisturize and seal a bit more. I use a durag cap under the wig instead of the wig cap because I found my hair to be dried out with the wig cap. I make sure that I moisturize and seal prior to adding the wig and after taking it off. I especially pay attention to those edges especially after removal. It is a matter of listening to your hair and protecting a invested interest.