WIG CAPS AND BREAKAGE! HMPH...

Aireen

GAAAH! Okay, I'm going to rant before I ask my question so here goes... :rolleyes:

So my hairline and nape in the past weren't great until I started to cover/wrap my hair at night with my net and making sure to condition those areas carefully. When I discovered protein (mmm protein :lick:), my hairline and nape started to retain quite a bit of length. I was seeing GREAT progress, especially since those areas were always weak.

When I saw a guru I admire on YouTube using her wig caps to keep her wrap securely in place at night, I rushed to do it too. I could always hear my hair snapping when I would put it on or take it off but stupid me ignored that because using that method gave me a SUPER sleek style in the morning. :rolleyes:

WELL NOW I HAVE REVERSED MY PROGRESS!
:wallbash: Not completely but I took 4 steps forward and 2 back. :ohwell: I should have listened when my poor hair was snapping and crackling while putting the wig cap on and taking it off. I am trying to get REALLY serious with my hair since I want to reach WL as soon as possible. I am back to wrapping with my net but I use clips to hold my hair in place but that leaves dents in the morning. :rolleyes:

So does anyone know if there are satin wig caps on the internet or clips that do not leave dents? Any tips you can provide for caring for my edges? Also, my hairline is a little rough now. I'm thinking of buying a glycerin-based moisturizer like S-Curl to put on the edges to keep them moisturized a few nights before washing. Will this help?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

-Aireen

Last edited:

Aireen

Oh I didn't really know how to fit this in the post and it's going to sound silly but I was talking to my friend about buying S-Curl because of the whole edges problem and she told me S-Curl isn't a moisturizer it's a chemical to alter the texture of your hair? :perplexed Kind of like a relaxer but to produce curls. I always thought that it was just a moisturizer to use after you get a Jheri Curl to keep the curls moisturized and defined... :ohwell:
I've seen it before and it looks like a spray moisturizer type thing so if it indeed is some kind of altering hair chemical that's an odd way to package it. Plus I wouldn't want to buy this for my hair to put on top of my relaxer. :ohwell:
I checked out AdoraAdora24's challenge thread and it seems to be a moisturizer like I thought.

ANYWAY CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME TOO? THANKS. :grin:

Last edited:

Opey

Oh I didn't really know how to fit this in the post and it's going to sound silly but I was talking to my friend about buying S-Curl because of the whole edges problem and she told me S-Curl isn't a moisturizer it's a chemical to alter the texture of your hair? :perplexed Kind of like a relaxer but to produce curls. I always thought that it was just a moisturizer to use after you get a Jheri Curl to keep the curls moisturized and defined... :ohwell:
I've seen it before and it looks like a spray moisturizer type thing so if it indeed is some kind of altering hair chemical that's an odd way to package it. Plus I wouldn't want to buy this for my hair to put on top of my relaxer. :ohwell:
I checked out AdoraAdora24's challenge thread and it seems to be a moisturizer like I thought.

ANYWAY CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME TOO? THANKS. :grin:
S curl is a texturizer, you want to S curl no drip spray :)

kblc06

I find that braid spray (African Royale) is a great moisturizer for my edges while wearing wigs. I also use a men's skull cap, found in any BSS, to cover my hair rather than wig caps. They offer a slightly looser fit and are much more gentle on your hairline. The progress I've made in my siggy is due to wearing wigs (in a healthy manner of course).

GAAAH! Okay, I'm going to rant before I ask my question so here goes... :rolleyes:

So my hairline and nape in the past weren't great until I started to cover/wrap my hair at night with my net and making sure to condition those areas carefully. When I discovered protein (mmm protein :lick:), my hairline and nape started to retain quite a bit of length. I was seeing GREAT progress, especially since those areas were always weak.

When I saw a guru I admire on YouTube using her wig caps to keep her wrap securely in place at night, I rushed to do it too. I could always hear my hair snapping when I would put it on or take it off but stupid me ignored that because using that method gave me a SUPER sleek style in the morning. :rolleyes:

WELL NOW I HAVE REVERSED MY PROGRESS!
:wallbash: Not completely but I took 4 steps forward and 2 back. :ohwell: I should have listened when my poor hair was snapping and crackling while putting the wig cap on and taking it off. I am trying to get REALLY serious with my hair since I want to reach WL as soon as possible. I am back to wrapping with my net but I use clips to hold my hair in place but that leaves dents in the morning. :rolleyes:

So does anyone know if there are satin wig caps on the internet or clips that do not leave dents? Any tips you can provide for caring for my edges? Also, my hairline is a little rough now. I'm thinking of buying a glycerin-based moisturizer like S-Curl to put on the edges to keep them moisturized a few nights before washing. Will this help?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

-Aireen

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I use a du-rag under wigs or a large stocking cap, virtually no tension. The S-curl spray I think your're referring to looks like this:

It's a moisturizer, doesn't chemically alter your hair at all, don't let the word activator scare you. It's good stuff :yep:

mzsophisticated26

I rarely wear a wig cap underneath my wigs, If I do I found one from the BSS that has olive oil in it and it does not have tension like the regular wig caps. I don't put it on my edges just slightly behind my ears because I wear half wigs. I also apply conditioner and neosporin on my nape when I go to bed because I had started getting some breakage in my nape from wearing bobby pins. Co-sign on the S-curl I spray that on my hair.

Iluvsmuhgrass

If the wigs large enough, rock a men's wave cap or the do-rags that tie. :yep: Be weary of anything that pulls at your hairline. :look:

And S-curl spray is a moisturizer. You can experiment with other sprays too.

BeaLady

My hairline was thinning from the mesh of the lace front. I cut down the mesh and started applying castor oil to my hairline. It helped my hairline fill in nicely. I also don't wear a wig cap. Sometimes I will wear a baggy under my wig.

taz007

I rarely wear a wig cap underneath my wigs, If I do I found one from the BSS that has olive oil in it and it does not have tension like the regular wig caps. I don't put it on my edges just slightly behind my ears because I wear half wigs. I also apply conditioner and neosporin on my nape when I go to bed because I had started getting some breakage in my nape from wearing bobby pins. Co-sign on the S-curl I spray that on my hair.

^^ Oh? A wig cap that has olive oil in it? Will you tell me the name of it?

Aireen

I find that braid spray (African Royale) is a great moisturizer for my edges while wearing wigs. I also use a men's skull cap, found in any BSS, to cover my hair rather than wig caps. They offer a slightly looser fit and are much more gentle on your hairline. The progress I've made in my siggy is due to wearing wigs (in a healthy manner of course).

Thank you, I will make a note of this. :yep:

S curl is a texturizer, you want to S curl no drip spray :)

I use a du-rag under wigs or a large stocking cap, virtually no tension. The S-curl spray I think your're referring to looks like this:

It's a moisturizer, doesn't chemically alter your hair at all, don't let the word activator scare you. It's good stuff :yep:

If the wigs large enough, rock a men's wave cap or the do-rags that tie. :yep: Be weary of anything that pulls at your hairline. :look:

Oh good, thanks! I thought it was a moisturizer too... I hate when friends try to confuse me. :rolleyes:

ETA: Thanks for the do-rag tip. :)

Last edited:

Aireen

Whoa, a wig cap with olive oil built in? That's really interesting... Please tell us the name. :)

I don't wear wigs, I just use the wig cap after I wrap my hair to secure my wrap, sleep with it and then wake up, take it off, comb my hair out and go about my day.
Thank you though, the do-rags sound like a good replacement. :yep:

My hairline was thinning from the mesh of the lace front. I cut down the mesh and started applying castor oil to my hairline. It helped my hairline fill in nicely. I also don't wear a wig cap. Sometimes I will wear a baggy under my wig.

Castor Oil! Why didn't I think of that?!

kblc06

Whoa, a wig cap with olive oil built in? That's really interesting... Please tell us the name. :)

I don't wear wigs, I just use the wig cap after I wrap my hair to secure my wrap, sleep with it and then wake up, take it off, comb my hair out and go about my day.
Thank you though, the do-rags sound like a good replacement. :yep:

Castor Oil! Why didn't I think of that?!

Have you tried just tying your hair up with a silk or satin scarf? My wraps turn out just fine using them. Many do-rags are made of polyester and could potentially dry your hair out

Aireen

Have you tried just tying your hair up with a silk or satin scarf? My wraps turn out just fine using them. Many do-rags are made of polyester and could potentially dry your hair out

At home I have a really cute satin scarf. :grin: It slips like butter within an hour of sleeping. I wake up at night finding it off and having to re-tie it or that I'm too sleepy to even bother with my hair by then. :look:

ETA: How do you keep your scarves in place? :(

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I suggest using the scurl moisturiZer and then applying some light oil over it to seal in the moisture.

I just use two scarves at night. That seems to work for me.

Also use a satin pillowcase as back up if all else fails.

Aireen

Thanks everyone for your detailed advice! I'll take notes and combine all the points to fit with my routine. :yep:
Thanks again! :grin: