Votes: 23 33.3%
  • Synthetic Hair Wig

Votes: 30 43.5%
  • Depends

Votes: 16 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

v2.0

I prefer synthetics because they can be tossed when they become unmanageable. The cost is usually $25.00 or less so I do not mind tossing them away. I have a few human hair wigs which I rarely wore; I feel uncomfortable wearing them, always conscious of them on my head-a bit spooky to wear them.

How come?...

v2.0

Im sporting Freetress Bali Girl right now and its synthetic and I know its days are numbered but I love it ( cost :27 color 1b)!!!!! but I do want to find a human hair wig so i can curl, braid out and do whatever I like to have more versatility to wear...but its kind of hard finding one in the BSS caus eI wanna try it on before I buy it...Oh well going wig shopping Saturday for either human or synthetic!! Oh and I plan on sewing in a black silk liner!! I wanna keep my edges and keep my hair moist!!!

I have that exact same wig in a 4! I love it! It's a bit too long, so I plan on having it cut.

Lady S

Team Polyester!! I love my synthetic wigs. I have a short one that people mistake for real. Of course, these people aren't the ones that know me and see me change wigs every two seconds.

One of the things I like about wigs is not having to do anything with them, so I'm not interested in flat ironing or curling anything.

The cost can't be beat.

YankeeCandle

^^^^^ Pretty much everything LadySpeedstick said.

It takes me a long time to install a half-wig as it is (because I am uncoordinated in general and especially when it comes to hair). Plus, even on my own hair, I very rarely do anything to style it other than wash-and-go. So why would I turn around and expend labor on styling someone else's hair and then install it on top of mine?

Nope, I LURV my synthetic half-wigs. If they didn't put too much stress on my hereditarily thinning crown, I'd wear them all the time.

one tip: my new Denman brush (the wide-toothed one, either number 31 or 41) is a whiz at brushing wavy synthetic hair and keeping its shape/pattern.

naturalmanenyc

I have about 10 wigs (some half & some full). I have 1 human hair wig but I prefer synthetic because I do not want to spend the time caring for human hair wigs. I love that I can just toss the synthetic wig on the stand and be done with it. I also do not have to worry about the weather when wearing a synthetic wig:grin:

I have had some of my wigs for 16 months but don't usually wear a wig for more than 1 week at a time before rotating them. I could probably wear a synthetic wig every day for 3 months before having to trash it.

I have to disagree that with a synthetic wig one is limited to the style of the wig. Most wigs now can be heat styled and 99% of people cut their wigs to fit their face.

This youtuber worked BJ's Pearl wig (curled with a flat iron).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR0dJAIBzdE

This youtuber added curls to an LHB wig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbTfsyq4ieo

My favorites right now are:
Anna by Pazazz

and Aisha by Outre

pics are in my fotki album

Last edited:

*Frisky*

Depends in the wig and how long you plan to wear it. For something quick and fun I usually buy synthetic. But for classic styles I plan to keep in my arsenal to wear occassionally I typically buy human.

Synthetics tend to hold their style longer. If it rains, gets wet, humidity, etc. The curls won't fall. They're also inexpensive. You can find a decent synthetic for about $20.00. But whatever style the wig is initially set in is the way it will stay. They have a tendency to look shiny so make sure you try it on in the store to see how you like it.

Humans behave like real human hair. You can curl, wrap, wash, style, etc. But if you get it wet, go out in the rain, etc. the curls will fall, With human hair you may have to flat iron, curl, bump, etc. for the wig to maintain it's original style. And sometimes after you wash it, it may never look the same again.

Human doesn't neccessarily last longer than synthetic. It depends how often you plan to wear the wig. HH wigs also shed which will cause the wig to thin out over time. Once it thins out, it may not look good anymore. The quality of the human hair on these wigs usually isn't that great either so it may begin to look ratty after a few washes or after wearing it for an extended period of time.

Also human wigs are usually priced by the length. If you are looking for a wig past say shoulder length expect to spend probably at least $75 for a full wig. A half wig may be a little cheaper.

Very good points...I have mostly synthetic ones with a few human hair ones. I have lace fronts, half and full wigs and I prefer my synthetics. Depending on the brand, there isn't as much human hair used to make the wig as synthetic wigs which could cause the wig to look thin in places but yet, you are paying more for it. I have one human hair half wig that just doesn't seem to hold a curl that long. Some of these syntheic wigs can be curled too and some of these lace front wigs are being made with some new type of sythetic hair that is really nice and preferred over human hair. I have yet to throw out any of my synthetics because they still look good and I have had them at least 3 or 4 months, some of them longer than that so in a nutshell, human hair wigs can be overhyped in my opinion.

nomoweavesfome

synthetic cause most of the bs human wigs are made from poor quality hair thinking about letting my stylist make me 2 from halleys hair: one straight and the other curly or wavy.

I disagree with this statement about bss hh wigs being poor quality. The only way you cheat yourself getting a human hair wig is if it's not 100% human hair. (that mix synthetic /human blend).

If you check my album http://www.longhaircareforum.com/album.php?albumid=2215 (make your wigs look real) all of these wigs (except one lace front)are from bss and I as well as confirmation from others have been convincing and believable.

Last edited:

Smiley79

My vote is for synthetic...they are affordable and stylish and get the job done. With a little TLC you can keep them for some time and they feel so light and airy. I love them!!!

WorkInProgress88

.im currently rocking a synthetic half wig and my friends couldn't believe that it was synthetic....it was cheap, didn't have that glossy shine, and the curls hold

Lovestyr

I like to consider myself quite educated in wig wearing lol....I wear synthetic hair majority of the time. I also wear lace front wigs and full lace wigs. THEY ALL TANGLE. So, there is no difference in which you choose to buy. However, the human lace wigs do have an edge of being able to alter the look with heat. Some ppl includng myself can spend 80.00 on a lace front wig when you acheive the same look with a 30.00 synthetic wig. I wear both so just my opinion. I wear wigs on a daily basis so just my input. I think someone commented that they had a wig for yrs or months....Please tell me what brand that was that lasted that long....lol

I wear Sensational, Freetress, Motown tress, red carpet, Vanessa, and Ecstatsy and have tried Remy and Milky way wigs and all of them tangle eventually, So please inform me of the perfect wig...lol

mezzogirl

It depends on the type of human hair. If it's the kind most of us buy where it wasn't one strand, but many strands glued together, it won't last long. They take little pieces of several Indian women's dead hair that came out of their combs and brushes, process them and coat them with silicones. They're shiny when they're new, then once the coating comes off they look rough and tangle because the cuticles are NOT facing the same direction.

If it's the more expensive kind, where it was a woman who grew her hair down to her butt and then they cut it (Remy), that'll last way longer.

So in my case if I can't afford Remy (which is at this stage in my life) I just buy synthetic coz it lasts me much longer. I do the same with braids too; Kanekalon looks better on me after 2 months than un-Remy hair.

I agree with the highlighted. I have bought human hair wigs that lost their shape and looked bad after one washing. A few months ago, I bought a Remy Yacky human-hair wig. It looks as good today as the first day I bought it and I wear it every single day. It is more work because I have to treat it like my hair but I get compliments weekly.

Tiye

Other. I like protein hair. Synthetic hair tangles too fast. I know all hair tangles but I get annoyed when I pay for something that's done for after just two or three wears. Good quality human hair (virgin, remy, cuticle blah, blah) can look very nice but it still feels like eating chicken - i.e., it only feels good if you don't think about the processing part.