Wigs & Edges!!! Beware!!

fivetimestwo

Great tips! I wear wigs for most of the winter and I follow most of these suggestions, especially not using the combs. I find that if the little bungee cords in the back (for lack of a better term :lachen:) are tight enough, my wigs are pretty secure.

cmw45

Anyone else have additional tips or regimens:?

I have been wearing my full wig (from the BSS...lurve her) for a month now and I haven't noticed any damage to my hairline. I currently wear a brown satin bonnet underneath that matches the color of my scalp; not that it's important since it's a big curly wig. Underneath the bonnet my blow dried hair is braided up. I was co-washing/detangling once a week and reabraiding but after reading this thread I need to come up with some type of daily moisture routine.

Last edited:

Charla

I wanted to find a way to protect my hair and edges when wearing whole wigs and phony ponies. I usually wear half wigs which I always wear a satin bonnet under. This time I bought a short wig (because it's hot!), but it's a full wig, and I didn't want it to wreck havoc on my edges or my nape, especially since my nape is very fine compared to the rest of my hair. I still wear a satin bonnet under it to protect the rest of my hair from the wig's netting. This whole wig is human hair Sensationnel Bump Wig. Style Fab Fringe. Color Champagne. The pony is the one in my profile pic.
For the phony pony, I hate the way the netting is sitting on my hair when I have to draw it in. The netting is just so rough. So here's what I did.

1. Cut out all combs from wigs and ponies. My pony is attached with hair pins. My half wig fits snug and I secure it with a stretchie headband. My full wigs fit snug so I don't need combs in those either.
2. Used an old slip (the kind you wear under dresses). I chose one that was really silky smooth and I knew my hair wouldn't get caught in.
3. Cut the pieces to size for whole wig and sewed slip to front edge (sew all the way to cover ear tabs) and back edge (still have access to expansion straps). For the pony, I expanded the pony as wide as it could go and sewed a circular piece of slip material to completely cover the netting. If I were really thinking, I would have completely covered the edging of the netting on the half wig. But I'm not too worried about it because I rarely wear the pony.

Attachments

• wig 1 raw comic.jpg
    wig 1 raw comic.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 51
  • wig finished 2.jpg
    wig finished 2.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 53
  • half wig 3.jpg
    half wig 3.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 50

happycakes

If the lace front wigs are taking your edges out try the following:

half wig supported by bobbie pins
crochet wigs
ditch the wig and wear large braids for a month and repeat until desired growth is achieved

Bumping for more idea.