Will it ever get straight.Please help me help myself

phyl73

I am currently transitioning from perm to natural(check out my fokti). I finally found something to soften my new growth, but I tried to flat iron it the other day and while it was straighter than it was without the flat iron, it was not as straight as when I had a perm. Is there a way I can get it that straight again without damaging my hair. Please help me help myself.

kiesha8185

I guess I can't really be of much help as I am not transitioning. But I did stretch for a little over 7 months, so I did have to deal with straightening my new growth for Thanksgiving.

I tried to straighten my new growth once with Garnier Hairspray (I applied my leave-ins, airdried, then applied the hairspray to the roots only). I got the idea from Gymfreak. I'll bump the thread up for you. Although this technique did make my hair relatively straight, I think the hairspray made my hair hard and sticky, making it difficult for the maxiglide to pass through.

I would suggest using some type of serum (in place of the hairspray) on the new growth (not oil!) to help your new growth get straight.

Also, I'm not too sure what your texture is, but it may be difficult to make your look hair "relaxer straight", especially if you have a lot of new growth. My roots were as straight as it can get, but my hair didn't look relaxed :ohwell: My hair doesn't even look relaxed one months post-relaxer :lachen:

I HTH, and hopefully someone who has more experience straightening natural hair and maintaining straightened natural hair can help you. Good luck on your transition!

ClassicBeauty

I transitioned for years. I rollerset and then flat-ironed it. Now that I'm natural, I still do the same thing. I explain it all in my journal.

longhairlover

I am currently transitioning from perm to natural(check out my fokti). I finally found something to soften my new growth, but I tried to flat iron it the other day and while it was straighter than it was without the flat iron, it was not as straight as when I had a perm. Is there a way I can get it that straight again without damaging my hair. Please help me help myself.

I am not transiting either but I am stretching. I have stretched for 8 months straight and still pulled off the straight look.

I flat iron my hair, I use all types of leave ins and Joico Instant Smoother Silk Result Flat ironing spray on the roots and get the flat iron close to the roots and voila! the permed look without a perm.

Also you may not want to but blow drying is a good way to get that just permed "look". I use a conair brush that looks like a flat iron. The technique with that is I use Salerm Brushing spray on the roots then use the conair brush like a flat iron with the blow dryer.

I know it sounds like a lot of heat but my hair is very healthy and I have been blowdrying for years and flat ironing with no damage.

I tell ya, these techniques work and no one would know your not perming the hair grows faster too.

MizzBrown

I agree w/ OP. Get the blow dryer out. I blow dry my hair using the comb attachment. I spray some salerm21/water mix or Fermodyl 619 or Lacio Lacio concentrating on the roots and I blowdry it straight.

After I oil my scalp and seal, I use the Scarf method. Will flat iron new growth sometimes, then wrap hair. Scarf method lays down the new growth a whole lot and helps my stretching.

Lotus

Try the Yogurt conditioner/natural relaxer http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=167391&highlight=yogurt&page=11 next time before you flat iron.

Dry the hair in a mild tense or stretched state before you flat iron. Roller set like DivaStyle or dry in med/tight ponies (not damaging tight... just tight enough to stretch the coils) so that the new growth is stretched as it drys.

You didnt mention it, but if your not using one... use a serum to flat iron.

HTH!

phyl73

Thanks everyone for replying. I was getting really frustrated and was about to get it permed in January, but I REALLY want to be natural. I will try the leave-ins and blowing it out. I'll keep you all posted and thanks again.

blackbarbie

I am transitioning as well and when i don't get a blowout (of my roots) from the dominicans, I let them flat iron my roots with Paul Mitchell's Skinny Serum. It gets my roots pretty straight.

I rollerset my own hair a couple of weeks ago and I used the serum myself to flat iron the roots. It didn't come out as straight as theirs did (with a little more practice, I am sure it will), but I think I did pretty good considering I am heat appliance challenged:grin:

I have also rollerset my hair before using Lonei's ponytail method. (securing the sections with a ponytail holder and rollersetting the section). As another poster mentioned, this stretches out your new growth as well. When I did this, I didn't have to flat iron the roots; I just wrapped it and the roots laid down pretty good.

BB

phyl73

I am transitioning as well and when i don't get a blowout (of my roots) from the dominicans, I let them flat iron my roots with Paul Mitchell's Skinny Serum. It gets my roots pretty straight.

I rollerset my own hair a couple of weeks ago and I used the serum myself to flat iron the roots. It didn't come out as straight as theirs did (with a little more practice, I am sure it will), but I think I did pretty good considering I am heat appliance challenged:grin:

I have also rollerset my hair before using Lonei's ponytail method. (securing the sections with a ponytail holder and rollersetting the section). As another poster mentioned, this stretches out your new growth as well. When I did this, I didn't have to flat iron the roots; I just wrapped it and the roots laid down pretty good.

BB

Thanks BlackBarbie. You hair is beautiful. I am not very good at roller setting. I did when I was permed and lost alot of hair, but will try it again. I have not had it permed since the beginning of September. I know that's not a long time, but it's so hard going from every 6 weeks or so (which I now know was WAY to much for my hair) to never. Well I'm going to stick it out and maybe in a couple of years my hair will forgive me :perplexed and grow as beautiful as yours.

inthepink

What works well for my roots is to use Keracare Creme press on each section before I flat iron. This gets them pretty straight and helps with reversion. Good luck. OH, don't use too much.

phyl73

What works well for my roots is to use Keracare Creme press on each section before I flat iron. This gets them pretty straight and helps with reversion. Good luck. OH, don't use too much.

Thanks HairLove. Can I buy this creme at Walmart or Target? I will try all of these methods until I find one that works for me.

Gryphyn

I transitioned for years. I rollerset and then flat-ironed it. Now that I'm natural, I still do the same thing. I explain it all in my journal.

This is what I plan to try the next time I wash my hair. I hear this is one of the best methods for getting natural hair straight.

Moroni

I'm not transitioning, but I've got more than 1.5 inches of NG and 4 more weeks of stretching to do. I tried the coconut milk/lime treatment, followed a couple of days later with the caramel treatment. After flat ironing, my hair felt like I'd just had a relaxer.

I read on a thread where someone was transitioning and she used the caramel treatment every 6 weeks.....there was even a salon that used it instead of relaxers somewhere in PA. HTH