Will my hair stop growing if...

lovelymissyoli

I’m getting my hair colored this Friday and I’m afraid that whatever growth I am getting now (approx. 1 inch a month w/braids) is going to almost diminish
. I’ve heard and experienced more growth than I ever had when I stopped relaxing my hair. I’m wondering if coloring is just as harsh as a relaxer and will it prevent my hair from growing to it’s potential because of the chemicals it contains? For those ladies who have had their hair colored or know what I'm talking about…let me know…

P.S.> I'm not getting color & a relaxer, just plain ole' color.

Redpoetess1

Color will not prevent your hair from growing, but it will weaken it tremndously if you don't take care of it on a daily basis. My mother colored her hair and it was a disaster. So be wise about yor choice. If you're going to get it then be very careful with taking care of it.

Zola

Are you worried about it actually preventing your growth, or is your concern more with the potential damage that it may cause (ie. breakage)?

I transitioned primarily through the use of idividual braids. This past March I had my relaxed ends cut off and I finally gave up my fall (lengthwise, I outgrew it
). I began to flat iron my hair between braided periods and I was happy with it except I wanted to add some color to it (like I last wore in my relaxed days in 2002). I also remember how broken off my hair was with the perm/relaxer combination.

To make a long story short, I haven't had any problems yet with using color and alternating between braids and flat ironing. Well, my ends were a little dry last time I had my hair out at the top of June.

I'm paying close attention to them though so hopefully I didn't make a mistake. Nahh, my hair is sooo much stronger and thicker now-I'll still be cautious though. Guess I don't really have any advice, I just wanted to share my experience with you. BTW-I used Textures & Tones.