Will plaits work?

Dee-Licious

I am relaxed and I am trying to do no heat. Airdrying just leaves my hair looking dry and puffy. I have had my friend to cornrow my hair for a braidout, but it came out looking.. should i say just "NOT CUTE"? It was not my first braidout, so maybe my hair just does not work with the cornrow braidout thing. Is it possible to get a wavy look by doing plaits all over and letting them dry before being undone? If so, what products should I use so that my hair does not look dry or frizzy? Also, can I let my hair dry partially before I put the plaits in, or should it be done on wet hair?

Greetings! If by plaits you mean "braids" not attached to the head, then I do those. :lol:

I tried to do cornrows (what a joke!) and twist outs, but my hair always came out tangled and frizzy. I discovered it was mainly because I was trying to do it without properly detangling and then because it was wet, it wasn't drying completely. Now, I let my hair dry a little bit (30-45 minutes) with a scarf to keep it from being puffy, and then I apply my moisturizers to new growth and do four plaits. I even used the scarf on my daughter's hair in the same way, and her hair came out flatter and straighter. Her hair is thicker and a little bit longer than my hair.

Sylver2 gets credit for the scarf trick...

hi when i had a relaxer. i plaited my hair when it was wet.i put elasta qp oil moisturizer on it .Used quite a bit. plait it to the end and then tie a loose knot in the end of the plait . so the ends are curlys when you take the plait out, where it over night .taken it out the next morning .And your hair should be curly or wavely depending on the size of the plait.Make sure your hair complete wet and comb it out before you plait.And don't forget to use a lot of oil moisturizer. elasta qp was a good oil moisturizer for me when i had a relaxer.good luck.

if you want waves do big plaits but make sure your hairs wet and moisturizer it.

Last edited:
this may be dumb.. but which size plaits works best for which one.. should i use bigger or smaller paits if i want it wavy?

Last edited:
I always do plaits. Check out my natural journey January album. I did alot, but you don't have to do as many.

Last edited:
Twists and plaits make my hair TOO curly and unruly though! Especially at the ends. :( My hair just turns into a tangled mess in the morning. :nono: What am I doing wrong?

Or, maybe I just don't have the hair for it. I have very fine hair that is mildly relaxed. But after I wash and airdry 60% and put twists or braids in my hair, my hair always turns into a poof-ball in the morning. Or...even worse, my ends look so tangly, and so my hair sheds a LOT. :ohwell:

There has to be another alternative way of airdrying and still getting somewhat straight hair.

the larger plaits the looser the waves... I'd say no more than 4 braids. Any more than that, and they're going to be tight

Crystalicequeen123 said:
Twists and plaits make my hair TOO curly and unruly though! Especially at the ends. :( My hair just turns into a tangled mess in the morning. :nono: What am I doing wrong?

Or, maybe I just don't have the hair for it. I have very fine hair that is mildly relaxed. But after I wash and airdry 60% and put twists or braids in my hair, my hair always turns into a poof-ball in the morning. Or...even worse, my ends look so tangly, and so my hair sheds a LOT. :ohwell:

There has to be another alternative way of airdrying and still getting somewhat straight hair.

I hear you on the poof! and the puff! and the frizz! :eek:

The key for me is The Scarf, and you have to put it on the right way. I know Sylver2 is probably trippin on me, but she really got me to see the light about the scarf. You have to tie it on tight after you've smoothed down your hair with leave-ins and let it do the 60% air-dry this way. Once I started doing the braids on damp, not wet hair, it was less frizzy and not as tangled. I can actually run my fingers through my hair and I'm 19 weeks post in my first stretch!!

Also, applying the right product(s) to the NG and braids when it was damp made a difference too. CON shampoo and Scurl really help me keep my NG detangled and soft.

Back