Woman: Airport search of my Afro was humiliating!

Newbie2Beauty

Sorry if this has been posted already. I searched and didn't see it. SMH at this story. BTW her hair is beautiful!!
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/09/22/earlyshow/main20110086.shtml

A Dallas hairstylist traveling through Atlanta's Hartsfield- Jackson International Airport says she was unfairly singled out for having big hair.

Isis Brantley was flying home to Texas when she said two TSA representatives dug down to her scalp checking for weapons and explosives.

“I just heard this weird voice saying ‘stop. Lady, don't go! The lady with the big hair, stop,' ” Brantley told Channel 2’s Diana Davis.

Brantley told Davis she's used to TSA screenings and pat-downs, but she said what happened Monday went too far.

After she cleared security, Brantley said two TSA agents followed her down the escalator to the concourse trains telling her to stop.

“Basically they said, ‘We have to check your hair for explosives’ and I thought they were kidding me. I just thought it was a joke. I was shocked. Everyone was shocked,” Brantley said.

StarScream35

Daaaaag that's messed up but truthfully, I can see why it was done. Though it may be humiliating, they gotta do what they gotta do. There are way too many weirdos trying to get on planes and do stupid things even post 9/11.

Embyra

I personally dont see the issue they search everywhere else why not your big fro?

If they were polite and courteous im not seeing the problem i personally would have expected them to

ClassicBeauty

I'm not really worried by this. I was asked (aka forced) to take my bun down when I was walking through airport security this summer. I'll admit that I was a little shocked, but I complied, and wasn't really that big of a deal. The lady was black, and she complimented my hair. I said thanks and put it back in a bun after I walked through.

PinkGirlFluff

Maybe I'm the only one but not one of the security measures at the airports make me feel safer. I don't really think about my safety in that way. I'm more worried about whether the pilot is well rested, the condition of the plane, and the weather during my flight.

*shrugs*

I just hope they don't start trying to get all between the butt cheeks of people with big ole booties you can hide a mac book in. Seriously I've seen some that can hide an explosive in. lmbo.

curlyninjagirl

I mean, I get it, but exactly as the previous poster said, I don't wanna get a$$ checked. How far is too far? I don't wanna get fondled every time I have to ride a plane. Which seems extreme now, but if we don't hold tight to our rights they could definitely be taken away from us in the name of safety.

Stepiphanie

I've been fro searched on two different occasions, granted my hair was wrapped, but I just shrugged it off, one lady even had the nerve to ask "what is that?", I wanted to come back with a snarky comment and explain that her hair probably feels like that minus bad weave and chemicals, but it wasn't worth the cavity search!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Well, it may not be popular opinion but I want everyone and everything inspected for safety. But hey, that's just my opinion. I agree there is a way to inspect people in a professional and courteous manner but no one should be exempt. Period.

Shadiyah

what you telling me that the xray machine doesn't show what's in the hair!!! it can show you with out your clothes but not with out your hair.

Dragone

It's nothing but a dog & pony show anyway, so I'm hardly surprised. TSA regularly fails their own random weapons tests, and people report getting on planes with all sorts of weapons even after these new ridiculous rules.

Countries that actually experience terrorism regularly don't waste time on these things. They invest the money in hiring people qualified to identify potential terrorists, not former Wal-Mart employees with power issues.

Mleah

I do not recall the names of the innocent.. There were children going to their destinies on those planes on 9/11. One child, I remember reading about was an inner city Black child who was going on a trip with his teacher. He had a won a scholarship. He saw the face of His Creator that day, instead of D.C. So, if they want to check my fro, check my big boobs or whatever else they believe future a holes will try to smuggle explosives in..... DO IT!! SO WHAT!!!
Do not let another child succumb to the ravings and heinous acts of mad men...................Custer and Bin Laden had it coming!!!!!!!!!!!

Solitude

It's nothing but a dog & pony show anyway, so I'm hardly surprised. TSA regularly fails their own random weapons tests, and people report getting on planes with all sorts of weapons even after these new ridiculous rules.

Countries that actually experience terrorism regularly don't waste time on these things. They invest the money in hiring people qualified to identify potential terrorists, not former Wal-Mart employees with power issues.

I could say so much, but I'm trying to keep in mind that this is the hair section.

Why do you say that people are still getting on with weapons? I'm not saying it is not happening, but who are these people reporting that? I also really feel the need to note that not all TSA employees are "former Wal-Mart employees" whatever that means :-/

Some of them are ex-military and very well trained and qualified...just because many are minorities, let's not assume they are uneducated and unqualified. Eta: for a while, they had large placards at the airports in the DC area detailing the backgrounds of some TSA employees and now I see why.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

choctaw

This happened to my cousin recently. She has locs though. Apparently they are more prone to search people with hair that sticks out from their head. Basically if your hair is not straight and flat you may get searched.Here is her blog post about it. http://www.theblacktivist.com/2011/...of-mass-destruction-in-my-hair-tsa-thinks-so/

I wash my hair and pull it straight back into a braid. I growled at the last AH who poked their fingers through my afro ... :lachen:

coolsista-paris

yrah, what about those machines!? i sawon news that it even shoes your gaz if you fart, sooooo why cant it detect the hair as it sees you naked.

fitnessmommy

It's not a big deal and I think she is overreacting. I've had my bun searched twice. It's quick and sorry but it does make sense. Things CAN be hidden in big hair...

naheda72

Well, it is easy to say it is not an issue when you are not harrassed everytime you fly. As a Muslim woman I am ALWAYS searched. Once I travelled with my children without my husband, and as usual, they pulled me aside for the pat down, but no one cared that there wasn't anyone to watch my 2 and 6 year old. Just left them hanging, no one grabbed or secured them and wouldn't let them come with me. Both of my children have been on the no-fly list. This is a joke, but not a very funny one. I would really like to know how many people they have caught with these searches.

Shadiyah

Well, it is easy to say it is not an issue when you are not harrassed everytime you fly. As a Muslim woman I am ALWAYS searched. Once I travelled with my children without my husband, and as usual, they pulled me aside for the pat down, but no one cared that there wasn't anyone to watch my 2 and 6 year old. Just left them hanging, no one grabbed or secured them and wouldn't let them come with me. Both of my children have been on the no-fly list. This is a joke, but not a very funny one. I would really like to know how many people they have caught with these searches.

see you and I are on the same page. no one knows the things we have to go through on a regular basis. I don't even want to fly anymore I will drive where I have to go unless I am going overseas, that is the only time I will put myself through that. when you have to go through this every single time just because you are muslim or some other religous group it gets a bit much. now suppose your children had a been snatched?? all those people passing by so quickly. people just do not understand usa had a hand in all that mess to get what they wanted it is called coladeral damage???

naijamerican

I could say so much, but I'm trying to keep in mind that this is the hair section.

Why do you say that people are still getting on with weapons? I'm not saying it is not happening, but who are these people reporting that? I also really feel the need to note that not all TSA employees are "former Wal-Mart employees" whatever that means :-/

Some of them are ex-military and very well trained and qualified...just because many are minorities, let's not assume they are uneducated and unqualified. Eta: for a while, they had large placards at the airports in the DC area detailing the backgrounds of some TSA employees and now I see why.

I know that this is the hair section but I couldn't ignore this part of what you said. How on earth did you come to this conclusion based on the very post you quoted? Ain't nobody care about the race of the TSA employees. :perplexed

On topic, I'm really torn about this issue. I do want them to search everything and anything if it will thwart a security breach. But I often wonder how many liberties we're going to be willing to give up out of fear of what could possibly happen. So I don't know, but I do know that I'm very sorry for that woman that she felt violated and humiliated. I also kind of want to know what her regimen is. :look:

kandegirl

I had my hair twisted up in a Houston airport and they searched inside my hair. I laughed inside b/c I felt like I was being weave checked but it's all for security and my hair was big. No one is exempt. Rather safe than sorry!

DarkVictory

Can someone clarify for me why the metal detector wouldn't catch a weapon hidden in someone's hair? Is it that liquid explosive might be inside the bun? Serious question.

Has anyone seen or heard of a White or Asian woman having her bun searched or being asked to take down an updo?

I believe in tight security on the plane, too, but some of this stuff just doesn't seem to make sense.

greenandchic

Can someone clarify for me why the metal detector wouldn't catch a weapon hidden in someone's hair? Is it that liquid explosive might be inside the bun? Serious question.

Has anyone seen or heard of a White or Asian woman having her bun searched or being asked to take down an updo?

I believe in tight security on the plane, too, but some of this stuff just doesn't seem to make sense.

I guess the same reason/way the "Underwear Bomber" got through security with a explosives in his drawers. :perplexed

Dragone

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

Easy enough to find, but this blog post has a good summary of links: http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2007/10/25/tsa-screeners-fail-most-bomb-tests/

Most TSA officials are in no way qualified for the amount of power their wield, and they're still mostly incompetent at what their job is supposed to be: finding dangerous weapons.