Woman: Airport search of my Afro was humiliating!

naturalgyrl5199

To the Muslim sistas much power to you for keeping your peace because I do believe you are targeted. Your children on a no-fly list? Sick? Just
Goes to show how silly the system can be. Unfortunately this is the best we have. Which is why I say we can ONLY depend on God! Spending all this time harrassing innocent folk while the crazies like Mr Underwear bomber and Mr Shoe bomber make it all the way on the plane only for God to have to step in anyways and save the day! Smh....

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF

CurlyMoo

Disgusting! Smh, the lengths people will go to do a weave check.

This must be some kind of afro profiling. Who did they think she was Pam Grier with razor blades in her afro? Come on! I'm surprised at so many people willing to wave their rights for racial/afro profiling just to be "safe." You are more likely to get hit by a car than to die in a terrorist plot. Hmm how many terrorists have we caught using TSA?

Weren't they racial profiling and sexually assaulting Black women who came from the islands? Claiming they had marijuana on them. Now they are using hair. I think some of these TSA agents just want to see how long the hair is and/or do some kind of weave check.

TSA needs to scale back or passengers who refuse the scanner and patdown. Hit them in the pocket book.

MeechUK

MeechUK
Unfortunately women have been known to smuggle drugs in their hair! These women have created this problem for law-abiding women! A few always make problems for others!

Solitude

Easy enough to find, but this blog post has a good summary of links: http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2007/10/25/tsa-screeners-fail-most-bomb-tests/

Most TSA officials are in no way qualified for the amount of power their wield, and they're still mostly incompetent at what their job is supposed to be: finding dangerous weapons.

Dragone

If you look at the post I quoted, the statement made about TSA employees was derogatory.

What do YOU think their qualifications should be? Serious question.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using LHCF app

Solitude

I know that this is the hair section but I couldn't ignore this part of what you said. How on earth did you come to this conclusion based on the very post you quoted? Ain't nobody care about the race of the TSA employees. :perplexed

On topic, I'm really torn about this issue. I do want them to search everything and anything if it will thwart a security breach. But I often wonder how many liberties we're going to be willing to give up out of fear of what could possibly happen. So I don't know, but I do know that I'm very sorry for that woman that she felt violated and humiliated. I also kind of want to know what her regimen is. :look:

naijamerican

How did I come to that based on that post?! Read the post that I quoted...what was the purpose of calling TSA agents "former Wal-Mart employees?!" What is that supposed to mean other than race? How does one look at a TSA agent and determine that they may have worked at Wal-Mart? *scratches head*

In the airports in the major cities I travel through, the TSA agents are mostly black. I don't think that statement would have been made if the TSA agents looked like the pilots.

I travel frequently and get randomly searched all of the time. I have been sitting in a terminal, chilling, and had my carry-on checked. I have been rushing to make a flight and gotten pulled aside during screening for a pat down. I've seen this happen to many people, regardless of race or visible signs of religion. I think it because I travel alone a lot. I won't disregard any other person's experience, but I've never felt embarrassed. I no longer cover my hair while in the airport like I used to because I do think it draws attention.

Dragone

@naijamerican

How did I come to that based on that post?! Read the post that I quoted...what was the purpose of calling TSA agents "former Wal-Mart employees?!" What is that supposed to mean other than race? How does one look at a TSA agent and determine that they may have worked at Wal-Mart? *scratches head*

In the airports in the major cities I travel through, the TSA agents are mostly black. I don't think that statement would have been made if the TSA agents looked like the pilots.

I travel frequently and get randomly searched all of the time. I have been sitting in a terminal, chilling, and had my carry-on checked. I have been rushing to make a flight and gotten pulled aside during screening for a pat down. I've seen this happen to many people, regardless of race or visible signs of religion. I think it because I travel alone a lot. I won't disregard any other person's experience, but I've never felt embarrassed. I no longer cover my hair while in the airport like I used to because I do think it draws attention.

Maybe you should not project your experience on others when trying to find deeper meaning in someone's statement. I meant exactly what I said, that the qualifications to search people's bags and person, to detain them for whatever reason, and have to access to personal identifying information, is hardly more than is required to be a Wal-Mart employee.

Qualifications needed to apply to be a TSA agent:

Applicants must be a citizen of the United States or a U.S National and have a high school diploma, GED or recognized equivalent. If you do not possess the education component, you can still apply if you have at least one year of full time experience working as an X-ray technician, aviation screener or security officer. In addition to these two basic requirements, applicants will be required to meet the following employment conditions:

• Demonstrate physical fitness to work on a daily basis without the aid of medication.
  • Work irregular hours and shifts, including holidays and weekends.
  • Pass drug and alcohol screening tests.
  • Pass background, criminal and credit checks.

I have no idea of the overall racial composition of the TSA, but as evidenced by their failure rate in detecting guns, knives, faux-bombs, etc most of them are unqualified to hold those jobs.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I'm torn on this one as well.

Part of me says if you're going to fly, you need to adhere to their rules for the safety of everyone.

Another part of me says that I've read some stories where it doesn't seem like the search was done respectfully. I mean, is there a reason why the person being searched can't part their own hair while the TSA agent is watching without having to be touched?

I just hate being touched by strangers too much.

BostonMaria

Maybe you should not project your experience on others when trying to find deeper meaning in someone's statement. I meant exactly what I said, that the qualifications to search people's bags and person, to detain them for whatever reason, and have to access to personal identifying information, is hardly more than is required to be a Wal-Mart employee.

Qualifications needed to apply to be a TSA agent:

I have no idea of the overall racial composition of the TSA, but as evidenced by their failure rate in detecting guns, knives, faux-bombs, etc most of them are unqualified to hold those jobs.

I agree

TSA employees are paid minimum wage and are not required to have a degree.

Sent from my fancy iPhone using LHCF

phyl73

I went to Utah from Atlanta airport last week and they checked my braids. It didn't upset me though. I just found it interesting.

curlyninjagirl

I mean, I get it, but exactly as the previous poster said, I don't wanna get a$$ checked. How far is too far? I don't wanna get fondled every time I have to ride a plane. Which seems extreme now, but if we don't hold tight to our rights they could definitely be taken away from us in the name of safety.

Ladies (especially naturals with big hair): My hair got fondled at the airport. (AND I got THIGH FONDLED:cry2:). It felt soooo demeaning. I looked at the woman and said Ewww. It's happening folks, kiss your rights goodbye.......I just pray they don't start going up all our highnies!:massmoon:

Sooo, I leave you all with this. Braid your hair down flat if you are riding an airplane. Also, if you have a couple pounds to lose (like I do), be prepared to have your jiggly bits touched by a stranger. If that's not motivation to get to the gym, I don't know what is.....:nono:

candy626

This happened to me when I was at the Miami airport. I had kinky curly extensions on and they were all up in my scalp. It was annoying but I didn't care to make a scene about it.

BrickbyBrick

I get it. I'd rather that than a groin check or a diaper removal. The latter happened to a wheelchair elderly lady.

PatTodd

i am at the airport right now with my hair out and curly (and not very big because it's still damp) and they patted my hair down. I didn't appreciate it :perplexed.