Woman Gets 150,000 After Bad Relaxer

TigerOrange

There is absolutely no price that could replace this poor woman's hair. I would have given her 1 million for this. I wonder how many black women could sue hair stylist for overprocessing their hair. Just food for thought.

ATHENS, Ga. — It was far worse than just a bad hair day.
A jury awarded $150,000 to a woman who was left mostly bald after a visit to a salon.

Mary Lynn Reddish, 43, went to a Regis Salon (search) in October of 2000 to have a mild hair relaxer applied to her wavy blonde tresses, but after the treatment, clumps of her hair came out in the wash and even more were pulled out when combed.

Reddish said she was left nearly bald as the result of a chemical reaction from the hair-relaxing product and the dye used to bleach her hair blonde.

The damage to Reddish's hair follicles not only caused the temporary hair loss, but also will probably cause her to suffer from premature hair loss as she ages, said her attorney Danny Love.

On Friday, a Clarke County (search) Superior Court jury awarded Reddish $150,000 in compensation for mental anguish, as well as wigs and other expenses she incurred.

"I believe it was a fair verdict," Love said. "The jury did not discount her pain and psychological suffering. They didn't discount this as just a bad haircut — it was much worse than that."

Ed Mangiafico Jr., the attorney who defended Regis Corp. in the lawsuit, declined comment Monday.

Minnesota-based Regis Corp. is the world's largest company in the salon industry, with over 9,000 salons in North America.

adrienne0914

Re: Woman Gets $150,000 After Hair Treatment Leaves He

man, they got off cheap!! i think she should have gotten more as well!!

my story would have read, "ms. moore's damage award will be held in a trust fund pending her release from prison. after seeing the damage to her hair, ms. moore commenced to beating the
out of said stylist."

G

[ QUOTE ]
"ms. moore's damage award will be held in a trust fund pending her release from prison. after seeing the damage to her hair, ms. moore commenced to beating the out of said stylist."

[/ QUOTE ]

ChocoKitty

[ QUOTE ]

my story would have read, "ms. moore's damage award will be held in a trust fund pending her release from prison. after seeing the damage to her hair, ms. moore commenced to beating the
out of said stylist."

[/ QUOTE ]

cybra

Re: Woman Gets $150,000 After Hair Treatment Leave

[ QUOTE ]

out of said stylist."

[/ QUOTE ]

Girrrrrrl, you are way too funny!!!!!

melodee

Somehow this reminds me of that episode of Martin, when Gina worked in Shenaenae's salon and forgot the neutralizer on that ladies permed hair. She was bald, but Shenaenae told her she looked like Eartha Kitt! Rrrrr!

Islandgirl

i need to get some money from Admirations Hair salon on 20th and Chestnut in Philadelpha for a disastrous hair fallout out in October 2002 from a relaxer application!!!! The left back corner of my hair has finally grown out, but considerably shorter than the rest of my hair. I have experienced emotional distress and other grief from the disaster.

On another note, good for that woman that sued and got some money from the disaster. I hope this warning goes out to the incompetent stylists out there.

A_Christian

They should have awarded her with waaaaaaaaay more than $150,000 !!!!!! I know that's a lot of money but that kind of traumatic experience is worth more than that. However, I'm glad that they did give her something. I wonder what that stylist is doing now ? Geesh, how scary, this is one of the worst relaxer stories I've ever heard.

inthepink

Being a victim of a bad relaxer myself (though nowhere near as bad as this, thank God!), I think she should have gotten more. It's so devastating to have your hair fall out unexpectantly! I just wish in my case, I had at least gotten back the $105 I paid for the relaxer!

And did they apply a relaxer and bleach in the same appointment? Doesn't sound like a so-called professional...

Tebby1017

[ QUOTE ]

out of said stylist."

[/ QUOTE ]

...ROFLMAO at Adrienne...girl, you have a loose screw!!

Tebby

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
[ QUOTE ]
There is absolutely no price that could replace this poor woman's hair. I would have given her 1 million for this. I wonder how many black women could sue hair stylist for overprocessing their hair. Just food for thought.

ATHENS, Ga. — It was far worse than just a bad hair day.
A jury awarded $150,000 to a woman who was left mostly bald after a visit to a salon.

Mary Lynn Reddish, 43, went to a Regis Salon (search) in October of 2000 to have a mild hair relaxer applied to her wavy blonde tresses, but after the treatment, clumps of her hair came out in the wash and even more were pulled out when combed.

Reddish said she was left nearly bald as the result of a chemical reaction from the hair-relaxing product and the dye used to bleach her hair blonde.

The damage to Reddish's hair follicles not only caused the temporary hair loss, but also will probably cause her to suffer from premature hair loss as she ages, said her attorney Danny Love.

On Friday, a Clarke County (search) Superior Court jury awarded Reddish $150,000 in compensation for mental anguish, as well as wigs and other expenses she incurred.

"I believe it was a fair verdict," Love said. "The jury did not discount her pain and psychological suffering. They didn't discount this as just a bad haircut — it was much worse than that."

Ed Mangiafico Jr., the attorney who defended Regis Corp. in the lawsuit, declined comment Monday.

Minnesota-based Regis Corp. is the world's largest company in the salon industry, with over 9,000 salons in North America.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm slightly confused. When reading this article, I assumed that the woman was white. But racial identity aside, why would she put such a strong chemical on her head. Wouldn't a thermal perm be better

Tebby1017

[ QUOTE ]
Somehow this reminds me of that episode of Martin, when Gina worked in Shenaenae's salon and forgot the neutralizer on that ladies permed hair. She was bald, but Shenaenae told her she looked like Eartha Kitt! Rrrrr!

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember that episode. The lady's name was Myra and she was like..."grrr, Poly vue francais? Poly vue francais?

Tebby

myco

Did this happen before Thermal perms hit the mainstream market? Even still, they aren't available everywhere and they are much more expensive than a regular relaxer, so that might have been why she chose this.