Woman missing after calling 911 to report toddler walking on Alabama interstate

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation

This case is mind boggling.

Woman missing after calling 911 to report toddler walking on Alabama interstate​

Carlethia “Carlee” Nichole Russell called a family member and said the toddler was walking on I-459 South, and then the relative lost contact. No child was found.

00:22 /01:22

TAP TO UNMUTE

Get more newson

• SAVE
    Create your free profile or log in to save this article
July 15, 2023, 10:44 AM EDT
By Phil Helsel
A woman in Alabama went missing after she called 911 and a relative to report a toddler walking on an interstate Thursday, police in Hoover said.
Police found the vehicle of Carlethia “Carlee” Nichole Russell and some of her possessions shortly after 9:30 p.m. Thursday, police said, but neither she nor any child after the calls to 911 and the family member.

“A single witness has reported possibly seeing a gray vehicle with a light complected male standing outside of Carlee’s vehicle but we have no further information on that individual or the vehicle at this time,” Lowe said.
Police asked for any tips in the case. Russell left work in Birmingham at around 8:20 p.m., and she stopped to pick up some food before making the call about the child, police said.
Carlethia “Carlee” Nichole Russell
Carlethia “Carlee” Nichole Russell.Courtesy Hoover Police Department via Facebook
A $20,000 reward has also been offered by a donor who wishes to remain anonymous, and a $5,000 reward has been offered by Crime Stoppers, Lowe said.
“We currently are investigating every possibility in this case,” he said. “We’re certainly leaving nothing off the table.”
Russell called and reported seeing a toddler walking on I-459 South, and stopped by Mile Marker 11, police said.

Hoover is a city of around 92,000 in the Birmingham area, south of the city.
Russell's cell phone was also found by police at the scene, and investigators are analyzing it, Lowe said.

Recommended​

U.S. NEWSInmate with 'survivalist skills' who escaped Pennsylvania jail is in custody after manhunt

U.S. NEWSFargo police officer killed in shooting that wounded 2 officers and civilian

Russell is Black, around 5 feet 4 inches tall and between 150 and 160 pounds, police said. She was wearing a black shirt, black pants and white Nike tennis shoes.
Russell’s family also pleaded with the public to help.

“We’re just going to scour the earth,” Russell’s dad, Carlos Russell said, NBC affiliate WVTM of Birmingham reported. “There’s no stopping us.”
Jefferson State Community College said Russell is a student and the entire community was praying for her.
“The entire Jefferson State community is extremely concerned for the safety of Student Carlethia ‘Carlee’ Nichole Russell and we are praying for her safe return as soon as possible,” the college tweeted. It asked anyone with information to contact police.

TrulyBlessed

I was seconds away from posting this. Thanks for sharing! Scary how this could be any one of us because if I saw a toddler walking along the highway I’d probably want to help somehow too. Alabama is a hot zone for sex trafficking especially this time of year and I’m certain the kid was used as bait.

Everything Zen

dancinstallion

I was seconds away from posting this. Thanks for sharing! Scary how this could be any one of us because if I saw a toddler walking along the highway I’d probably want to help somehow too. Alabama is a hot zone for sex trafficking especially this time of year and I’m certain the kid was used as bait.

If I saw a baby wandering the streets, I would have done the same thing. But now ain't no way. It's terrible!! You want to do the right thing but evil won't let you.

I may watch from afar and call 911.

OMG. A week ago I was just talking to my kids about this same type of scenario. I showed them a video of a boy running down an isolated street alone and I asked what would they do?
DD said she would have stopped to help the boy. I said but it could be a setup and that I wouldn't want them to stop.

Screenshot_20230716-130633_Messages.jpg

lavaflow99

Nah they’re saying it was a real toddler. This is scary as hell:

Wow this happened at night? It was so dark! How did anyone see a child?

This could explain why no other drivers saw the child.

lavaflow99

And since this was a traffic camera, they should have all the video from start to finish.

lavaflow99

Last sentence in this article:

Police said they were going to give her time to recover before interviewing her.

Is that normal to wait to speak with a victim? As the days pass, memories and details fade and will be harder to gather evidence I would think.......

Sosoothing

Last sentence in this article:

Police said they were going to give her time to recover before interviewing her.

Is that normal to wait to speak with a victim? As the days pass, memories and details fade and will be harder to gather evidence I would think.......
I was wondering too. Especially if it was a real toddler. Isn't the safety of the child a pressing matter?

PatDM'T

That no one is talking about at the bolded.

Alright, I'm done for real now. :lol:
This whole delay
in providing details
is making this
feel like the
worst movie ever
made with its
dragged on slow
trickle of info.
Like they know
what happened but it
is embarrassing and