Women 35 and older with BSL or longer hair!

janeemat

I did not start my hair journey until I was 43/44 and now I am forty nine. You can see from my siggy my growth. My hair has thinned in the last year or so, I really believe it is from a couple of long stretches.

Charla

Every woman won't experience this, but hormones start doing a little shift after age 35. Also perimenopause could start at this time as well. Some ladies could start shedding their hair until the hormones are settled again. However diet, exercise and nutrition can help to combat this problem. Most ladies won't have to deal with this.there are a lot of ladies on this board that are still growing their hair just fine into their fifties and beyond.

I went through SEVERE shedding at age 31. My hair's density decreased by over 60%! I went to the gyno and she confirmed that it was due to hormonal shifts. This shedding went on for a whole year! But when it stopped, it stopped and my hair returned to normal. It took about 18 months for it to get back to normal. I'm 35 now and my hair is better than EVER, so hopefully any more hair-related issues will be non-existent or minimal.

Also, any ladies really looking to ward off what we think are "normal hormonal changes for our age" should look into bio-available progesterone cream....changed my life!

LilMissSunshine5

Thanks for the thread OP! I know I can't comment bc I am "only" 30, but I worried about the same thing. It was part of the reason I wanted to go natural. Most of the women in my family had long-ish hair in their childhood/young adulthood, but start to experience thinning/breakage as they age (over 50 usually). My hair has changed over the past 5 years, so I am fully expecting it to continue to do so as I get older. My mom is 70 & has started experiencing hair difficulties the past 5 years...she has been BSL most of my life, so it was weird to see her start having retention/length issues. I have seen it in other women aging, so I decided to cut chemicals as a pre-emptive strike :lachen: I told her maybe relaxers were exacerbating her hair issues because she has never used much heat/manipulation, but she refuses to stop getting them :look:

The fears make sense to me bc calcium levels and other minerals/hormone levels start to decline at 30, so I get super paranoid about these things getting in the way of my hair goals! If my bones are brittle, I think my hair can't be far behind :lol: Anyway, great posts! I am taking a multivitamin and calcium pill as we speak :grin:

AnjelLuvs

My fam is prone to thin edges, shot most of older aunts, except one has no edges (the one is natural, and usually keeps it in a short do). Their hair starts about at the ear and back.. I look at their practices and dear not do them...

IE: pulling hair back, almost ALL the time, relaxing Bone straight, every 4-6 weeks.. :perplexed... Over greasing if moisturizing at all...

They always marvel at how fast my hair grows, and why I cutt it often, sometimes even on a whim...

This site is a staple for me, as I can get new hair ideas to stretch perm or do more than just hair out styles... like braid-outs and so forth, low manipulation...

sunnieb

I'm baaaaccckkkk! Here are my answers:

1. Age - 39

2. Hair length - Just made BSL on Sept. 30

3. Hair health (any damage?) - My hairline suffered because of monthly relaxers, no moisture, overall bad haircare practices. I'm still nursing it back to total health.

4. Relaxed or natural? Bone-laxed! :grin:

5. Basic reggie including how long you stretch if you do. Self-Relax every 14 weeks, DC 2x a week (lately it's been 1x), Cowash 2-3x a week, moisturize 2x daily, oil as needed, bunning 5x a week

6. Any other factors you think contribute to your long hair ie. diet and exercise, does your mom have long hair, etc. Yes! I've finally gotten back in to regular exercise and I know it helps! :yep: I drink 100oz water daily and I take my daily vitamins consistently.

7. A current picture if you have one! Attached is a pic from October 5th when I was 5 days post relaxer.

Attachments

• IMG_20111005_074615-1.jpg
    IMG_20111005_074615-1.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 66

prospurr4

1. Age

2. Hair length
Full MBL

3. Hair health (any damage?)
Healthy

4. Relaxed or natural?
Texlaxed

5. Basic reggie including how long you stretch if you do.
No direct heat, Wash weekly, low manipulation hairstyles, non-stretcher (TU about every 7 weeks)

6. Any other factors you think contribute to your long hair ie. diet and exercise, does your mom have long hair, etc.
Regular exercise, supplements, drink lots of water, eat "pretty" healthy, 7-8 hours of sleep/night, avoid stress

7. A current picture if you have one!
Please see siggy...

ETA: I was 46 when I started my hair journey.

Last edited:

Qtee

Age-36...started hair journey @ 34
2. Hair length-bsl
3. Hair health (any damage?)breakage here and there..I color treated my hair and overlapped the process a few times...blond then brown then dark brown then blond and now brown again..(light in the spring dark in the summer)..needless to say I baby my hair now
4. Relaxed or natural?-natural
5. Basic reggie including how long you stretch if you do. wash and detangle weekly..add leave in..either bun or shingle for the week. I may conditioner and leave it in over night then wash and detangle after..real basic routine
6. Any other factors you think contribute to your long hair ie. diet and exercise, does your mom have long hair, etc. -very low manipulation..very little heat..only detangle on wash days..

DesignerCurls

Nice thread OP!

1. Age 35 & wiser checking in! :grin:
36; started my hair journey around 32

2. Hair length 1" away from MBL (I think)

3. Hair health (any damage?) slight brittle ends due to dying tips
eta: I look forward to avoiding a large amount of old age hair related problems with a good regimen working from the inside out! :yep:

4. Relaxed or natural? Natural

5. Basic reggie including how long you stretch if you do. Wash, condition, protective style for the most part.

6. Any other factors you think contribute to your long hair ie. diet and exercise, does your mom have long hair, etc. Yes...healthy diet, exercise, & supplements

7. A current picture if you have one! Not yet

Last edited:

~~HoneyComb~~

Thanks sunnieb and Prudent1 for your comments :hug2:

I can understand how a woman's hair might possibly be effected in the late 30's and 40's because if you haven't experienced it yet, hormones around that age can get out of control and it will affect everyone differently---some it may be hair, some will experience body changes, mood changes---so much can happen and it will have you feeling out of control.

I've experienced some body changes in my mid-40's but fortunately my hair wasn't affected---I feel like I'm finally getting my body back in control after dealing with issues for the past couple of years.

ActionActress

1. Age----over 35

2. Hair length---- MBL but not fully.

3. Hair health (any damage?)---- naw, may need to clip ends a bit but no damage.

4. Relaxed or natural?---- Natural.

6. Any other factors you think contribute to your long hair ie. diet and exercise, does your mom have long hair, etc.----Exercise is very important, I noticed a pattern, if I get back to my workouts which includes cardio every a.m. my hair grows really fast. That's how I know I sat too long. lol. Diet---- lots of almonds. Sometimes I eat Nori sushi seaweed sheets.

Diva_Esq

1. Age - 36 years young! :D
2. Hair length- BSL going for WL then I may evaluate a run at HL, but WL is ideal!
3. Hair health (any damage?)- Not anymore now that I am on a regimen and living a health hair lifestyle!! Thank goodness!!
4. Relaxed or natural? 100% natural as of April 5, 2010... last relaxer May 2, 2009. :yay:
5. Basic reggie including how long you stretch if you do.- I cowash daily, pin up/ bun most days, some variation of WnG most days, deep condition once weekly, shampoo about once every 3 weeks, protein treat 2x a month, trim every 12-16 weeks.
6. Any other factors you think contribute to your long hair ie. diet and exercise, does your mom have long hair, etc.- I really pamper and baby my tresses!! :)

ojemba

Hi y'all 35 and over divas!!!

I'll be back with more details when I get to my computer

I'm 39, 40 in mar 2012
Ive been on my DIY HHJ for 16 months now.
Started just above apl, I'm currently bsl inching my way to mbl and beyond!!!!

janeemat

Every woman won't experience this, but hormones start doing a little shift after age 35. Also perimenopause could start at this time as well. Some ladies could start shedding their hair until the hormones are settled again. However diet, exercise and nutrition can help to combat this problem. Most ladies won't have to deal with this.there are a lot of ladies on this board that are still growing their hair just fine into their fifties and beyond.

How can you tell if it is hormones? I would like to know because my hair has gotten thinner as I stated earlier. It was much thicker when I started this journey. Is this something my GYN would have to tell me?

NJoy

Here I grow again!
1. Age ~ 44
2. Hair length ~ .5" to HL
3. Hair health (any damage?) ~ Generally healthy
4. Relaxed or natural? ~ Mostly texlaxed with bonelaxed ends
5. Basic reggie including how long you stretch if you do. ~ Cowash 2x wk, clarify monthly, DC weekly. In 2nd long stretch. Currently 26 wks post
6. Any other factors you think contribute to your long hair ie. diet and exercise, does your mom have long hair, etc. ~ Supplements, growth aids, protective styling.
7. A current picture if you have one! ~ My avatar was taken last week sporting Freetress Samara Girl as a protective style and my goal look.

Oh, and I started my hhj last year at age 43. My hair had never been past apl and is still fairly thick. No thinning (Thank You, Lord!)

infojunkie

Great Post OP! Lots of lovely ladies in this one!

1. 37
2. BSL (stretched)
3. Occassional SSK and ragged ends from puffing too long.
4. Natural
5. Co-wash as needed (if extra long add a little baking soda). Followed by cholesterol (5 min), then deep condition under hooded dryer, rinse in cold water, add leave in, detangle with Tangle Teaser and re-twist or cornrow (if cornrowing I have to blow dry with Silk Elements heat protectant). Water spritzes followed by EVCO daily. If protein treatment needed, bentonite clay mixed with half ACV and half water (maybe needed every 2-3 months). If I have to time to go all out I'll do an ayurvedic tea rinse once a month or so (prepoo with Amla and whatever other oils I have on hand overnight, steep 2 tsp of Amla and 1 tsp of Shikakai, let cool, rinse oil, bag for 30 min, rinse, proceed to deep conditioning...).
6. Always had thick, pretty hair just needed to stop abusing it and taking it for granted. Drink 6-8, 16.9 oz bottles of water daily, take multivitamin and iron supplement daily, minimize fast food and try to get in lots of veggies when I cook. I use healthier hair practices than I used to. Sleep in satin ALWAYS-even if napping on couch. Only use direct heat once a year for length checks. In a protective style 95% of the time. My two-strand twists have become my signature style. My hair likes to be left alone once I've cleaned and fed it. :yep:
7. The avi pic is a braid out (or was it a twist out :look:) from a couple months back...

ETA: Last relaxer 2/2008. Chopped relaxed ends 2/2009. Went back in May for another inch off. Only 2 trims and a dusting since then.

Last edited:

HarySituation

1. Age - 36 years young! :D
2. Hair length- BSL going for WL then I may evaluate a run at HL, but WL is ideal!
3. Hair health (any damage?)- Not anymore now that I am on a regimen and living a health hair lifestyle!! Thank goodness!!
4. Relaxed or natural? 100% natural as of April 5, 2010... last relaxer May 2, 2009. :yay:
5. Basic reggie including how long you stretch if you do.- I cowash daily, pin up/ bun most days, some variation of WnG most days, deep condition once weekly, shampoo about once every 3 weeks, protein treat 2x a month, trim every 12-16 weeks.
6. Any other factors you think contribute to your long hair ie. diet and exercise, does your mom have long hair, etc.- I really pamper and baby my tresses!! :)

Diva_Esq :wave: Omaha Represent! :drunk:

dyh080

I'm 54 and get compliments on how healthy and thick my hair looks. I have been on a health journey since my early 20s. Guess it is paying off.

Janet'

OT: Wow Janet. I've missed seeing you. I thought you were gone. Glad to see that you are still around.

faithVA!!! I've missed you guys so much! I had to take a hiatus for a moment, but I'm back!!! I'll bet I missed a bunch. Trying to catch up as we speak!!!

Gibsongal

How can you tell if it is hormones? I would like to know because my hair has gotten thinner as I stated earlier. It was much thicker when I started this journey. Is this something my GYN would have to tell me?

janeemat. Yes the best way to determine this is to have your GYN test your levels. I think some dermetolgist's perform this test as well. A lot of times, the derm would rx some biotin and or a topical treatment. GYN might want to put you on HRT. :yep:

faithVA

[USER=7460 said:
Janet'[/USER];14456359]@faithVA!!! I've missed you guys so much! I had to take a hiatus for a moment, but I'm back!!! I'll bet I missed a bunch. Trying to catch up as we speak!!!

Welcome back. The board as a whole, is even more wide open than when you left but some areas are more quiet. We seem to have lost quite a few members over the months. But if you missed anything, trust me some new activities are brewing. Just give it a day or two :lol:

janeemat

@faithVA!!! I've missed you guys so much! I had to take a hiatus for a moment, but I'm back!!! I'll bet I missed a bunch. Trying to catch up as we speak!!!

I was wondering what happened to you. I missed seeing you reply in many of the posts. Welcome back!

aa9746

Forgive me if this thread already exists. I recently turned 35 and have been on a hair journey for 2 years. Finally got it nailed and finally seeing results. But my concern is that just when I've started liking my hair for the first time ever it'll start to get bad due to age.

So if there are any ladies out there 35 and older with BSL or longer who don't mind outing themselves age wise lol please check in with the following. Thanks so much and God bless!

1. Age 36
2. Hair length mbl
3. Hair health (any damage?) healthy
4. Relaxed or natural? natural
5. Basic reggie including how long you stretch if you do. ps with wigs
6. Any other factors you think contribute to your long hair ie. diet and exercise, does your mom have long hair, etc. low manipulation, low to no heat
7. A current picture if you have one! siggy & fotki

Thanks so much ladies because I'm a little concerned so I'm hoping there's a bunch of you out there!

Sent from my PG86100 using PG86100

more pic. in fotki