Worse hair in the world!!??

UmSumayyah

Re: yeah i get to be different

Once again, cool heads prevail on this site! Long live the LHCF!
I would just like to say I'm sure we have all said, done, or thought things that we now look back on as "stupid" "ignorant" or just...."bammified". /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
The great thing about this forum is that most of the people most of the time can forgive each other just as much as we forgive ourselves.

kasey

Ms. Kenesha gave some great suggestions.

As black folks we all come from different walks of life. That is the great thing about our people, and this board. If you would like to learn more about different types of black culture or for anything, the members on the board are a great resource. There are folks here from just about every part of the country and even the U.K.

For example, I am young, and I think pretty cool if I say so myself, and but didn't know anything about Manolo Blahnik Timbs, or 50 cents and a whole bunch of other stuff that is part of "urban" culture until I became a member here. (Not saying that everyone here is "urban." We all bring our unique backgrounds to the table here and some folks who live in NYC know more hip hop culture and fashion than others.)

Other resources to widen your education about black women and black life, should you choose to pursue it, include magazines. Do you have access to Essence, Ebony, Ebony Man? Try to spend some time in the AA section of your local bookstore. Read the classics like Black Boy, Native Sun, Invisible Man, The Color Purple, Their Eyes Were Watching God. These are fiction books but can help widen your appreciation for both the diversity and the commonalities of black life and cuture.

If your total view of Black life is from televison, read Don't Believe the Hype, Fighting Cultural Misinformation about African-Americans by Farai Chideya. Read poems and literature by Amiri Baraka. Read novels by John Edgar Wideman. Read Bell Hooks. If you want a good read about black hair read The Life and Times of Madame C.J. Walker by A'Leila Bundles. (www.madamecjwalker.com)

Obviously you have the Internet, if you so a search I am sure that you will find a wealth of information on anything you would like to know.

Everyone is not born in the world knowing how to do cornrolls or comb coils, or two strand twists, or french braids, whether you are born in the projects or a white town of 5000 people. It is up to folks to seek out information and solutions to life's challenges.

Pumpkin

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
my hair was also relaxed at a young age and luckly it managed to grow past shoulder lenght because apperently god loves me more. seriously ive been told this by my mother an by my aunt i visited in NY last year. i have that good hair going on

[/ QUOTE ]

First let me say that I am not judging you, but the situation. I have had family members who have poked fun at my nappy 4b hair and I will admit that for a long time I developed a complex about this. The only way I was able to break free from this is by reading and taking classes on black culture. I think you should do the same because it has been the most rewarding thing for me. There are so many things to be proud of as a black woman, just look at our history. We are beautiful!!! creatures. Even if your hair was 4b like mine, would not take away from your beauty as a black woman. So do not be ashamed of your black sisters with tightly coiled hair (I am not saying that you are) because in the eyes of everyone else, regardless of the texture of our hair, we are still and always will be black first.

You know what? God blessed me with "good hair" not because of its texture but because it is strong, healthy and grows on a consistent basis.

If you would like, I can email you a list of wonderful black novels that would certainly enrich your understanding of black culture.

And also, marry for love because there is just too little of it. Don't worry about your child's hair but its health and the world it will grow up in.

Good Luck Sis /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Country gal

Emma,

My son's father parents were Black and Irish. My child has naturally curly hair. Please believe that his hair requires alot of work. He has tight curly hair and which tends to be dry. I put a lot of effort into keeping his hair nice. So don't think that having a baby with someone with "Good Hair" or other races means your child will have better hair than if you had a child by a black person. Same theory applies to color. Some people think having a baby by someone lighter or white will lighten up their child. God has a funny sense of humor and may give your child the characterics you may despise.

UmSumayyah

So do not be ashamed of your black sisters with tightly coiled hair (I am not saying that you are) because in the eyes of everyone else, regardless of the texture of our hair, we are still and always will be black first.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry but I have a real problem with this statement. You can be proud of black sisters because many of them are strong, and they are/can be beautiful, spiritual, and a whole lot of other great things.
Being proud <font color="blue"> because of what others will see</font> is hardly a positive reason, IMHO.

LondonDiva

sbaker said:
God has a funny sense of humor and may give your child the characterics you may despise.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pumpkin

I am sorry, I am at work and am typing too quickly. The intent of this statement was to be proud of the black women and your race as a show of solidarity NOT simply because someone is black. In stating that we are all black first refers to the way society sees us regardless of hair texture NOT that we should embrace all black people because there are those out there that do not merit it. I am not the type of person to support you because you have the same skin color as mine, but because your actions and personality deserve my praise.

I just meant instead of knocking women down who do not have "desirable features" show some support.

I hope this clears everything up.

pebbles

I understood what you meant. /images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks for clearing that up for everyone else, Pumpkin. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

moni

Passing by Nella Larsen is also a good book. It's about a woman who was light enough to "pass" as a white person in society. Takes place during a period of time when most blacks weren't much more than slaves. There is much more to the book than this simple plot that i just wrote however I think you'll like it. It brings up issues about color and hair. Just a suggestion.