Would anyone mind assessing the culprit in my breakage?

BlaqKitty

The products I use:
Trader Joes TTT/Nourish Spa interchangeable as my cowash
Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Condish as a Leave in the L
GVP Conditioning Balm as my Moisturizing DC or prepoo
Grapeseed Oil/Coconut oil mix as my O
Shea Moisture Curl enhancing Smoothie as my C

This is usually my weekly routine

Hair properties:
3c/4a
Very Coarse/thick strands
Very Dense hair Again like Nap85
Normal Porosity hair

So I've been having a bit of breakage out of nowhere, idk what I'm doing wrong I've always have breakage except when I had a TWA but this wash day I had more than usually... I usually don't worry because I have been retaining my length well. I strictly finger comb my hair.

What do you ladies think is the culprit in my regimen? Too much protein and not enough moisture? I did an aphogee treatment several monthIs ago and honestly I didn't notice a huge difference. I also henndigo... Last week I indigoed though and the batch I bought was extremely gritty and didn't rinse out well... Could that be it? Maybe I need to wash less. Also I normally only style my hair 1x a week.

I'd love some advice from the experts.

BlaqKitty

I used aphogee, and I think Nourish Spa and Curl enhancing smoothie both have protein in it.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Are you considering the sea kelp in both of those products protein? I know that sea kelp has protein like properties, but I'm not sure if they're softening or strengthening. Can you use a penetrating oil, such as, EVCO as your pre-poo in lieu of the GVP Conditioning Balm?

I'm tired so this may not come out right, but what kind of breakage do you have? Do you notice broken hair on your clothing? Is the breakage due to mechanical damage or your hair being dry?

BlaqKitty

I'm starting to think maybe my hair isn't moisturized enough, I don't know. I only see it on wash days when I'm doing my pre-detangling, and styling my hair...

I could stop using the GVP yeah. I'm thinking of trying out clay as my wash, just using my oils and shea butter mix and like acv rinses and aloe so I don't have to weed out ingredients.

Also, I think the shea moisture has silk protein.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Maybe, the ingredients that I Googled are incorrect. Do you DC following your henndigo treatments? Are you sure that it's not sheds from finger combing only?

BlaqKitty

Well it is a lot of sheds from a week of just letting my hair be plus I have a lot of hair, but I know I see some broken hairs in there as well... Not nearly as much as the sheds but enough for me to think I could possibly correct it.

I normally dc after my henndigo bc my hair doesn't really feel dry.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I think you're seeing the daily sheds that are being left behind as a result of only finger combing. Humans shed around 100 hairs a day.

BlaqKitty

Do you ever use shampoo at all? Maybe you.have some buildup from cowashing.

I have been on and off with cg method and shampooing. I went back to CG last month and my hair appears much better off and moisturized and i plan on sticking with it.

Ogoma

There is a wet hair test that you can do to determine where your hair is on the moisture-protein scale. I cannot remember the details. I think there might be a thread here that discusses it and if you google it you will get some results as well. I have read about it on divachyk's blog or read her comment on it. I am on my phone or I would have posted the link.

The protein in TJ TTT/Nourish Spa is not hydrolyzed. They rinse off your hair and wash down the drain so they don't count in keeping your hair in balance. Silk protein is a bit on the strengthening side for me, but it really more of a softening protein. I am not sure if it can take the place of a protein treatment.

Some things I notice when I need a protein treatment:
- hair is very weighed down when it is wet; it looks almost straight
- hair takes longer to dry; air drying can take days as opposed to 24 hours or so
- hair breaks easily when I touch it wet, but holds up better dry

Some things I have noticed when I need more moisture:
- dry hair snaps, crackles, and pops like crazy
- wet hair feels very elastic-y when wet; a rubbery sort of feel (not sure how else to describe it)

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I don't think the GVP is a deep conditioner. If it is compared to the Biolage, that conditioner is a rinse-out. You just need a better deep conditioner. You'd need to find a deep conditioner or mask (masque) so you get the balance back. I'm sure these ladies can give you some suggestions!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

BlaqKitty

Thank you all for your advice. :) I am going to do a protein treatment when I get home because I think that is what it needs.

What are good CG friendly deep conditioners?

Golden75

#NOMOREHAIRPRODUCTS
BlaqKitty - I saw a vid on YT where someone felt TJ TT was a source of their breakage. If I find the vid I'll link - it may have been LadyT

BlaqKitty

Yeah Golden I actually saw that but That's so weird as I've never had problems with. I'm going to try the protein treatment and then start weeding out my products.

hnntrr

Thank you all for your advice. :) I am going to do a protein treatment when I get home because I think that is what it needs.

What are good CG friendly deep conditioners?

I use 4 Naturals for a harder protein and Nubian heritage Morgin and EVOO for a lighter protein. Both CG friendly.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Thanks for the shout out Ogoma :yep: here's the link BlaqKitty. Sally's GVP conditioning balm is hydrating (for me) and can be used as a DCner but I prefer it as a rinse out, smoothing conditioner. A good conditioner that's available in store (Vitamin Shoppe, as an example) is Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose.