Wow! Looks Like Zahara Jolie-Pitt's Hair Has Been Causing Quite a Stir!

Stormy

I checked first, but only saw pics in the Entertainment Forum and comments mostly on those. What do you all think of Angelina having braids put in? When you read the article, do you think it's good advice, taking it too seriously, or what? Here's the article for those who haven't seen it:
http://www.thegrio.com/specials/lif...ebuts-braided-hair-extension-style.php?page=1

Zahara Jolie-Pitt's debut of a braided hair extension style on Tuesday caused quite a stir, stealing attention from the rest of the family as the brood took in Cirque du Soleil's Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour in Vegas. Zahara, whose hairstyles have made headlines since she was tiny, delighted style-watchers with her long braids draped over a chic camel coat. This stream-lined look is a big departure for a girl better-known for gravity-defying styles like puffy ponytails.
While Zahara's braided hairstyle debut is largely hailed as painfully cute, dark clouds of controversy have also gathered. Clutch magazine relates that the controversy over Zahara's new 'do pits those enraptured that Brangelina has finally tamed the girl's curls with extensions against others who believe braids are inappropriate for someone so young.
TheGrio spoke to black hair care expert Dr. Monte O. Harris to address these concerns. As an African-American doctor with an interest in cultivating the connection between healthy black hair care and self-esteem, he sees Zahara's braids in a positive light. Yet there are precautions that Pitt and Jolie must adhere to in order to keep their black child's hair healthy.
Pleased that Zaraha is not wearing a weave or relaxer -- something black parents often do to their small daughters -- Harris commented that: "If she had a weave, or if she had a relaxer, I would be dong backflips about how bad that is."
But Zahara's braids? "I think she looks great," the doctor commended. "But then there is the question of the use of extensions -- you have to be careful with that. There is the question of how tight the braids are, particularly in the front along the hairline and the temple."
It is a highly common mistake for clients to accept painful braids as a necessary evil of the style. But to the contrary: "The critical thing is that when she gets braids done," Harris said about Zahara, "is that they should not be so tight that she feels discomfort. It shouldn't be painful."
Dr. Harris also said that braids with extensions are not necessarily the best approach. "It shouldn't be just braids with extensions," he elaborated. "There are other ways of doing her hair braided that don't require synthetic hair."
Another essential aspect of the healthy wearing of braids is switching hairstyles and not wearing braids too often. "She should have braids for a period of time, and then she should do something that has no traction -- a style that celebrates her own natural curl pattern," the doctor warned.
Pulling caused by braids with extensions and weaves worn for many years can cause traction alopecia -- a condition that 59% of black women suffer from. Traction alopecia is caused by damage to the hair follicles from repeatedly wearing styles that tug on the shafts leading to permanent baldness.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I could not see the pics, but I personally do not like fake hair on kids..

Braids included.

Stormy

Here's page two and the rest of the article:
http://www.thegrio.com/specials/lif...ebuts-braided-hair-extension-style.php?page=2

In Dr. Harris' estimation, Pitt and Jolie are doing the right things to protect Zahara from this danger. "She's worn her hair natural, she's explored some of her natural curl patterns apparently, and then had braids," he detailed. By alternating styles and not repetitively using extensions, stress on Zahara's follicles will be minimized.

In addition to protecting her scalp, exploring these natural hair options might help Zahara develop a positive black identity.
"For anyone, and in this case Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, you have to look at a person in terms of their beauty, their health," Dr. Harris said, "and how these things align with their life purpose, and their identity."
By giving Zahara a variety of styles that enhance a connection to her African heritage, her parents are helping her feel good about herself through her beauty choices, whether her hair is "wild" (according to naysayers), or groomed in a controlled manner with braids.
"Braids are a [black] cultural style that resonates from ancient times," Dr. Harris said. Thus braids -- with or without extensions -- can help Zahara develop good feelings about being black in a world in which African-American girls often suffer from a lack of self-esteem caused by feeling excluded from the prevalent beauty standard.
In this way, choosing Afrocentric hairstyles addresses concerns many have about the ability of white parents to help their black adoptive children maintain a positive connection to their cultures of origin. Angelina and Brad just need to follow the doctor's advice to make sure Zahara wears her braided hair extensions in a healthy way.
"We tend to look at things as if this is just a hairstyle, instead of a lifestyle," Harris said of the hair care-positive identity connection. "We need to look at things in a holistic way."

Interesting...

naturalmanenyc

BlkOnyx488

I bet Zahara asked for the braids, and we all know Angelina is extrememly into letting her children be the way they want to be Zahara has always been a very girlie girl while her sister Shiloh, is a total Tom Boy. At least it's braids done in a cute girl style and not a Lace Front wig.

Maybe Ange came on LHCF and learned about protective styling

For all we know that's the baby's real hair in braids the people writing this article may not understand what shrinkage is and how natural hair stretches out:grin:

Last edited:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Oh that looks like its her hair (in the before vs after pic)

How do they know that those are extensions.

I don't see what all the "stir" is about.

PrissiSippi

Simply Komplex
I really could care less if it's braided or not. Just as long as it's healthy and she is healthy. Man look at her eyes and bone structure...she is going to be GORGEOUS when she grows up

Stormy

That's a good point BlkOnyx488 and yaya24! :scratchch I didn't think of that. It could be her hair. It has been awhile.

Tiye

This is a non-story. The braids are huge, which means she didn't have to sit that long to get them and they weren't designed to stay in for more than a few days. At her age she's old enough to be curious about hairstyles - a lot of little girls are - and might have asked to try them. She's too young to be a braid addict or to end up with a hairline at her ears. So no biggie.

prettypithy

Personally, I thought that article was crazy and based on the author feeling some sort of way about transracial adoption. Black people do this with kids ALL THE TIME. We're not talking about putting a weave on an 18 month old here. Utter, utter non-issue.

niqu92

i dont see anything wrong with putting braid extensions on kids.i got braid extensions twice a year from the time i was 6 up until highschool and my hair has always been long and healthy *shrugs*

Saga

The Generous Queen
They are going hard, in my opinion. With all the parents out here perming their child's hair at 3 yrs old? Yea, zahara's extension braids are definitely not even something I'd give a second thought about. I could understand if she always wore back to back extensions, or maybe if they were micro-braids. But they're feed-in cornrows. Good to give the hair a break from styling, I say.

Stormy

They are going hard, in my opinion. With all the parents out here perming their child's hair at 3 yrs old? Yea, zahara's extension braids are definitely not even something I'd give a second thought about. I could understand if she always wore back to back extensions, or maybe if they were micro-braids. But they're feed-in cornrows. Good to give the hair a break from styling, I say.

I agree, a bit extreme IMO.

southerncitygirl

if the braids were really small or too tight, i'd be concerned but she looks cute to me. :) i think as long as its not a constant hairstyle she'll be fine.i lurve that child, i think she's adorable, she gets prettier and prettier!!!

Louisex3

Pulling caused by braids with extensions and weaves worn for many years can cause traction alopecia -- a condition that 59% of black women suffer from.

really? :s

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Either a clueless white or black person wrote this. I'm sorry, but Zahara's hair has looked tore up so many times. This is the first time I've seen it look good. As for extensions and her age...I give it the side eye. Most kids now a days wear them and hopefully someone with hair knowledge did them.:ohwell:

Khaiya

celebrity status is a curse, nobody is running behind all mothers that are putting braids, wigs and relaxers on daughters 3 years old and up, even if Angelina doesnt know what to do with Zahara's hair and opted for braids for that reason so wat? i know at lot of moms personally that head for the relaxer at very young ages cause they cant manage either.

Cherokee-n-Black

Even though I have issues with putting fake hair on children (sending a message that their real hair is not "enough" or not "good enough" along with the potential damage) I still think this is a bunch of nothin'. I was expecting to see something remarkable, either good or bad. That style is none of the above.

LaFemmeNaturelle

Even though I have issues with putting fake hair on children (sending a message that their real hair is not "enough" or not "good enough" along with the potential damage) I still think this is a bunch of nothin'. I was expecting to see something remarkable, either good or bad. That style is none of the above.

That is not always the case. My mother always braided my hair with extensions because my hair would get frizzy within 2 days and still does. It is a major time saver to use braid extensions because they last for weeks and still look neat. Not many mothers have time to style their children's hair daily and I know I definitely did not want to be sent to school with frizzy braids. Has nothing to do with my hair not being good enough and there was nothing damaging about it. I wouldn't dare twist/braid my hair without extensions today because it would be a waste of time. And I know my hair is the bomb:lol:

Last edited: