Y'all Remember The Mama That Went All Out For Her Son's Prom? Well..it's Her Daughter's Turn Now.

DeepBluSea

Ok. So I didn't realize this was the same lady. I started following her on after some cooking thing she posted was shared.

Anyway, I don't be counting folks money, but she was just talking about things being donated to her after she had surgery a few weeks ago. I think her daughter had a prom before this one and the hair, dress, makeup etc were donated.

Looking at her IG, the tag leads me to believe she's doing this for different kids in the neighborhood.

Yeah it looks like she started a fundraiser to help kids get hair/nails/suits/dresses. While I think it’s quite frivolous, everyone deserves to feel special at least once in their live. An escape from the inner city.

But with all the money they spent, they could have gotten some red carpet for the steps. Lol.

bellatiamarie

Menina Preta

There's an article about prom culture in the Philadelphia Inquirer. In it, this woman says she sponsors different children. I'm not sure if this is her actual daughter.

Anyways, their home looks mad hood. @DeRay summed it up perfectly - three little dirty steps. Like it looked like a block on The Wire. It's really sad that prom is seen as this huge achievement in certain communities. Have a neighborhood BBQ, but all the costumes, dancers, the backdrop, fancy cars, dress changes, etc. look so dangon stupid. Period.

Menina Preta

I think every child should have a nice prom and anyone can have a nice prom for under 1K, including limo. Spending 30K and up on a prom is not a good use of money. 30K is like half a downpayment on certain properties in Philly...it's a year of tuition at certain schools...It's great the businesses are donating, but 5K for just one child to go to a prom is excessive to me.

DeRay

I think every child should have a nice prom and anyone can have a nice prom for under 1K, including limo. Spending 30K and up on a prom is not a good use of money. 30K is like half a downpayment on certain properties in Philly...it's a year of tuition at certain schools...It's great the businesses are donating, but 5K for just one child to go to a prom is excessive to me.

It's my understanding that you can still buy houses for under a 100k in Philly so 30k is a more than adequate down payment.

tuftsofcotton

There's so much wrong here. Like, so many things that can be read as representations of systemic and wide-ranging ills
- extravagant, consumerist, "kids acting grown in the wrong way" prom culture. Prom is not an achievement. And the fact that it is being elevated as such speaks volumes about the larger society.
- Wakanda escapist mentality from the literal hood. We all want some form of escapism but this is the just the current pop culture extension of the delusional, needy "we wuz Kings and queens" mentality. What makes it even more interesting that many of the AAs who made the movie such a success and are so emotionally invested in it don't pick up on the dynamics at play. If this woman and her daughter showed up at Wakanda's front door, they would not be welcome as they're the type of people wakandans world prefer to help with a 10-foot pole. I think for this family, it's mostly just a cute fairytale theme…but there is larger symbolism in how the film exists in the AA collective imagination. And the particular stains of escapism that some seek out.
- putting all that effort and money into this short-lived day when there are so many more, higher ROI opportunities that could be invested in as others noted. (and maybe the woman, who is a business owner, is indeed investing in other opps behind the scenes.) one side of me sees the personal failure of responsibility here and the other sees the systemic failure that's an intentional product of govt, big business and social engineering. It encourages hopelessness in the things that matter and a misguided, infantile hopefulness in the symbolic, conspicuous things that don't.

So I'm left asking, to what end? What is the point of this? "feeling like a fairytale" to whom and for whom?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
It seems like she works with a lot of local businesses to put on these events.
Is that 'Martin' in the photo looking crossed-eyed? I PROMISE I'm not throwing shade about the eyes. It's just that 'Martin' does things like that, at least he did in his show years ago with 'Gina' and em'. I'm so serious with the question. Ya'll know me. . :look:

Evolving78

There's so much wrong here. Like, so many things that can be read as representations of systemic and wide-ranging ills
- extravagant, consumerist, "kids acting grown in the wrong way" prom culture. Prom is not an achievement. And the fact that it is being elevated as such speaks volumes about the larger society.
- Wakanda escapist mentality from the literal hood. We all want some form of escapism but this is the just the current pop culture extension of the delusional, needy "we wuz Kings and queens" mentality. What makes it even more interesting that many of the AAs who made the movie such a success and are so emotionally invested in it don't pick up on the dynamics at play. If this woman and her daughter showed up at Wakanda's front door, they would not be welcome as they're the type of people wakandans world prefer to help with a 10-foot pole. I think for this family, it's mostly just a cute fairytale theme…but there is larger symbolism in how the film exists in the AA collective imagination. And the particular stains of escapism that some seek out.
- putting all that effort and money into this short-lived day when there are so many more, higher ROI opportunities that could be invested in as others noted. (and maybe the woman, who is a business owner, is indeed investing in other opps behind the scenes.) one side of me sees the personal failure of responsibility here and the other sees the systemic failure that's an intentional product of govt, big business and social engineering. It encourages hopelessness in the things that matter and a misguided, infantile hopefulness in the symbolic, conspicuous things that don't.

So I'm left asking, to what end? What is the point of this? "feeling like a fairytale" to whom and for whom?
This man I know gave out free backpacks, school supplies and reading books to the children in his community. It was generous and helpful!