You have been natural for X+ years.. and you have just found out...

Anavrin

1. That alot of ladies are actually texturized, which explains why they can do wash n gos and look fabulous whereas I resemble Buckwheat.:lachen:

2. Your regimen shouldnt be the same when your natural then when youre relaxed.

...Yeah thats about it for now...

Last edited:

kandake

I've been natural for a year and a half. Two months ago I found out that I like braidouts better than twistouts.

SherylsTresses

As fo rme, scrubbing my scalp with conditioner while frequently cowashing keeps dandruff away. Just simply using conditioner.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I've been natural for 6+ years, and I've just found out that I can probably use heat in my regimen without causing a setback. However, I'll use the heat sparingly.

JBunnie

I've been natural for 5 years now and I'm just now learning how to deal with my curls. When I first stopped relaxing my hair I just bought a really hot flat iron and straightened my hair all the time because I didn't know what else to do. (and I had a coworker who was transitioning and she was doing the same thing) When products such as Kinky Curly and Curls got introduced into the market my mommy bought some products for her hair and I tried some, but I wasn't washing and applying properly, plus I bet my hair was pretty heat damaged, so I wasn't getting results I wanted. So I figured *** it and kept straightening. Since I started visiting blogs, this forum, YouTube and I found my stylist I have learned so much in such a short amount of time, and my hair reflects all that I've learned.

Some of the key things I've learned are:
Finger detangling, gentle combing, just being gentle with my hair over all, cowashing, the importance of sectioning, pre pooing, the wonders of coconut oil, protein/moisture balance, product layering, and training my hair to curl.

That just scratches the surface but that's all I have right now

freshlikemoi

Great Thread!!!

I've been natural for 2 years (give or take) and I'm just realizing that product is everything. I need product to achieve the curls/looks that I'm going for. I'm forever grateful to the kinky/curly custard. I have NEVER seen my hair behave this way, I have so many waves and curls and it's just so beautiful to see having 4B texture!

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
3 years natural.

Blowing out my hair 1x a month actually works well for my hair.

Also with my fine strands, trimming my hair 1-2xs a year is a recipe for disaster.
My hair is doing well with quarterly trims.

Aviah

I've been natural 5 years this year, and just figured out:
-How to twist and braid out properly
-How to flat iron without it poofing so easily
-How to moisturize while flat ironed
-How to stretch my hair through "rolling and pinning"
-How to keep my ends in check by dusting at the right intervals as to not lose much length or get haircuts

This year's been a real hair shift for me... Loved it before but I'm really loving all the versatility now.

OK... I have been natural for about 2 a half years now.. and I just found out that a wash and go was not really a wash and go... Why didn't someone tell me that after you wash with the conditioner... apply gel??? Now that I understand what a wash and go is.. it is my go to style and I haven't had any fray ends...

Anything you have found out after being natural for some time?

Weird, cos same thing has happened to me very recently, as I've only just realised how I can do a nearly decent wash and go when I incorporate some good gel into it :yep:

JBunnie

I've been natural 5 years this year, and just figured out:

-How to keep my ends in check by dusting at the right intervals as to not lose much length or get haircuts

This year's been a real hair shift for me... Loved it before but I'm really loving all the versatility now.

Can you please elaborate on the bold ones?

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
I've been natural for just over 2 years and I just figured out that:

Sealing is not a waste of time. My ends do feel and look better.

Being hair lazy is okay.

I really don't miss having straight hair.

That wacky patch in the front is always going to be there.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I've been natural for 6 years and I've just discovered that I think my hair likes finger combing and that separating my hair into 4 sections and working on one section at a time really does improve my results (instead of working on one whole half of my head at a time). Should've figured this out a looong time ago. :blush:

I've always liked trying new products (while trying not to be a PJ). But apparently, I got set in my ways regarding technique quite a while ago. I'm just now revising somethings in my routine to see if they can be done better.

I'm doing the same. My length came to a stand still so I'm tweaking some things. Also working on thickness. I've been experimenting w/finger combing lately as well. It's time consuming but so far so good. I feel like i'm keeping so much more hair on my head.

Austro-Afrikana

I've got 4 years worth of natural hair and only just realised that not trimming my hair could be holding my retention back, no matter how often I protective style or moisturise and seal. I need to start trimming or dusting my hair maybe every 3 months.

ManiiSweetheart

Fully Natural for 1 year and.. 2 months and i Just figured out that i hate completely dry braidouts or twistouts ...and i LOVE when they are still damp when undoing it... looks soooo much better

Last edited:

beanie44

I have been natural since 2004, and I finally accepted that finger combing will keep more hair attached to my scalp.

All oils are not good to use in your hair, I broke out 4 months ago, I eliminated everything until I figured out it was the Hot 6 oil breaking my neck and face out, still trying to even my face out I looked like I had freckles or liver spots where I broke out.

Lita

Fully natural for a couple of years..My ends like a lot of oil..My hair likes pomades/coffee based products for fall/winter & tea,honey,banana,bamboo products for spring/summer..Ceramides year round..

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

luckiestdestiny

THat I might have a b patch in the middle of my head that's about 4 inches by two inches and the rest is 4a. How in the world did I not know this until now? It's hard to see as I have to pull it to the front but it doesn't seem to have a curl pattern at all upon looking at it. I mean can 4a change to 4b is that possible? Is it the medication is that possible? Or have I just been living in another world? I have tried to moisturize the heck out of that part so that it can stay as long and kee p growing with the rest and so far so good but it's just stumped me that I didn't notice it before. I just thought the area was "denser" (more hair per area) than other areas of my head and that's all.:spinning:

Arian

Loc'ing Up!
Been natural almost 2 years and discovered that my hair can change its tune quite often..I have discovered that my hair no longer likes glycerin...that applying products to damp hair really is the key... and that protein is my hair's best friend...in moderation...I have also just discovered that all butters are not bad...my hair just doesn't like or play well with shea butter...

Aviah

Can you please elaborate on the bold ones?

JBunnie,

I used to try to do these on hair that wasn't stretched, and do them too tightly at the root. This would make it look shrunken and thin. My hair doesn't have a lot of volume naturally, so they would look "gappy". Please see pics for how they look now.

I used to just try what everyone else was doing with DCing and adding serum and just flat ironing. My hair still needs a leave-in and thus the serum, and heat make it very dry and frizzy. See my flat iron pic for what they tend to look like these days.

I learned from a youtuber that if you mix serum, a small amount of water-based leave-in and (for me) a touch of coconut oil and apply it mainly to my ends and wrap it up securely right after it does me well for the week.

For this I don't have any pics, but it was partly inspired by Naptural85's "Best Twistout Ever" video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruRGEe3DfOY
However, instead of actually flat twisting, I twist it like a single strand twist (like how you roll your hair after putting it in a ponytail, but just before bunning) then pinning across the head like Naptural 85. Keeping this in until its dry with a leave-in after washing helps to give me that blown out look when brushed out.

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0038.JPG
    IMG_0038.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Ogoma

I have been fully natural for a year and in that time I have figured out:

- what a wonderful resource this site (and the women on it) are!
- no style will hamper my retention, it is all in how I handle my hair
- my hair is wiry and gets stripped easily; shampoo is not my friend
- my hair thrives on water rinsing & conditioning, co-washing, and mud/clay washes
- my scalp likes to be left alone; no oils, conditioners, or anything topically applied
- my hair loves coconut oil, but my skin does not; the skin will win every time
- my hair likes lighter oils and the LOC method works well for me
- I can get away with trimming 2x a year
- my hair is very easy to manage; I just needed to stop trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

longhairdreaming

I've been natural more years than I was ever relaxed but I've been purposefully natural for 10 years. I've finally in the past 6 months learned that my hair likes two things
A-being braided up and left alone for weeks at a time
B-daily cowashing and oiling (my version of moisturizing and sealing)

springy_curly

I've been natural for 4 years and I just realized that it is possible to lay down my edges! All I needed was curls curl control paste, a soft boar brush, and a silk scarf. I have been stunting the last few days!

Vintagecoilylocks

I've been natural for 6 years and I've just discovered that I think my hair likes finger combing and that separating my hair into 4 sections and working on one section at a time really does improve my results (instead of working on one whole half of my head at a time). Should've figured this out a looong time ago. :blush:

I've always liked trying new products (while trying not to be a PJ). But apparently, I got set in my ways regarding technique quite a while ago. I'm just now revising somethings in my routine to see if they can be done better.

Just have too say I really love your hair.

I have been natural since 1996 and i just in the past year discovered washing in twists and braids. All the hours of detangling I could have saved. My daughter has 2b hair and has seen me struggle and now she says she is amazed as too how fast I do my hair and how long my hair is. :spinning:

SimJam

I've been natural for 13 years and just realized the wonders of pure undiluted aloe vera juice/gel spritz!

this is exactly what I was coming in here to say. Id tried it mixed with other products (kimmaytube LI) and as a base for tea spritzes but ... plain avj is my holy grail .... eliminated bushy tangly ends and subsequent breakage and leave my hair moisturized for days.

2 years natural and Im just finding out the awesomeness of avj !!!!!!