Your Bible...

La Colocha

I have the new beliver's bible , the new living translation by tyndale. It was given to me by a minister. I like it because its easy to read and there are sections that answer questions that you may have and how you can apply scripture to everday life. It also has colored tabs for all the books in the bible so they are easy to find. I really like it.

goldielocs

I use the Women of Faith Study Bible (NIV) and a version called The Scriptures.

I've had my NIV study bible since I got serious about my relationship with God and it's marked up with notes and highlighted all over the place. I use that one as a diary of sorts. I love to read through my notes and see how I've grown through the years. I like the NIV because it's easier for me to understand than the King James Version. I will literally fall asleep trying to read the KJV.

My other bible, The Scriptures, is a new addition. I like it because it is a version of the bible that uses Hebrew and Greek names and it also uses the Tetragrammation of the Creator's and the Messiah's name throughout the scripture. As I've gotten older, I've found that I am more fundamental than most. I don't care to read various versions of the Word anymore. Once I realized the mistake made in the KJV where the word easter is used instead of passover, I became disheartened with the whole thing and began looking for a version which was as close as possible to the original text. So far, this one is it for me.

I don't mean to spark a whole conversation about the KJV of the Bible. I know and respect that many hold it near and dear to their heart. My grandmother almost bit my head off when I mentioned my concerns to her.

Peace and blessings

zanna

I read my Bible in French because it's my native language. It's weird because I read in English very well, It's that I have a better closeness(intimacy) when I read it in French than English. I hope I can express what I can really feel about it here! It's only with the Bible that I do that, I read many other books in English no problem and I am a fast reader!

:look: when I quote the Bible here I look it up first in French then quote the verses in English! I don't need translation when I read, it's just that I feel more comfortable doing it that way.
Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

The French Version that I have is " Version Louis Second" and the English Version is King James.
I also have a NIV Bible and the Complete Jewish Bible for comparison purposes.

Zanna

Chrissy811

The Living Bible and the NASB. Sorry I didn't read this all the way through.

The Living Bible because it breaks things down to plain language and sometimes it helps me get the point quicker.

The NASB because that is the more traditional version of bible that I like.

Last edited:

Livingmylifetothefullest

Precious Moments Bible - New King James Version; my grandfather brought this for me when I was a teen and I use it to this day.

Last edited:

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Ladies can I ask what version of the Bible you are using? Also why did you choose to use that particular version?

New American Bible
New Jerusalem Bible
Conservative Siddur
JPS Tanakh (I think it will become the family history bible)
RCC Catechism for commentary and Church Law

I cannot CANNOT King James anything. I just get frustrated and walk away but I so admire people who can comprehend and relish it. I have enough trouble understanding the New Testament and didn't need King James 'this and thou, doest" in my ears....urgh! Sounds like Beowulf to me. I have such an aversion to it..since childhood.

Last edited:

♥Lamaravilla♥

New American Bible
New Jerusalem Bible
Conservative Siddur
JPS Tanakh (I think it will become the family history bible)
RCC Catechism for commentary and Church Law

I cannot CANNOT King James anything. I just get frustrated and walk away but I so admire people who can comprehend and relish it. I have enough trouble understanding the New Testament and didn't need King James 'this and thou, doest" in my ears....urgh! Sounds like Beowulf to me. I have such an aversion to it..since childhood.

Lol I use the New King James translation and that version has eliminated all those obsolete words so it is much easier to read and comprehend :yep:

shinyblackhair

I use the KJV and the NIV and also the ESV (English Standard Version). All very good versions. Occasionaly I'll look up a verse in the Amplified.

Renovating

Aspire NIV The New Women of Color Study Bible

I love it. It's easy for me to read, because it outlines stories in the bible that I can relate to. It has short simple prayers throughout that remind me that I don't have to pray like an eloquent prophetess for God to hear me.

Examples of these prayers:
Lord, thank you for the gift of eternal life. Make me, along with your other waiting children ready at a moment's notice to receive your final miracle. Amen
I Kings 2:1-3

My God,
I need your strength to keep going. Renew me and grant me the will and resolve to continue pressing on in the power of your name. Amen. 2Kings 6:11-16

It also has reading guides in the back. 30 days for beginning your walk with Christ, 30 days of God's promises, 30 stories of great faith, etc.

Last, but not least, it has sections in each chapter entitled The African Presence. The presence of Africans in biblical times is identified in this section.

Essensual

Lol I use the New King James translation and that version has eliminated all those obsolete words so it is much easier to read and comprehend :yep:

...you took the words right out of my mouth. Been using NKJV since college, when I switched from NIV.:yep:
(But I still love the KJV too...)

ETA: Forgot to mention: I also enjoy the Amplified and The Message, but don't own either...yet.

OhmyKimB

Life Application NIV

I use NIV because that's all we were allowed to use in school so that's what I'm used to and with KJV OR NKJV I lose the translation or the meaning...other times I gain more meaning then with NIV.

I don't neccessary like other verisons because I'm not used to them...and I don't know what research went into changing the words and if meanings are lost or not. I was reading a friends Remix Message bible and some passages lost their meaning to me.

yodie

My main bible is the King James/New Living Translation parallel version.

Right now I'm reading the Message bible from beginning to end and I read my daily devotions in the NIV version. I also have several other versions. The Living Bible is another favorite.

rickysrose

I have a metal Battlezone Bible that's ESV that I carry around with me for daily reading/reference. For memorizing I love love love the KJV.

I listen to James Earl Jones and the Inspired By audiobooks, I think they're both KJV.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my New King James Version, Matthew Henry Commentary Bible. That bible puts all the other 30-ish bibles at our home to shame. The notes are amazing and make what is being said so clear. I get distracted reading the notes during service sometimes.

comike

I have a parallel bible with the KJV, NIV and NLT. My favorite version is the NLT (New Living Translation).

SvelteVelvet

KJV and NLT. Mostly NLT now because I just picked up my own personal copy a few weeks ago. I'll carry the KJV to church to read along. The NLT is for my personal study.

blazingthru

I have the amplified, the NIV (which I no longer read) the King James, the New King James, the New living. the Jewish bible, The message, NSB. the journey bible, the Promise bible, new centry, the parallel bibles atleast three or four. I have the bible on CD four versions. I think I have 30 bibles in all. I also have it on DVD for the computer in which case that would be more then I bothered to check, I like them all I only keep three with me King James, New living testament and New King James. King James being most accurate, New living to break some of it down. i think my brain gets tired after reading King James so I do not read it I go to it for clarification and then back to New Living or New king for understanding. NIV is missing a lot please if you have one get a New King James and compare, you will see much is missing in the NIV.

comike

I have the amplified, the NIV (which I no longer read) the King James, the New King James, the New living. the Jewish bible, The message, NSB. the journey bible, the Promise bible, new centry, the parallel bibles atleast three or four. I have the bible on CD four versions. I think I have 30 bibles in all. I also have it on DVD for the computer in which case that would be more then I bothered to check, I like them all I only keep three with me King James, New living testament and New King James. King James being most accurate, New living to break some of it down. i think my brain gets tired after reading King James so I do not read it I go to it for clarification and then back to New Living or New king for understanding. NIV is missing a lot please if you have one get a New King James and compare, you will see much is missing in the NIV.

I wouldn't say the KJV is more accurate and I haven't found that the NIV is missing anything. Both are translations of the original text (as opposed to the paraphrased Message and Living Bible). What have you found to be missing from the NIV? I'm curious to know.

HeChangedMyName

I uses New Century Version--It is very easy to read and understand in plain terms but without going too modern and removing the beauty of the scriptures

King James Verson--Because it is probably the most authentically translated, contrary to worldly belief

Holman Christian Standar--It is a happy medium between the two aforementioned versions. I love it.

Contemporary English Version--I use this often when I am looking for the simplest terms to explain to someone who may not have lots of practice with the Bible.

I usually use all of these at once and cross reference with my Strongs Concordance in order to get a full understanding.

HeChangedMyName

I agree

Here is a start for explaining why King James is so accurate. I learned about this in a theology class in much more detail. I was surprised myself.

MizzBrown

I agree

Here is a start for explaining why King James is so accurate. I learned about this in a theology class in much more detail. I was surprised myself.

Hey, that is very interesting. All the corrections and revisions in plain view. IMO, i dont believe that EVERYTHING gets lost in translation. Translation made me read the bible. I gained something from it.

I love my New Living Translation. Just like GV-NA i had a very strong aversion to anything King James since childhood and refused to read it.

Also realized that many adults don't know how to interpret it either because I would ask as a child and they would get just as frustrated. It's worse when you dont have a pastor to help you interpret it either and he just reads verbatim with no explaination or comparison of events in 2009.

I remember when a Pastor challenged us. He asked us to read a verse in our King James Bible and asked us what it meant. Half the pew had it WRONG. He corrected the elders and all. All those years we saw the text but did not fully understand it.

Mamita

Back to basics
Original King James Version from 1611 ALL THE WAY ONLY AND FOR EVER

I cannot give all the exemples of when i compared and saw one word changed and a whole idea was changed. I am not kidding.

Also if you wanna learn about someone shouldn't you go to the first book that mentionned him? in english it would be this one. It was frustrating at first and english is NOT my first language lol but now it's just beautiful, i was frustrated for what one month? or so? it's so worth it

Also i looked up the 2 famous french bibles and now it's just totally ridiculous, louis Segond and le pecheur or some like that, ugh terrible. there's on the net one called french king james, simple and perfect so far.

Rev 22 : 18: For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

And yet... hundreds of interpretations exist, i saw a "troubled teenager bible" SMHHH all that does is give wrong tools to people and will keep them from salvation. Satan at his best. Humans are like that, they do what they're not supposed to and will say it's good even if it's written black on white. shrug

And THIS is my opinion

Respectfully

Prudent1

Ladies can I ask what version of the Bible you are using? Also why did you choose to use that particular version?

I have 3 main bibles.
My primary bible is a KJV Scofield. I sometimes use my TBN parallel bible and I also have an Archeological Study Bible. I chose them b/c I like the ability to reference different things at certain times. The way I process information, it helps me to retain if I can understand the history around events. That helps b/c the customs of the times are sometimes tricky to understand when compared with our present day customs.

blazingthru

(Matthew 18:11 NKJV) For the Son of Man has come to save that which was lost.
(Matthew 18:11 KJV) For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.
(Matthew 18:11 NIV) deleted
NIV deletes entirely, while NASB brackets it as probably not in original text. Why delete this verse? Perhaps if you believe (as Westcott) we’re all true Christs and don’t have need of salvation.
(Matthew 25:13 NKJV) Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.
(Matthew 25:13 KJV) Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
(Matthew 25:13 NIV) Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.
That’s a bizarre one. Why would I keep watch if I don’t know what time it was? But it’s not the time, it’s the time of Jesus’ return you don’t know. Jesus taught to always be on the lookout for His return — it can come anytime.
(Mark 2:17 NKJV) When Jesus heard it, He said to them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance.”
(Mark 2:17 KJV) When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
(Mark 2:17 NIV) On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
Another fun one. Jesus didn’t come to call the righteous, but sinners. For what? An invitation to dinner? To Saturday’s football game? (NASB contains similar edit to NIV).
(Acts 8:37 NKJV) Then Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” And he answered and said, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”
(Acts 8:37 KJV) And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
(Acts 8:37 NIV) deleted
If you didn’t believe Jesus was God, you certainly wouldn’t want it in your text so you delete it. NASB brackets as not in original text.
(Ephesians 3:9 NKJV) and to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ;
(Ephesians 3:9 KJV) And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
(Ephesians 3:9 NIV) and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things.
NIV has God creating all things, NOT Jesus — which you wouldn’t want to say if you accept Gnostic heresy. Here Westcott-Hort directly contradict Paul in Colossians 1:16-17 who attributes creation to Jesus. In Colossians 1:17, Paul even states Jesus holds the atoms of the universe together. (NASB contains similar edit to NIV).
(1 Peter 4:1 NKJV) Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind, for he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin,
(1 Peter 4:1 KJV) Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
(1 Peter 4:1 NIV) Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body, arm yourselves also with the same attitude, because he who has suffered in his body is done with sin.
Jesus didn’t just suffer, he suffered and died for us. NASB with similar edit to NIV.
(Revelation 11:17 NKJV) saying: “We give You thanks, O Lord God Almighty, The One who is and who was and who is to come, Because You have taken Your great power and reigned.
(Revelation 11:17 KJV) Saying, We give thee thanks, O Lord God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned.
(Revelation 11:17 NIV) saying: “We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign.
Denying the return of Jesus. (NASB similar to NIV).
In these few examples, you can see how Westcott-Hort personal theology (or lack thereof) influenced their compilation of the Greek text. Some of these changes contradict other areas of the Bible, while others make no sense at all. Since the inerrant Word of God contains no errors, it must be Westcott-Hort making the mistakes.