Your favorite Women of the Bible

JinaRicci

Some of them weren't even named but they inspire us all the same. So... who is your favorite? Or if you can't choose one, your top 3? :)

Mine are:

1) The little servant girl who witnessed to Naaman because she was so brave and so strong in her faith at such a young age.

2) Jael-I was saving this name for my daughter but maybe not. Still I like her because she was 'all woman' and smart- she knew how to use her strengths.

3) Dorcas (Tabitha)- she was self-less and in caring for others a great witness for God.

Who are your favorites?

janaq2003

Hannah- she was so patient and showed self-control though she could not have children and was taunted by Penninah. We she was finally able to have a child, she sent him to worship Jehovah.

GodsPromises

The Credit Countess
Rahab - In Rahab we see that God can and will use anyone, no matter what your present or past is. Rahab was a harlot but yet she still believed in the God Almighty enough to risk her own life to help his people out. Not only that but because of her belief and good will she was able to save her entire family from destruction. For her believing she became part of the line of David. She became David's great grandmother. You see we look at the outer God looks at the inner and Rahab truly shows us that.

Crown

Mary : the mother of JESUS ! (I am not a catholic)
There was so much in her life. I can't imagine being pregnant this way, her faith, her humility, knowing that this child, her child, is the Son of GOD..., his son on the cross..., his death, his resurrection...
It's so much for a human, a mother!

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Miriam, Mary, Jesus' mother. For her humility and openness to the Holy Spirit and for her continued role as mediatrix of graces for humanity. She is the ark continually leading us to her son, Jesus. The Theotokos, Mother of G-d. Yeah, I give her props!!! She has personally helped me in many an occasion of distress. She's the ultimate Jewish mother.

(I realize...somebody is going to be like..huh??? lol)

PinkPebbles

Hannah- she was so patient and showed self-control though she could not have children and was taunted by Penninah. We she was finally able to have a child, she sent him to worship Jehovah.

ITA! She is my favorite as well. She is a great example on how to keep your faith when all odds are against you. God demonstrated through Hannah that there is nothing that is too hard for Him.

blazingthru

ITA! She is my favorite as well. She is a great example on how to keep your faith when all odds are against you. God demonstrated through Hannah that there is nothing that is too hard for Him.
I agree I love the story of Hannah, I love the story of Hezekia's mother Abijah daughter of Zechariah, there really is no story in the bible about her but she raised her son amid horrible violence and cruelty and childrens sacrifice. Yet she remain faithful and taught her son to love the Lord and she was a child herself. there was no temple to worship in and no one like her she could go to for advice. Amazing and the bible says 2 He was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem twenty-nine years. His mother's name was Abijah [a] daughter of Zechariah. 3 He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, just as his father David had done. 4 He removed the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles. He broke into pieces the bronze snake Moses had made, for up to that time the Israelites had been burning incense to it. (It was called [b] Nehushtan. [c] )
5 Hezekiah trusted in the LORD, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before him or after him. 6 He held fast to the LORD and did not cease to follow him; he kept the commands the LORD had given Moses. I love this I just think of what kind of mother he had, His father was horrible killed his own brothers and sisters.

Last edited:

JinaRicci

I agree I love the story of Hannah, I love the story of Hezekia's mother Abijah daughter of Zechariah, there really is no story in the bible about her but she raised her son admin horrible violence and cruelty and childrens sacrifice. Yet she remain faithful and taught her son to love the Lord and she was a child herself. there was no temple to worship in and no one like her she could go to for advice. Amazing and the bible says 2 He was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem twenty-nine years. His mother's name was Abijah [a] daughter of Zechariah. 3 He did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, just as his father David had done. 4 He removed the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles. He broke into pieces the bronze snake Moses had made, for up to that time the Israelites had been burning incense to it. (It was called [b] Nehushtan. [c] )
5 Hezekiah trusted in the LORD, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before him or after him. 6 He held fast to the LORD and did not cease to follow him; he kept the commands the LORD had given Moses. I love this I just think of what kind of mother he had, His father was horrible killed his own brothers and sisters.

Thanks ladies! I love all these women. Abijah is my sister's name!

Keep them coming please. :)

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Queen Esther is my all-time favorite - She was not only beautiful but faithful, obedient, bold and confident. She listened to the Voice of Truth, even if it meant her life. :yep:

moonglowdiva

Ruth - She was determined and dilligent even though the odds were stacked against her. She also demonstrated great loyality.

Crown

All are great women!

Don't forget the woman of Canaan, another mother, no name, but Mark said that she was Greek (Syrophenician). Faith, perspicacity, humility and perseverance.

Mat. 15.21 Then Jesus went thence, and departed into the coasts of Tyre and Sidon. 15.22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. 15.23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us. 15.24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 15.25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me. 15.26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs. 15.27 And she said, Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table. 15.28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

Prudent1

My top 3? So hard b/c all of these ladies mentioned in earlier posts have served as great examples for me:yep: If I just had to pick only 3...
Sarah- I learned from her to not try to think for God. Let God be God and me be me. I learned how we as women have a tendency to try too much to control all circumstances often times w/disastrous results. She was beautiful, impatient, human but was still recorded as a faithful person in Hebrews.
Hannah- Wow to make such a declaration to God and to keep your word...wow!
Debra- Bold, intelligent, wife, mother, respected but living life in balance. Sure of herself, who she was in God, and sure of his love for her. Not like so many of the angry man bashing, marriage bashing, motherhood bashing wanna bees I sometimes encounter.:look:

JinaRicci

My top 3? So hard b/c all of these ladies mentioned in earlier posts have served as great examples for me:yep: If I just had to pick only 3...
Sarah- I learned from her to not try to think for God. Let God be God and me be me. I learned how we as women have a tendency to try too much to control all circumstances often times w/disastrous results. She was beautiful, impatient, human but was still recorded as a faithful person in Hebrews.
Hannah- Wow to make such a declaration to God and to keep your word...wow!
Debra- Bold, intelligent, wife, mother, respected but living life in balance. Sure of herself, who she was in God, and sure of his love for her. Not like so many of the angry man bashing, marriage bashing, motherhood bashing wanna bees I sometimes encounter.:look:

So true!!! We try to control everything. She could have saved herself & everyone involved so much heartache just letting God be God. Wonderful woman to learn from! :yep:

kayte

I love Ruth and Jael and the woman wh was bleeding and touched the Lord's robe
and the Shulamite~..

I feel so bad,tho..:(

I was posting a CF biblical woman of the month and forgot after month 5..
I will pick up again in Ocotober :) :)

trenise

I have loved to read of Esther, Ruth, and Hannah but I think Dorcas is my favorite and the most like how I would like to be remembered. After Dorcas died and before she was raised from the dead, people could pick up her "art" and show the beautiful things she had made and speak of what she had done for others. I want to be remembered that way She had something beautiful to show for her life.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I'll add to this, the woman with the Alabaster box. She's a very good example that what saves us is our Faith.

Jesus said of her:
Luke 7: 47
Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little."

I think she was bold, too. :laugh: Coming up in that house of rich men and pressing on to do what she came to do, despite vehement objections. :yep:

I also admire the woman with the issue of blood.. great testament of faith as well.

Crown

Adding :

Mary called Magdalene : from adultery to disciple.
Luke 8.1 And it came to pass afterward, that he went throughout every city and village, preaching and shewing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God: and the twelve were with him, 8.2 And certain women, which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene, out of whom went seven devils…

The woman of Samaria : from adultery to witness.
Jn. 4.28 The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men, 4.29 Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ? 4.30 Then they went out of the city, and came unto him.

Avyn

deborah wasn't no punk. she reminds me of my spiritual mentor. ruth was teachable, mary lazarus' sister was extremely faithful and "in love" with the Savior (not eros love, but the kind of love relationship God is looking for from all of His people) , and Timothy's mom and grandmom for their faithfulness to the truth of the word and God's servants.

eta: the proverbs 31 woman, duh!! even though she was not an actual woman, but a description of what a godly woman should be. man, if i could be all of that all the time!!!

the wife in song of solomon. she was sensual, but chaste and did not awaken love until its time.

Last edited:

LovinLocks

Oh my, I am hard-pressed to pick one. I'd like to say:

• Hadassah-she displayed godliness, humility, obedience, and courage to name a few ; but then there's . . .
  • Jephthah’s daughter, that came out dancing first and her father had promised Jehovah that whomever came out first he would dedicate that one to him. Well, it was his virgin daughter!!! Keeping her DAD'S promise involved great sacrifices on HER part. I respect her decision because I don't know that I would have. Jephthah’s daughter cooperated so as to fulfill the vows of their godly parents. (1 Samuel 1:11) As a loyal worshipper of Jehovah, Jephthah’s daughter herself was just as convinced as her father that his vow should be carried out. The sacrifice was great, for it meant that she would never get married. She wept over her virginity because every Israelite desired to have children in order to preserve the family name and inheritance. For Jephthah, fulfilling the vow meant losing the company of his beloved only child.—Judges 11:36-39.
    This faithful maiden’s life was not wasted. Full-time service at Jehovah’s house was an excellent, satisfying, and commendable way for her to honor God. Thus, “from year to year the daughters of Israel would go to give commendation to the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite.” (Judges 11:40) And surely he rejoiced in her service to Jehovah.
  • Abigail - she spoke out in an apporpriate way which saved the lives of her household. As far as we know she didn't call her husband an a-hole-which he was (guess she could have) which shows strength of character in addition to her wisdom. An excellent example IMHO.

sidney

Rebekah, she taught me that when you are about God's business and serving others in your life, God will send the person he has for you.

I also like Dorcas a lot becuase she was such a selfless woman. I feel we reach biblical womanhood when its no longer all about us, but how we can serve the people in our lives.

PinkPebbles

Rebekah, she taught me that when you are about God's business and serving others in your life, God will send the person he has for you.

I also like Dorcas a lot becuase she was such a selfless woman. I feel we reach biblical womanhood when its no longer all about us, but how we can serve the people in our lives.

Yes Indeed! I love the story how God led Abraham's servant to find Rebecca for Isaac!

Thank you for this reminder....

I truly believe that God can be a match-maker...:yep:. The Lord knows our coming and going!

Last edited: