Your Hair is Long!

lol..i was going to ask this too. I always get..'Your hair is so long'. Never knew what to say after tht. i just smile and nod my head.:look:

I think ppl who say it are looking for some kind of explanation (ie, yeah I been growing it out for 3 years OR yeah most women in my family wear their hair long...).

I think its a silly observation to make; clearly the person w/ the long hair knows that its long. Tell the person their hair looks good or ask a specific question like how they got it to that length or something.

I never really thought about it, but I guess it is an awkward question to reply to. I usually just automatically agree with a nod or a "uh huh." Sometimes I get follow up questions or compliments...sometimes I don't.

People finally think I have long hair now (I'm back to APL, but when you want WL this is "chump length" :grin:) and I'm hearing this more. I was kinda torn myself. I do think it is just an observation, but I'm figuring they wouldn't say it if they didn't like your length?! I dunno. I usually say: "Yeah, that Forum I'm always on has my hair growing. I'm finally taking care of this stuff. And those salon products help..." Either way, even though my hair is longer than my siggy right now, I personally don't consider my hair long.

Is that a compliment? Should you say thank you?

I'm sorry if this may seem like a silly question, but every now and then someone will say this to me and i'm not sure if I should say "thank you".

Most times, I smile and mouth thank you. :lol:

Growing long hair is an accomplishment and can take a lot of effort. I've decided to take it as a compliment! :lol:

My response now to, "Your hair is long!" is, "Thank you for noticing!" or "Thank you! I'll take that as a compliment!", with a genuine smile. :)

When I say someone's hair is long, I am more making an observation or pointing it out. They already know.:rolleyes::lachen:But, it is more in amazement. Now, if I say your hair is pretty or something along those lines, than I am giving a compliment.:yep: Sometimes, if it feels like a compliment to you, whether they mean it to be or not, then take it as such. But, smile and nod, because if you come out and say thank you they could take it as a person being arrogant or something.:look:

I'm sorry if this may seem like a silly question, but every now and then someone will say this to me and i'm not sure if I should say "thank you".

:lachen::lachen::lachen:
Too cute!!!!

You guys are silly!!
I want to quote so many other responses in this thread but they're too many of them!

LOL @ the reactions!

I don't know. It's just like someone saying your hair is darkly colored, or your hair is thick, those are more obvious descriptives than compliments. I usually just smile or something.

I'm not sure and I wonder what I should say as well. Normally I say something like... "hmm, Thank you."

I think it probably is a compliment since many believe having long hair is a good thing. But you never know.

My 11 yo daughter says that all of the time to me about people. It's annoying. Her hair broke off after she snuck and put a relaxer in it.

She says it to me and my hair is just making it to collarbone. Long is relative because my hair is the longest it's ever been without locs. Seeing some of y'all hair and I feel baldheaded.

Seeing some of my sisters at work and I feel like Cher.

I guess it depends on who it is. Why do people like to reach out and touch long hair when it's down. Is it the equivalent of being pregnant and people saying 'ooh, your stomach is big' and then reaching to touch it?:nono:

The issue of whether it's a compliment or not lies with the recepient.
If you like it 'thank you' if you don't '**** you' it's as simple as that.
It's like someone walking into your home and saying 'wow, your furniture is so old.' If you like modern furniture than it's a '**** you but if you like antiques than it's I LOOOOVE you! :)

I'd just nod my head and say ""yeah it is..."

they are stating the obvious...

:lachen: I feel you girl, sometimes people will say that to me, then there is an ackward silence after I say thank you or just smile. Now, I kinda just laugh it off:ohwell:

See...to me it depends on who's saying it and HOW they say it. In other words, intuition kinda tells you if they meant it as a complement versus an observation versus if they were just "baiting you" to see if you would respond with "Yeah girl Felicia over at Weaves R Us really hooked me up!"

I never know what to make of it. I mean its merely a statement of fact, not really a compliment. It's usually said with surprise or astonishment. Half the time I end up saying, "not really" because my idea of what long hair is has been forever altered by this board.

I never know what to make of it. I mean its merely a statement of fact, not really a compliment. It's usually said with surprise or astonishment. Half the time I end up saying, "not really" because my idea of what long hair is has been forever altered by this board.

Yeah...most of the time someone says I have long hair my response is...

"You think so?" :look:

or...

"Really?" :look:

See...to me it depends on who's saying it and HOW they say it. In other words, intuition kinda tells you if they meant it as a complement versus an observation versus if they were just "baiting you" to see if you would respond with "Yeah girl Felicia over at Weaves R Us really hooked me up!"
:lachen::lachen:

I get that a lot when I wear my hair straight but I don't take it as a compliment. It's more of an observation. I usually just respond with "Yes, it's growing."

Back