How do you respond when someone tells you that your hair is long?

Why not say something like, "Thanks, I had to work hard to achieve this length" or is that cocky? I dunno. But thanks seems appropriate. It's better than not saying anything at all and just cheesing in their face.

Maybe you should just say: "I know" (smile) and keep it moving... :)

I've done that in a...joking way. I've said thanks with a smile and sometimes just smiled.

I think the best thing is to do what you feel most comfortable with.:yep:

like everyone else I, I say thank you, and then I start to talk to them about thier hair! then if they seem receptive to tips I tell them any and every trick/tip, that I know of , also stating that not all things work for all people, I dont hold back because there is room for us all at the top!

I sometimes wonder what the appropriate response is when someone tells a woman that her hair is long.

I used to say "thank you" but then I started to think that a "thank you" isn't really warranted. It's not like the person is saying "I love your hair" or "That hairstyle is cute." If your hair is long, and it's obvious that it's long, then do you just say "Yes, it is" or is that considered rude?

I think of it as being comparable to saying "Your hair color is black." If it really is black, that's not the type of comment that would deserve a "thank you" since it's obviously black and therefore the comment wasn't necessarily a compliment, right?

If someone says "Your hair is long" and you say "I know" or "Yes, it is," that's not being rude. It's a fact.

at first i wanna say "thank you" but then i'm like..."what?" so i usually just like smile and shrug or something or say "it's not that long"

Well, you know most people mean it as a compliment. We just overanalyze things sometimes. B/c, honestly, it's not a FACT. Long hair is a relative thing.

Remember all those polls on "what do you consider long hair"? Some said APL, some said MBL, etc. etc. Even though my hair isn't long to ME, I'm perfectly aware that in the midst of chopped n screwed black hair out there, it's pretty on point. I take the compliment for what it is.

So, whoever says that to you is essentially saying "Your hair looks good and is long to me. Good job on getting it that way!" or "Your hair is long, nice and pls tell me how you got it that way!". . .I wish I would tell someone their hair is long and not get a thank you or an explanation of how it got that way :rolleyes: How rude!

Last edited:
Back