Your shorter/weaker areas?

P

patient1

The very front of my hair grows a bit slower than the rest (at least an inch or more shorter). The hair is pretty healthy I think I just have some slight thinning there (probably stress from pulling back, braiding, harsh facial cleansers getting on the hair line,etc.)

My "corners" (hair areas in front of hairline on either side of the forehead are naturally thinner/finer (it's always been that way so I don't worry so much)

The part that really bothers me is the dead center of my head in the back. The portion that hits the pillow or floor if you lay flat on your back. The hair in this area always gets the most confounded splits, remains dry, thinner, coarser, shorter than the rest of my hair. I have a bad habit of pulling at this area too feeling for damage and splits and pulling whole hairs out for inspection.

Does anyone else have similar trouble spots? How do you manage them? Recently I flat ironed my natural hair (using shea butter) and did a 1/2 inch trim all over. I trimmed even deeper in the back area because it seemed more damaged. I'm also trying to resist the urge to pick that area. :perplexed

I apply either wild growth oil or a glovers mix to that specific area more than the rest of my hair.

I wonder if it will always just be shorter, etc. because of it's positioning. The very back of my hair(fastest growing) is about twice the length of that area.

Enough complaining.
Any comments?Advice?
(Im)Patient1

lovechic

Yes, my hairline and nape area have always been shorter/weaker than the rest of my hair! I keep those sections moisturized to stave off breakage! Slowly, but sholy I'm seeing some progress! :ohwell:

curlilocs

In the past, the front left side of my hair has always been the weakest, thus seeming like it never grew. My bangs on that side would never grow past my chin so I always kept my hair in layers. I am curious to see if this will change now that I'm natural. I have noticed that the curl pattern is a bit looser in this area.

honeycomb719

My shorter/weaker areas are the front/sides, my nape area, and the center/crwon are which is very kinky/wiry. I dont know what the prob is in these areas :confused:

HairQueen

My front left is completely different texture to the rest of my hair. Much drier and more wirey and grows the slowest. The only way I have gotten this area to improve is by wearing cornrows (since feb) and frequent washing and deep conditioning - minimum 2 times per week.

The middle part is drier and crispier but I finally worked out that was due to YEARS of overprocessing (as the relaxer always gets applied my hairdresser there first) and blowdrying. I no longer blow dry and since stretching my relaxers that are has vastly improved. I just have about an inch left to trim then I will be wire-free in the middle!

Last edited:

esoterica

My problem area is my hairline at the front. It seems much weaker and much less dense than the rest of my hair. Hopefully Surge will fix that over the next couple of months.

KathyMay

Lord knows that I have HAD my weak area in my hair this was a year ago. I have fine but coarse 4a/b hair and my EX hairdressers once to over processed my hair and my weak area just couldnt take it so I stop going to the salon and surged my hair and used protective styles and now I am almost at shoulder length. It takes a lot of patience and TLC for those thin/weak areas in your hair to get stronger.

joyous

Patient1, I have the same weak area as you. I never had any problems with this area in the past. In fact it was one of the longest parts of my hair. I attribute my current problems to bunning 99% of the time.I've been working on this area lately trying to find alternatives. My problem area used to be my front and sides but they've grown down to my chest since I've been on this forum and learned how to care for them.

Diane71

Asphyxxia, I have the same problem area as you. My front hairline/bang area and my sides right above my ear are not as thick and course as the crown back and nape area. You really can't tell that its a little thinner because I blend it in with the rest of my hair which hides it when I wear it down, and that is rare. I just apply stimulating oils or hair creme's to those problem areas 2-3 times a week and its thickening up slowly but surely.

"Don't talk about it, be about it!!"

weaveadiva

i swear the sides of my hair do not grow :mad:
i believe it's because the hair there is kinkier/drier, which leads to breakage (for me, anyway)
i keep it super moist and bother it as little as possible

Belle Du Jour

My hair is very odd. The back grows faster except for this one area in the middle of my nape. My hairline is weaker from braids, so I have to be extra gentle there. The hair on my crown is the coarsest/kinkiest and it had the most shrinkage. It's also very dense in that area.

My hair has always been shorter right smack in the middle. This is why I have always had layers. For the past year, I have paid special attention to that section by going crazy with moisturizer to retain legenth and avoiding tension with hair clips/clamps. Funny, I just measured it this morning to begin tracking growth progress for that section alone (8 inches).

Peachtree

patient1 said:
...Does anyone else have similar trouble spots? How do you manage them? ...

Yep, my trouble area is my crown. When I chopped off my relaxed ends, I also chopped about 3" of natural hair off my crown. Right today, that area is far shorter than the rest of my hair... but what bothers me is that it doesn't seem to grow at the same rate as the other areas... sometimes it doesn't seem to be growing at all. :mad: I wear buns & up-dos 90% of the time, so it's not visible. Others tell me they don't see any problems..."It looks good to me", kinda comments, but I know it's shorter ....

I was taking vits to speed up my grow rate, but I'm not disciplined enough to adhere to a vit regimen :(

.... Oh well... I'll just keep it moisturized, keep manipulation at a minimum, & keep sporting up-dos until my crown grows out (to my liking).

brittanynic16

I don't have any weak areas but the back is about an inch shorter than the rest of my hair because I has really bad scab hair when I first did the BC. I knew it was scab hair because it basically came out of my head split. It is fine now, just a bite shorter.

SherryLove

my weakest spot is definitely the lower middle portion of my head... the hair that grows out of the scalp there is usually shorter and thinner..when i was younger, i i fell on that part of my head; and i truly think that has a lot to do with it. it became a little better once i started using AO products..

The area in the back where I wear my ponytail/bun is a weak and short area for me.

When I was stretching for months I noticed that that area grows in kinkier than the rest. It also grows in slower so when I would get it relaxed every 7 weeks it was prone to overlapping.

I'm stetching to at least every 12 weeks now to give the back section more time to gain enough new growth.

I've been wearing ponytails and buns so I've braided that area in little braids so that there isn't much stress on individual hair strands.

Babygurl

Before taking good care of my hair I had a trouble spot in my crown. MY crown is 4b and VERY resistant to everything. It grows in very thick, but at the same time is a very weak area that used to break and never really grew past 2 inches. Ive since learned to baby that area, more moisture, more care, more everything. It now is no longer a problem for me.

VelvetRain

I am truly sick of these short hairs around my hairline. Geez it's been over a year now since my hair started breaking and it completley grown back everywhere else. It's just taking too long.

meia

I think my shorter and weaker areas would have to be the back of my hair's, the hairline, and the ends in general

the hairline is receeding..ive always had a running theory that its because of the relaxers killing the hair at the front because my hairline is ALWAYS thinner once i get a relaxer and once i get my hair to the length i want it no more relaxing whatsoever..

the back of my hair is always in worser condition because i cant even reach back there! :lol: lol and since i cant, i cant take care of it the way i really wanted to..

the ends are bad because ive always wanted to retain length so i sacrificed strength for length..which is dumb and naive now that i think about it..